Y&R: Maria Arena Bell interview

• Members

I kind of find it hard to take him seriously, and his passions change with the blowing wind. He's like a less articulate Daniel Coleridge. Both vapid and OTT. But his column's a great place for scoop and news, so I have it bookmarked.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I agree.

As we said elsewhere, Nelson is an "entertainer", not a "journalist". He has publicly written that he is not a journalist. So, you have to read it in that vein, and enjoy that kind of entertainment. Think Don Rickles or Joan Rivers. They could eviscerate with humor, but also be completely fawning when -- for example -- conducting interviews.

Nelson brings us closer, in his fashion, to the people who drive the industry than almost any other magazine or site. Thus, for serving as the liaison between "us" and "them", I feel he earns credit.

Regardless, it is clear that NB has become the Bell's "in-house organ". He gets the "scoops" and releases the highest profile interviews. Thus, Nelson and the Bells are useful to one another.

That said, he pulls few punches with B&B...(or P&G or DOOL or ATWT). So, one senses that he is not afraid to burn bridges. That is both a good-and-bad thing.

• Administrator

I liked reading MAB's answers and you can tell she's not there just because of "family obligation" - I hope we can put that idea to rest.

But yeah, it was tough getting through Nelson's questions.

• Members

You know those soap opera star public appearances.

Where fans ring around the actors and shriek and ask probing questions like "What it is to do bedroom scenes" and "Who is your favorite co-star to kiss?" and all that stuff?

I feel like that inner shrieking fan drives Nelson. THAT IS NOT ALL A BAD THING. He has not yet become jaded and disinterested and perfunctory. He puts himself and his inner fan. Clearly, with someone like MAB, her quotes suggest she found it was funny and tickling and engaging. She didn't take it seriously, but it made the conversation fun.

Plus, we have FrenchFan and Toups for the serious, probing questions. No sarcasm here....thank heavens for that!

• Members

She has a unique way of working around Nelson's questions. And she wanted to showcase HUMOUR in an Emmy reel for Outstanding DRAMA Series? Really? The humour she does isn't sophisticated Santa Barbara-type humour, and more than often, I find it lame. Gloria and Jeffrey are both polarizing characters, you either detest them, or you love them.

• Members

Yeah back to the emmy real I'm still trying to figure out what she picked to showcase. The comedy with Amber that counted for comedy last year I remember as being really annoying and Gloria and Jeff were nothing but annoying (maybe very few exceptions) last year

• Members

Does anyone know EXACTLY what airdate she is referencing (airdate)? Kay-Marge crash. I'd like to see either the transcript or the youtube...because I cannot imagine what humor she is referring to. My recollection is that it was very serious...but maybe Kevin was being silly with Amber and that cash in his safe. I'd like to hunt this ep down, if anyone knows...

• Members

I'm pretty sure Arena Bell is talking about Friday 11/07/08.

In that show, there WAS a lot of Paris (Nick and Sharon met at the cafe). Which makes me think this is NOT the episode MAB is discussing....since she seemed to suggest Paris was minimal in this episode.

Sources of humor?

Marge Marge Marge. She was a big part of that.

There was Jeff-Gloria. Jeff had seen a drunken Marge and told Gloria that Kay was "lit up like a Christmas tree".

Other than that...Jack had gotten Adam to send his diary to The Sophisticate. Eden and Noah were going to the Pere Lachaise cemetery. Amber was giving Kevin the third degree regarding yelling at Mrs. C. Ashley found Victor's reference to St. Nonnatus at the monastery---then saw him in the gardens of Notre Dame.

• Members

Word to everything here.

I wouldnt give HS credit for just about everything. That man is a disaster when given control. I will give him this, he came on and soaped it up. But i do feel without MAB he would be awful. Look at the last half of his ATWT run or... well 90% of his Days.

• Members

Great interview, on Ma's part at least. Nelson...just idk.

Y&R is soooo not about humor lol It has humor, but it's very, very subtle humor, and that's what works for it. You can't compare Y&R's humor with AMC's over-the-top style of humor. I do agree with her about the stunt episodes, though...if you just watch the episodes that were submitted, you really get nothing about what those particular shows are about. Not that you really get that in regular episodes either, but you can at least get a feel of it. I think it would be interested if all of the shows submitted truly normal, run-of-the-mill episodes one year.

Interesting comments about whatever is coming up in regards to characters being gay. I love her rationale...that it's just "a part of life" and really a "storyline." THANK GOD she's not gonna go the "coming-out story" route because she is RIGHT, that ish has been done to death. If someone wants to be inspired by a coming-out story, there are dozens and dozens of well-done movies and TV episodes that they can watch. It's time for more stories that are about relationships and the effects of relationships. I'm really starting to think about Philip el Cuarto, based on her "real life" remark. Don't Ask, Don't Tell? Especially with the frequent reminders that he's in the service.

I wish she would have spoken more about the Engen situation. The two parties that I wanted to hear the most from on it basically danced around the whole story, so whatever. I'm over it.

Archived