Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Maybe @vetsoapfan or someone actively following the soaps at this time can comment on the competition between them and how difficult in the pre-internet and even pre-VCR days it was to keep up with all of them, especially when major developments and stories were unfolding. 

In a week where AW expanded to 90 minutes, Roger's rape of Holly on GL, the Wade Meecham murder on EON, and Karen Wolek's testimony on OLTL - how the heck could you keep up if you followed all these shows, lol? Were some of these stories looked upon fondly only years later but weren't at the time (obviously AW's 90 minute expansion seemed to be a bomb from the start)? 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

To me, the 1970s were the very best years of the soap opera genre. I mean, we had William J. Bell, Pat Falken Smith, Agnes Nixon, Henry Slesar, Douglas Marland, Harding Lemay, Claire Labine, the Dobsons, Ann Marcus, Rick Edelstein, Robert Soderberg and Edith Sommer, Gordon Russell and Sam Hall, etc., at the top of their game, giving us riveting storylines that were must-see TV. Trying to keep up with all the shows during that decade was a herculean challenge. At first I recorded them all on multiple audio cassette recorders (which I set up in different rooms of the house), but as soon as I could afford a VCR (in 1976), I bought one of those. And then another. I would use my Beta to record from one network, my VHS to record from a second network, and then watch the third network live. If I had to be out of the house, I would use my old standby, an audio tape recorder, to tape the third network.

Back then, soaps were a HUGE money-maker for all the networks, so because millions of dollars in profit were at stake, competition was always fierce. Lousy writers and incompetent producers did not last for YEARS as they would later on, when ratings (and profits) plummeted and the networks and P&G lost interest in putting out quality product anymore.

Back then, the audience EXPECTED to see great soap opera because it was what we were used to; what we demanded. Competition to produce quality television was strong, because viewers had so many good soaps to choose from, and wouldn't settle for mediocre (or worse) drivel.

How times have changed! Today, the audience is served nothing but drivel, and we are grateful to see ANYTHING on ANY remaining show that rises to the level of, "not as awful as usual."

• Members

Actress Sally Spencer (M.J. McKinnon) has passed away   

From Ed Frye:   "My friend and colleague, Sally Spencer, passed away yesterday. She had been ill with leukemia, treated, home and by all accounts doing well.

She and I were "almost TV man and wife", but we were instant and long term friends. I'm heartsick at this news. She is one of those vivid, generous, loving, wise, smiling souls that the world can never have enough of.

After TV, she put all of her deep empathy and intelligence to work as an educator. Dr. Sally Spencer at Cal State is worth reading about. https://www2.calstate.edu/…/past-awardees/Pages/spencer.aspx

May the Angels sing to you in seven octaves of welcome, Sally, to that place of beauty and rest you so richly deserve. See you further along, my friend."

Please register in order to view this content

Rest in Peace

• Members

Sally had a bad hand at AW, as she was a recast of an actress who had made a strong impression in the role, and she was handed a misogynist, ugly storyline that mostly called for her to be victimized. 

I liked her work. I thought she had a sweetness and vulnerability about her and she made me care about MJ even though the writing did not. 

I'm sorry to hear she's gone. She was clearly a great person, especially if a co-star of 30 years ago was still a part of her life.

• Members

I think from a story point of view, when MJ was introduced she was dealing with not being perceived as sufficiently feminine because police detective was "traditionally male". So the little detail that she had been saddled with a masculine name was to flavour that. In the May 4 1984 episode which is on YouTube, when MJ arrives at Larry's dressed for the party, he makes a comment about how much of a sensation she would create if she dressed like that at work.

• Members

Well, it does make sense when you put it like that.

I wish the writers hadn’t nixed their Larry and M.J affair story. It would’ve provided Kathleen Layman, Rick Porter and Gail Brown with some good material and it would’ve been a lot better than that Miami Vice rip-off drug storyline that they saddled Larry with.