Y&R: Week of April 20, 2009

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope. The bloody face is going to be all up in your grill when you watch it!

When Heather called the Newman Ranch a "mausoleum," I was like WTF? Adam is not being held prisoner in the Chancellor Estate! That word belongs to Jill Foster Abbott, Brenda Dickson style!

• Members

The writers don't know what to do with half of their cast. When an opportunity arises, they thrown in someone and the rest of the time they just wait for some storyline to come into their heads.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Members

:lol: Itds quite amusing to see these younger, weak characters (Heather and Colleen) go up against the Great Victor Newman. Its quite hilarious. Heather keeps coming back for more too, she won't back down. Gotta give her credit for that, I guess....

• Members

The sad thing is that we'll get rid of the chipmunk eventually but that moron Cane will probably be here for years to come. That is one LML creation that will always be there to ruin every single episode he is in, at least in some way.

• Members

There must be some point to this BLOODY chipmunk. Maybe Tom killed one, gruesomely and screamingly, in front of Kevin as a boy? And threatened to do the same to him?

This very juvenile horror object makes me think that the point is that we're going to rediscover some PIVOTAL childhood trauma, involving a chipmunk (good god, I can't believe I typed that) that explains all this.

(There is a very, very dark part of me that now wonders if Tom shoved that chipmunk somewhere, and that eventually this will ... well, I have a whole twisted storyline in my head about where Kevin could go after the chipmunk-shoving trauma is revealed....)

I wonder, too, if once the evil chipmunk stops scaring Kevin's psyche (good god, I can't believe I typed that), it might trigger Kevin's memory that he needs to open Tom's safe deposit box.

• Members

I don't want to jump aboard the OMG Y&R SUX bandwagon (did I miss the memo about it being Throw Rotten Tomatoes at Y&R week on SON?). However, I think you are right. There are a number of SLs on Y&R where it is clear the writers had no CLUE where to go.

Adam in jail was saved at the last minute by his going blind. But no way was that "planned months in advance." As evidenced by the holding pattern they have him in now.

Kevin being Chipmunked. It was a cool twist to have the Kay/Clint SL transition into bringing out Kevin's little, furry demons, but the HWs were so busy clapping themselves on the back for it that they forget to continue writing.

The Winters Adopt-a-Drama. You can thank Nia Peeples for working the crap out of that non-story.

Colleen on the Newman Board. Well, they had to show Mr. Alleged Sony Benefactor that they were gainfully employing his girl part-time! They have no clue what to do with her, though. Although somebody got inspired and decided to throw JT into the mix. Lucky save!

Jana's headaches. What the [!@#$%^&*] are they going to do with her?

Daniel & Amber. Ditto.

Snoretoria. Ditto.

Ashley's haunted pregnancy. Thank GOD a pregnancy last nine months! I don't think TPTB even know whether to keep Ash's baby or not.

Noah & Eden. Blah blah Teenage Soulmates blah blah Romeo & Juliet as our parents try to keep us apart! Blah blah Cherry-popping blah blah Let's borrow a couple of scripts from the Teen Mac & Billy era, why don't we?

Honestly, I think MAB relies heavily on Y&R's "slow-burn" template in order to throw a couple of SLs in the air, write the ones that she really digs and keep the others in a holding pattern until the time-pressure kicks in and she gets inspired to pen something ahead of a deadline. ALSO, Y&R needs to thank its Breakdown Writers. Big-time. They are giving a lot of extra oomph and direction to the SLs we are seeing.

• Members

Yes, Cat, I definitely agree. Even though I enjoy every minute, I constantly feel as if they don't know exactly what to do next. When they find a huge storyline, they push it on-screen so much that all others are overshadowed. Then they find another big storyline and push it while others are left back. They just don't know what to do.

The most common thing that happens is that a storyline falls into their lap... for example, the entire Kevin Stockholm stuff was created is because they connected it to Katherine and thought it would be nice to revisit. Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened.

They had the Newmans on-screen all last year, and now that they found gold in Miller/Hendrickson, they're pushing the Abbott stuff in front of the Newmans. Meanwhile, the Winters, the Williams and the Carltons are stuck in the background, sometimes just coming out to play a role that a dayplayer usually plays.

Archived