April 20-24, 2009

Toups

• Members

GH is just hollowed out. If that many fans would tune out because of a constipated cyborg and a smug, self-righteous ice princess, then there was obviously nothing left. I would like to see GH continue, and improve, but more than any other soap on the air now (I would even say ATWT, AMC, and GL), those who run it have taken away every part of what made GH special.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think people still care. People make posts rooting for soaps to get bad ratings, but lets ask all the Guiding Light peeps if they will miss their show. GH and all the shows below it are at around the same ratings as Passions was just two years ago, and we saw how that worked out for the Lopez-Fitzgerald and Crane clans.

• Members

Guza and Phelps are not gong any where. I expect them write GH into cancellation. It would be great if ABC exes hired Sri Rao or someone else to consult to help dig GH out of its hole.

For all the joy here at GH's ratings decline, if it doesn't rebound soon, all the ABC soaps will be off the air in a couple years.

• Members

Exactly. Nobody is forced to watch the show, but why wish cancellation on a show you don't even watch? I was not a watcher of GL by any means and I felt really sad it was canceled. Passions I watched and hated to see that canceled too. Canceled soaps are just no fun. :angry:

• Members

I'm sad about GH not because it's great, but because it's like they are trying to gradually fix things. But whoever said it's a shell of it's former self is right. Everything remotely entertaining like the Quartermaine family were gutted, the Cassadines are a shell of what they were, the Spencers with no Laura or Bobbie is almost a waste. But I wonder if these shows care as much about Neilson's as we think. It's an antiquated system and perhaps the ABC shows like Y&R and B&B have other revenue streams contributing to keeping them afloat

• Members

I watched GH for many years, but I have considered it unwatchable for some time now. If ABC ever decides to change the show completely, and I mean totally and completely, I might consider watching again. If GH goes off the air because of ex-viewers like me, oh well.

So CarlD2, instead of the constipated cyborg and the ice princess, it's now the constipated cyborg and the twice-convicted prostitute/con artist who would have sex with a dog? Yeah, like that's a huge improvement.

I refuse to watch a soap whose entire focus is criminals and their money-grubbing sluts.

• Members

Jason and Liz were the reason I tuned GH out, for the most part. I tuned ou. not because they were pulling them apart, but because they put them together in the first place... what utter garbage. Good girl Liz, mother of two helpless children, selling her dignity to be with a murderer. I thought it was such crap, but it was just one more signal the writers would never understand that for fans like me, that wasn't 'romance', it was a flippin' insult. Everything to do with Sonny and Jason annoys me these days.

I'm not even sure why they spent so much money rebuilding the hospital set when so much of the show is centered at Sonny's, or Jason's, or the docks (or so it feels for me).

I still tune in, but I don't watch every day. I don't have the stomach for it.

• Members

Personally with Sonny and Jason at least I know what I am getting and they make no bones about the fact that they are in the mob. They kill people and they know it.

What bothers me more are the other guys that daytime TV pushes off as HEROES these days who are murderers and fans don't seem to care. They constantly point fingers at Sonny and Jason and make excuses for the others.

Just look around soaps:

Tad is now a MURDERER!

Zach Slater - MURDERER!

Todd Manning - just look at the list of crimes that guy has done

EJ DiMera - rapist and the one that shot John but they forgot about it

and others.

I mean at least with Jason & Sonny they kill as part of their crime organization. Someone like Zach Slater supposedly kills out of love and it is built up as a romantic gesture.

AT least with Jason & Sonny there is no hypocrisy involved.

• Members

It is getting better. I'm amazed at the continuity, the return of characters to the people we know and remember, the focus on family and interpersonal drama rather than stringing plot-points together. Their dialogue is sharp and funny as hell (especially Sam asking Jason why Sonny can't keep it in his pants and how he impregnates anyone who comes in close contact). The changes fans have been demanding are happening, so now we just have to get that message out. It's easier to go down then up, but I think if those of us who see the improvements start talking more then the rest who dismiss summarily won't be the only voice heard. :)

• Members

There is hypocrisy in that Sonny and Jason are the bestest good guys and heroes on GH. They are the symptom of GH's main problem which is the twisted morality that is pervasive on the show today. I accept that the mob and their crew are major part of GH, but they should not be the good guys and certainly not 80% of the show. Guza's obsession with mob violence, Sonny, Jason, Carly, Spinelli and now Claudia has thrown GH out of balance. It is made worse that he has run out of ideas for his favorite characters so now he repeats these stories with their predictable endings. The damage that these stories with their lack of morality have inflicted on GH for years is incalculable. Reducing the mob, re-establishing the hospital, finding romance (I don't mean silly Liz/Jason or Spinelli/Maxie), and telling more coherent stories would do GH a world of good.

Archived