Y&R: Week of April 20, 2009

• Members

Nia Peeples final scenes showed what an asset she could have been to the show.She was a 'good' character who could be strong/vulnerable-she came across as very real.she managed to rise above the muddled character writing.

So what's next for the Winters?Where's the interest with Neil and Tyra coming together?Maybe Gil will be brought into play again?

I'm already over the mournful Billy/Mac lokks.It's supposed to be 6 years later.I would prefer to see them move back to this slowly.Billy has plenty on his plate trying to deal with Chloe and fatherhood.

Since both Billy and Mac are new to the roles,we need to see this new pairing connecting,rather than just play on the fact that they were once involved.

With Kevin currently incarcerated and Sharon, Amber and Phyllis guilty of criminal activity,that means in the past few months we've seen Lowell,Victor,Adam,Gloria and Katherine behind bars.This says something about the stories the show is telling.

Can we move away from criminal activities as the basis of plots?

The backburnering of Nikki,Paul,JT,Victoria,Heather,Colleen and the Winters is not good storytelling.All of these characters could have been more involved in the story.

Can we have a mention of how Casey is doing?

I am not buying the Katherine/Jill story-the insta hate from Jill is too much.

The upcoming weddings have me worried.The show is still operating from the notion that everyone has to be married off.That notion has lead to characters like Ashley and Jack being married 5/6 times.

It is harder to write for happily married couples.They either go backburner or are separating less than a year later over some issuethat pales against what they went through to get married in the first place.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hated the show today from the background electronic 80's piano music (the worse aspect of all), to the pacing ,to the dialogue I did not care what happened in any capacity in this episode. I also think this Kevin storyline is stupid I no longer care what any of it means

• Members

i wasn't too impressed with today's show. It's the first time in a long time i was disappointed. Kevin going bonkers is getting REALLY old. There's something so cruel yet unbelievable how Kevin only wants Amber now. I guess it makes plausible sense with his whole brainwashed thing, but there's no ring of truth to it. Seeing Jana suffer like this isn't fun and I really think EO is on her way out, which would be a shame. LML's remaining loose threads do include Jana and her pithily explained history.

And my God, do i hate Devon. The most preachy, judgemental character on soaps.

• Members

I didn't think today was that bad. The kevin stuff IS getting old, though. Believe it or not, I didn't notice the electric piano music, and I'm shocked... cause I usually notice things like that. I think some of this might be just a let down from yesterday being so stellar. And some people thought the montage at the end of yesterday's show was too cheesy, but I LIKED IT. I would have used the old, original instrumental version of Bless The Beasts amd the children the show used in the 70's, instead of having "You know who" sing it... but it could have been worse. BTW, the original instrumental version that was used in the movie AND used on Y&R is in this clip, starting at 3:00, just a little memory refresher.

• Members

This song gets to me every time. I just love it. Love it.

My favorite version:

See 3:15 in this clip

Oh God, I loved Chuckie. I wish Snapper could have told him that he was his father. I wonder if this nephew of Jill's will someday appear in Genoa City--along with Snapper's daughter Jennifer (and any other kids we don't know about?).

Sally Roland (Chuckie's mother) was on the very first episode of Y&R (talking about having sex with Snapper, who was pining for Chris Brooks). So it was kind of nice to see her come full circle in this little arc.

For all those in the anti-Bell thread who say Bill Bell didn't know how to tell a story...yeah, right. (Watch those credits at the end--writing/production/acting. What a roster!)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

Yeah. This one was weaker. They even had A-players on, like Morrow and Stafford and Case and Bregman and Leblanc...but it was a weaker show. I'd be fine with this being another "adaggio"...softer...pause...but the episode just seemed stalled.

Monday's show was so strong (shockingly, given that it had some of the show's weakest characters front and center) that I think most anything would have paled by contrast.

• Members

Even I'll chime in to say the chipmunk is....odd. Not even "funny", just odd.

It would make sense if somehow it is revealed that Terrible Tom molested Kevin with a chipmunk or something...ANYTHING to make that a relevant psychotic object.

But for now, it it just ... odd. And the problem is, it takes me ought of what could otherwise be engaging (i.e., "what are the corridors of the catatonic mind like?").

Archived