Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another World wasn't just about evil twins or getting possessed by the devil. It was about friendships, sometimes between men and women (and they never sleep together! I know! It's a real thing that happens!). It was about parents and children, and the various ups and downs in those relationships. Stories had ripple effects, and sometimes...there were whole four minutes scenes where people talked to each other! When I discovered it in the 80s, there was a warmth and a humor and a comfort to Bay City I latched on to immediately. So imagine my surprise when the show I FINALLY got my foot in the door as a Writers Intern was none other than Another World. It was everything in me to keep my excitement to a minimum. After all, I didn't want to tip off that I was a fan. I was a professional, damnit. But there I was...working with Dano and Schnetzer and Wyndham and Eplin. And yet...much to my surprise, that wasn't the coolest part.

Nobody talks about the people behind the scenes. The coordinators and the producers and the PAs and the ADs. No one talks about how when you work in those trenches, you're pretty much bonded for life.

Kelsey was a blast of sanity in an insane world. She was the person you could look to and say, "this is lunacy, right?" And she would say in a soft voice, "uh, yeah." She was my link to Normal. She's living a much quieter life now. But even as I was watching her with her husband and kids and (huge!!) dog, I kept seeing that Emmy on her mantle. And kept thinking: "We did that. HELLS, YEAH!" - Tommy Casiello

• Members

Not that long ago an "Another World" fan got in touch with me to see if I could help her out. She was looking for a specific "Carl & Rachel" Youtube Clip. She knew that she'd seen it. She knew that Rachel had on all white & Carl had on a light blue shirt with collar. She knew that it was either 1998 or 1999. She knew that the twins had been born but were staying with members of the family, not with Rachel. Rachel was out trying to "find herself". She knew that it was all dialogue, no music. I found all that out by interrogating Tammy & then I wrote it all up efficiently & sent it to 3 people who did lots of clips in the past & posted it on Facebook everywhere "Another World" fans gather & there are a lot of places! Within just a few days people had found the YT clip & I sent it to her. She was very excited & most grateful & wanted to thank me. So, yesterday I got a card from her - a $100 Visa Gift Debit Card! How great is that?!!!

It is one of Chase4ever's uploads.
The entire list of my "Another World" videos can be found here--listed in chronological order:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4VcbQ8kMdHI2rQKUB4owOFg_9whbHqbT
The only ones I have for the year of 1999 starts with 1990430FriAW which can be found by scrolling way down the list to that video.-Chase4ever

• Members

Corrine Jacker was the write who wrote out Bev's character (Pat).

She needed her salary to populate Bay City with Black characters like Quinn Harding.

—Anonymous

Please register in order to view this content

Park Slope, Brooklyn, Sept. 11, 2001

Anyone know if Connie's girlfriends were in the business?

—Anonymous

Victoria, recent

• Members

Special thanks to chase4evercox.net for finding this. At the very beginning of the clip (you may have to rewind back to the beginning; I did.) Shown is Felicia & Wally, scared to death, screaming that they're going to hit TOPS, going downhill, in a truck. I think Wally is driving.

It's just been years since I've seen this. We have a personal friend of Brent Collins on our "I Miss Another World" Facebook folder & she keeps feeding us anecdotes & we keep eating them up.

• Members

An actor's anecdote from this SOAPnet AW Reunion about working with Ellen Wheeler's Marley and her Vicky ... Kale Browne (Michael Hudson) said that all of a sudden you wouldn't know who you were working with. And, you'd have to check her feet to be sure. EW's Marley stood pigeon-toed and EW's Vicky stood with her feet pointing out. Wheeler, who was there on stage, did not seem to know about this!

• Members

from "Afternoon TV presents Soap the History Part 1 by Dynasty Media Publishing Corp. © 1984, Editor Mimi Leahey, Another World, Pg. 12- 20. (This book misspelled Procter & Gamble repeatedly, using Proctor & Gamble, with an o instead of with an e.) Agnes Nixon defected to create OLTL and AMC. The year was 1967. New Headwriter Lemay had an ax to grind. He hated the show's format and most of its characters, whom he found to be trite, dull, and uninspiring. His first executive action was to change the show's opening statement. No longer were emotions and feelings the "other world" implied by the title. Instead Lemay conceived of "another world" to focus on the world to which we all would love to belong, the world of hopes, dreams and ambitions. ... Lemay interfered in the marriage of Pat & John Randolph. ... The ratings improved, the show grew in popularity, and Proctor & Gamble was pleased. ... The love triangle between Alice, Steve and Rachel was also a Lemay brainstorm. However, Robin Strasser decided to leave the show and Victoria Wyndham was hired to play Rachel. She was no longer vicious & immoral. She mellowed, softened, and became vulnerable. They SORAS'd Jamie to the age of 13. Alice left for New York & to work for the Carrington family. A character called Louise Gardner was the Carrington's eccentric housekeeper. This was the time of the Watergate scandal. The execs insisted that the story in Bay City was just a coincidence. Reinholt was unhappy with Lemay's concept of his character. It showed in his portrayal & on the set. Rauch grew tired of him & his arrogance & fired him. Soon after Jacqueline Courtney was also fired. There were exchanges of contempt for each other in the soap press. ... This magazine sums up this much of Another World with the word "convoluted."