Y&R: Maria Arena Bell interview

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was really shocked by that too. I mean you have an interviewer who just broke the biggest story in daytime for the last week, and he has the "horse's mouth" in front of him and I don't see any mention.

It makes you wonder. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and try to think that maybe the Interview took place before the controversy happened which is why it wasn't touched. But if it did happen after the controversy it casts more doubt on the whole situation because how do you break the biggest story in daytime right now, have people call your sources questionable, and doubt your story and not at least attempt to follow up on it.

He did more follow up or at least attempted more follow up with the Days story than he has with this. Or maybe he is just scared to do anything that would make Bell mad. He obviously wants to impress her.

IF there is any truth to what Chris said about leaving after meeting with them and not walking out, it is better for Bell and group to leave it as it is with so many people wanting to believe the rumors.

After the bad publicity they got with Walton and Thomas Scott, they need to look good and right now they still do. Nelson's report that was picked up and reported cast all the blame on Engen and none on them.

So maybe she wanted it left that way. I would doubt that Nelson would go against her, because it would stop any future scoops coming to him.

• Members

Oh and someone else pointed this out on another board.

Do any of you possibly think that the remarks about the gay stories might be advanced publicity. To get it out there that they plan more gay stories in the future. If this gay story has a dark element to it as some rumors are indicating, could they fear outrage from the gay community. What better way to let them know that more gay stories are planned in the future.

I didn't even think of it that way when I read it. But it is a possibility.

• Members

Oh, I agree 100%... I just think it's glaringly obvious that Y&R's current renaissance owes as much, if not more, to Sheffer and Rauch's influence as MAB's. And yet all we hear about is how great MAB is, and what MAB has done to/for the show... by the same people who saw how awful and dull the show was when it was JUST her.

I don't blame MAB for it, heck, in this interview even SHE acknowledges that the show didn't really gel until they all started working together.

• Members

We're seeing vagueness on both MAB and Engen's side. That's a legal agreement, I'm sure of it.

But, in that context, I thought MAB was quite explicit about several things:

Translation: He was not pushed. He could have stayed.

Translation: He's also willing to do the job we have scripted. And he's "equipped", which implies that Engen may not have had the training and/or personal resources to take on something as challenging as what we have planned for Adam. My words: Maybe Engen is unable to separate himself from the character he is playing as well as a well-trained actor might?

Translation: Adam is heavy in story, and all those who feel he is being written into a corner may not see all that we have planned.

Translation: We liked the new evil Adam and how Chris played him. We may not have been as satisfied until now. Thus, there is an irony that just as Chris was making Adam into what we wanted, Chris rejected continuing in the part. But it was DEFINITELY Chris' decision. He was not pushed.

But the "I won't comment" certainly sounds like a gag order is in place.

I would also add that it definitely doesn't sound to me like he'll be blacklisted or whatever. It sounds like they let him go. So, in the end, I feel like Y&R gets 100% for compassion.

• Members

I didn't see everything that Mark saw, but again it comes down to interpretation. I especially didn't read into it the part about Adam not being painted into a corner. I don't know whether he is or not, but I didn't get that from Bell's statement.

The one thing I definitely agree wtih Mark's intepretaion on is the only part that is 100% clear - it was Chris' decision to leave. But that was never in doubt anyway.

I thought the well equipped part had nothing to do with Chris at all - just emphasizing to anyone reading that might now know him or is an Engen fan that Muhney needs to be given a chance because he is a good actor and based on his theater training is a talented actor well-equipped to play this fascinating role.

And that I never doubted either. I have no qualms about Muhney's talent from the few clips I have seen of him.

Basically I thought what she had to say was even more vague than what Engen said. She just said hers in less words. LOL

• Members

i wasnt surprised she didnt speak out much on the CE situation. It would have been unprofessional.

I also dont think the gay storylines ahve anything to do with getting press. I also love how it seems theya re not really coming out storylines because i freakin hate them. Dawsons Creek did it right with Jack... and thats the only tv show i can think of that pulled it off. I also hate how the gays on soaps have to be heroes and good guys. Andrew Van de Camp anyone? Yes. please.

• Members

And we all know who to thank for that.

Why anybody on this board (or any board for that matter) jumps all over his "scoops" after all of this crap over the last year is beyond me. I hate to sound all high-and-mighty, but the fact that anything he says is still something we feel the need to debate and discuss over and over, endlessly in these threads, positively astounds me. He is the ONLY person creating this hype, and everybody buys it, hook, line and sinker. And even those who don't buy it, still feel the need to talk about it. It's why he still has a job as a columnist.

Sorry. I don't mean to be a jerk. Just venting. [/vent mode off]

• Members

:wub::wub::wub: Definitely my two favorite coming-out stories on mainstream TV shows. I can sit down and watch some S2 Creek right NOW just to watch that awesome string of episodes. Pacey standing up for Jack? So much win. That show might have downplayed Jack and his stories a lot (and they really did), but I can give them a pass because of two things: A, from episode 1 to episode 128, that show was ALL about Dawson/Joey/Pacey and even Jen fell into the background along the way; and B, whenever they did toss Jack some crumbs, it was great stuff. I miss, miss, miss, miss, miss that little show dearly. I may have been the only person in the world who mourned Jen's death a year ago.

Ahem. Sorry. Carry on with MAB/Y&R discussion.

• Members

Coming out stories can be difficult, and repetitive, but they can also serve to give people a reason to care. I don't know how many people will care about Rafe, he's more of a plot point than a character.

There are only a handful of gay characters on soaps. I'd rather see more well-written gay characters than worry about having gay villains as a balance.

Archived