Another World

• Members

I thought that MJ and Jamie were much better suited than MJ and Larry. There wasn't much soap-level drama in their relationship and that was probably what I found refreshing in it. 

Larry spent a lot of time supporting Catlin's murder trial and I think there must have been a about a year between the time MJ moved on to Jamie and when Larry's Plains Motel story started. Larry was sort of undercover and I remember he was in a position where Clarice thought he was having an affair because the wife (girlfriend?) of the head criminal thought he was available.

Edited by Xanthe

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

AW was all over the place in the Summer of 1985.  The show had recently lost Mary Page Keller (Sally), Jacqueline Courtney (Alice), and David Oliver (Perry).  Rachel still had amnesia from a story that began in early March.  Larry was involved in the Miami Vice ripoff story which featured Chris Noth (Law & Order and Sex in the City) and Roxann Caballero (Star Trek Voyager) as two of the "bad guys" that were involved with the drug dealers.  Nancy had become hooked on Ecstasy after Perry's death.  Cass, Felicia, and the new Sally (Taylor Miller) became involved in the Le Soleil spa story with Michaud, Daphne,  and Daniel.  None of these stories were really working, and things would only get worse in the fall with the urn that Carl Hutchins filled with poisonous dust from an Egyptian tomb in an attempt to kill Mac and Rachel.   This storyline was horrible!   The only story that was really working at this time was Victoria's introduction as Marley's twin.  Looking at the credits from the episode below, there were 46 credited actors in the crawl- way too many forgettable characters in a short period of time.

• Members

Jamie could've been involved with the three of them as well, and made it a quadrangle. The storyline could've played out well into 1985. I guess I just would've liked to seen Clarice have a really strong story. From the little bit I've seen on YT, it seemed to me that by 1985, the writers didn't know what to do with her. It also really sucked that Clarice and Larry weren't given an exit story either, they just disappeared.

True, but the thing about AW was that, no matter how bad it got, you still would love to see more of it. I feel the same way about 1982. And yeah, the poison dust story was absolutely ridiculous. How did Grant even come to contact with it if Mac had it anyway?

• Members

1985 was definitely a mess which was so unfortunate because 1984 was one of my favourite years in AW's history.  But at least in 1985 we had our favourites onscreen.  1986/1987 saw the elimination of the Matthews, Ewings and Hardings.  In my opinion the show never truly recovered from Margaret DePriest's first stint.   

• Members

I wish I could find the interview with DePriest, John Whitesell and Donna Swajeski (she worked at NBC then).  They talked about how the were resetting the show around 3 families (Corys, Loves and McKinnnons) and Cass / Felicia.  They literally bragged about how the cast was almost completely different.

Found it!

https://classicsodaw.tumblr.com/post/162125238869/classicsodnews-another-world-makes-its-move

• Members

Lol and what good it did. DePriest and Swajeski were the ones who wrote the McKinnons out just a few years later. I'm glad Liz was brought back, but in my opinion a lot of characters, particularly Sally, Catlin and Zane should never have been written out. 

• Members

The longevity of a character like Larry Ewing is remarkable.  He was the lone survivor of both the Hobson and Ewing families.  I think he existed at the police station beyond the last appearance of his wife Clarice.  He was a voice of reason for Clarice, Blaine, and Caitlin, but outlasted them all.  I wonder the ratio of the ubiquitous nature of the character that allowed him to be in multiple storylines versus the likability of the actor that is the cause of such a long life for a fairly underdeveloped guy.

• Members

Grant Todd was the maître'd at the North Woods Inn.  Somehow the Egyptian urn was left at the North Woods Inn, and Grant inhaled the dust causing a heart attack that killed him right before Christmas.  Nancy found the urn at the North Woods Inn and gave it to Mac and Rachel as a Christmas gift.  I'd like to know who at NBC and P&G green lighted this storyline, going so far as to take out a whole page ad in the TV Guide- definitely SMH.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by watson71

• Members

Carl's plan was to kill only Mac. He was very particular that he didn't want any harm to come to Rachel. But the plan didn't really have any safeguards to protect Rachel or anyone else, and it dragged out over weeks. Nancy bought the jar in Egypt as a present for Mac. Carl filled it with toxic "tomb dust". One of the maids at the Cory mansion opened it and died. No one suspected the jar had anything to do with it so the jar floated around to different people and places for a few weeks before Grant breathed the dust in. And no one suspected the jar in Grant's illness either, so Nancy just incidentally recognized it and took it back to give to Mac again. By the time Mac got the jar, since it had already been opened twice, its poison had been diluted, so he wasn't as badly affected. Also I believe Dr Chris Chapin was able to use what he had learned from Grant's illness to cure Mac.

• Members

Actor Robert Milli, who played Dwayne on Another World, has passed away.   Dewayne was a villain and was murdered by Walter Curtin (Val Dufour).

Mr. Milli also appeared on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, One Life to Live (in two roles), The Guiding Light, and All My Children.