April 20-24, 2009

Toups

• Members

I honestly think she was the one stopping him and it got to a point where enough was enough. I don't think ABC should have gotten rid of her in 2001. Anyone know why they did? God how I wish ABC would have given more time to The City. Because if they had, I don't think Labine would have left GH when she did and would have been there with Wendy Riche until WR departed. We would be seeing a much different GH today.

Also, was it Guza who introduced Jason to the mob or was that under Labine?

I think they all do well except for GH, honestly. I believe Carolyn1980 (was it her?) touched on Soap Net's ratings before.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guess what? I thought that column was the worst piece of cr*p full of sh!t ever. Or let me re-phrase: it was hastily written, short, lame, predictable, full of silly little suggestions (hired a new writer then if it doesn't work, fire him or her... yeah... Dear Lord... :rolleyes: ), zero true insights but tons of fake ones, a totally disappointing hackjob. It was awful. And it'll probably have zero impact. Partly because she wasn't really invested in writing it, just thumped something out. It's a mish-mash of various most frequent fan opinions from all over the internet. Sara, Sara... What's going on?! :blink:

• Members

Moreso than Guza, I blame Steve Burton for what his character has become. Jason Morgan is exactly what Burton wanted to play. The wrong actors (as opposed to ones with actual good judgment) had too much power at GH to get what they wanted for their characters, and now this has been the result.

I have never been a Guza fan though. I never saw him as the savior that some did when he was gone on Sunset Beach and when other people were pleading for his return while I was pretty much enjoying the show before Richard C was fired. The only thing I liked from Guza was the exciting, angsty introduction of Nikolas in the addictive summer of 1996.

• Members

And there was a time in JFP's career when an actor did not abide by what she wanted, that actor would have been quickly recast. From my understanding, I don't think JFP is all that fond of Steve Burton. And with that, I know I said many times without Frons and Guza, Jill Farren Phelps along with a STRONG writing team could have done wonders at GH and the antics of the mob and actors with too much power would have all been shown the door. Frons and Guza allow SB to possess such power and control over his role.

• Members

:lol: Well I think its more than that as one of their fans I can only speak for myself and what others have expressed on our network. In five words Brian Frons, Bob Guza writing.

Personally, I hit the exit door regarding the treatment of Kent-Masters-King, Kiko Ellsworth (had a big fanbase that walked as well), and Minae's Kelly Lee, Koing of the Qs, the buffoonery of Luke, NLG"s Alexis no story, the LukenLaura trashing of history, Georgy, years of too much mob also other storylines that were dropped for some newbie du jour from some other show who was being treated with more respect and more airtime than the characters/actors hanging tough in the trenches ( eg Monica's alchoholism storyline given the bum's rush)...not much air for Matt w/his own storyline ...the Spinelli show... Det Cruz one minute he was there then he was gone.these are some of the myriad of reasons I've read.

The treatment of our ten year fanbase rooting for our two favs isn't worthy of tuning out

eventhough probably some did soley because of it, but a majority I've come across

was about the writing of the show and the treatment of vets/actors" I think the lack of Liason just pissed a lot of their fans off.

African Americans were / are loyal soap watchers and that audience is gone for the "most" part they should be included in these declining #s as well the writing is on the wall for the "most part on GH" African Americans will only be in supporting or recurring and will not get top tier A lead story under any umbrella.

• Members

Hmmm. She laid out an opinion (one that is widely shared), and a methodology for improvement.

Can you say, OBJECTIVELY, pointing to the writing specifically, what it is you find of "low quality"?

• Members

Obviously it isn't widely shared by many in here, as many disagree with it.

Leave to Guza run free when he's alread proven how damaging his storytelling is over the past 13 years or so? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, I can't, because as others have pointed out, many of her columns haven't been objective pieces.

As for her "low quality" columns, Sylph already did a wonderful job of summing it up.

• Members

She was talking about the whole ABC lineup. She's saying let Pratt and Guza and Carlivati run free FOR A LITTLE WHILE, and see what happens. That is truly good management.

And yes, she does hold the widely shared view that the writing is "amiss". Clearly, though, she believes the primary problem is corporate interference, so that better storytelling can prevail.

I'll look up what Sylph said. I saw no objective points of critique, in which he identified specific statements that she made that he found to be of low quality.

Archived