Another World

• Members

I thought David Forsyth was offered recurring at the time of Anna Holbrook's dismissal and he turned it down. Not sure if that's true. It could just be a faulty memory. haha. 

Even though I had never watched Sharon Gabet on EON, I was thrilled when I read she was coming to AW because I was aware of her popularity. The show was a mess her whole time there. I wish she had been a rival to Donna in some way (former boarding school roommate or something) who came to town and stirred up trouble. Maybe if she flirted with Peter to get under Donna's skin (much like Cecile and Peter back in the day) and was a peer to them instead of a weak, abused character her stint could have worked better. Just IMO. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That poor kid lol. He experienced so much loss in such a short amount of time. Whatever happened to him anyway? Did Liz say where he was when she came back in 1987?

It was like she was completely changed with every writer. Tomlin wrote her as a traumatized deaf girl, Hall and Spencer wrote her as a scheming vixen and DePriest wrote as an abused wife.

• Members

After losing her son Bill, Aunt Liz should have fought to keep Kevin in Bay City with her, upon Sally's death. I supposed we can imagine the child went to live with his grandmother, Alice, but viewers should not have to guess and fill in the blanks for ourselves. You are right: awful writing.

• Members

Yes, it was awful writing.   AW could have utilized  SORASED Cory and Jeanne Ewing and Kevin Thatcher along with teens Matthew and Josie in 1988.  Remember the brother and sister,  Kevin (how ironic) and Tracy Julian, who were involved in the Matthew and Josie in the teen chat line storyline.  Tracy was played by future 90210 star Gabrielle Carteris.  The show even introduced a father for Kevin and Julian named Frank.  He was played by John Spencer who would later go on to success on The West Wing.  Later in 1988, AW cast Luke Perry (90210) as Kenny a frat boy who was a border at the Frame family farm who liked Josie.  The roles of Kenny and Kevin Julian could have easily been a SORASED Kevin Thatcher or Cory Ewing.

• Members

That was the reason given, but the writer who pushed that idea didn't last long (I think it was DePriest) and for the next year and a half Cass was a lawyer and had a backburner romance with Donna. I think he was put on recurring and then eventually made contract again after Richard Culliton began using him more and his romance with Lila took off. 

I may be wrong about the recurring part, I don't know.

• Members

Hers or NBC's, I assume. Most of the older actors were frozen out in that period. I remember some fan talk that Linda Dano stepped in to help Schnetzer as it could have been very easy to just completely write Cass out at this point, but I don't know if that's true. 

• Members

It probably is true. It's almost like there was a war going on between NBC and P&G at that time over AW. Half of the camp wanted to turn it into a DOOL clone and the other half wanted it cancelled. Either way, I don't think there ever was a soap that was as sabotaged as much as AW was in its final years. 

• Members

I need some help and don’t know where else to turn to ask. 

I’ve been watching the SoapNet run of AW. It appears that most of May 1990-December 1990 is missing. I’m super disappointed in that because I never got to see the fall of 1990 as I went to college and didn’t have a VCR that first semester. Since SoapNet re-aired it, I find it hard to believe that someone out there didn’t keep every episode. Am I looking for it wrong? I used to be able to just put in “Another World June 1989” (or similar) and a ton of videos would pop up. Any help would be appreciated. I never found out who tried to kill Jake and would love to finally watch that storyline play out!