GL and ATWT being discussed for LIFETIME?

• Members

Soaps are expensive but they have an almost guaranteed (albeit it minor) audience of at least a million or more viewers daily. Five days a week. For a cable network, that's prime opportunity. It may not be super feasible, but if someone (P&G) is willing to foot half the bill, why wouldn't a cable network take the gamble?

I don't know why everyone's so dismissive of it because, *gasp* it's never happened before. Times are changing. In the end, yeah, it may not work, but why not try?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

soaps jumping networks has happened, and failed. over many decades. a good chunk do not follow, and not enough pick up on it to make up for the lost.

look what happened to passions, and didnt it have higher ratings than GL has had? speaking of passions, it also couldnt find a audiance on scifi. and another world and other soaps didnt even do well on soapnet.

i guess it all depend on how much P&G requires to show the show. but honestly, any move is sure to come with MASSIVE cuts. Are you GL fans willing to deal with the cuts? In a year are you ATWT fans wiling to deal with it and still watch the show?

• Members

yea, pretty much a good read and nothing more.

I find it funny that it seems the "save GL" sites I have read seem to base their info off of things on DC at times, and then DC bases their "buzz" off what they read on boards. Vicious cycle...

• Members

GL is picking up new fans because of the Otalia story and returning old fans because of Phillip's coming back, and is an alive, growing show. It would be a *great* idea for Lifetime to pick it up! I'm thinking primetime weekly serial would make the most sense though, not 5-days a week.

Just two years ago, GL was in the pack with the rest of the soaps. It is not a show that has been consistently at the bottom of the ratings for years and just limped along like CBS would have us believe to justify their cancellation. As Brian Cahill said, "there's life in the old girl yet!"

Absolutely I am prepared to accept changes to the format and the cast. This is going to be a renewal, a rebirth, of GL, an adaptation to a new media age -- not a weak continuation and sputtering out. I envision something along the lines of GH:Night Shift, except with a longer season and with stars from the main GL rather than loads of other characters since this wouldn't be a spinoff.

Yes, indeed, soaps have "switched networks" before, but not in this modern media age when daytime is basically on its last legs and the future for soaps is primetime or cable or the Internet. The closest analogy to what is happening now is switching in the 1950s from radio to TV, not the switching broadcast TV networks of a near-the-end "Search for Tomorrow" in the 1980s.

Non-soap TV shows have successfully moved from broadcast to cable. For example, Sliders.

And comparing this to Passions going to DirectTV? Passions on DirectTV and GL on Lifetime, there is no comparison. Nobody had ever even heard of DirectTV's special channel and nobody can watch it. Everybody's heard of Lifetime. Also Passions did not have the longtime brand recognition and historic reach of Guiding Light, which has touched generations, nor did it have the backing of Procter and Gamble. And no, Passions's overall ratings when it was cancelled on NBC were not higher than GL's are now. (Nonetheless, Passions still deserves credit for helping to blaze the trail that others can build on.)

• Members

lolol

:D

_________

I would love it if GL ends up on Lifetime and I can see it on there. They cannot air it during daytime hours though. 4PM or later will be good. I was thinking 6PM or 7PM. I don't want any repeats though. That will just make the original airing loose more viewers. Fans will feel like they can watch it whenever they wants to.

If I was in charge of that show, I would fire the actors who plays Daisy, Ashlee, Marina, Mallet, and a few others. I might recast Rafe and I might even cut the show to a half hour soap. Don't get me started on the writers. I would bring in some fresh young actors like Lindsay Hartley to lead the younger crowd. Zimmer better take a decent pay cut too. I have a great imaginations. lolol

As for DC, I view them as reliable. They been right about many things before.

• Members

Aren't you the same person that swore up and down that Otalia was NEVER going to happen? That you KNEW it was all just playing with people and would never, ever be more than what it was?

Seems like you are about to be proven wrong...you might be about Lifetime as well.

• Members

Can comeone provide a link to a NEWS site reporting this as NEWS?

Not DC that links to nowhere that picked it up from a message board - prob this message board.

I swear... i could say I am buying out a network, changing the name to Jacks Awesome TV Network and say i already have the rights to GL & ATWT and people would cling onto it.

There is nothing wrong with wanthing it to find a home, rooting for it, believing, thats all fien and dandy and more power to you. However dont be blind. And im still awaiting people to own up to the fact that they would watch GL with yet another slashed budget. And if you think the people they are going to cut are the annoying teen, think again. I bet all of them added up do not add up to half the salery of Grant. Maybe all together they are equal to Robert Newman or Crystal Chappell. They sure as hell dont add up to Zimmer.

IF the show gets picked up and they need to cut costs - say goodbye to half of Otalia and Reva and Philip. Will you watch that?

There is just so much more to it than a simple network swap, and people who want this dont seem to realize that.

Thing is, people tuned out when GL trimemd the cast and switched to a new production model to save the budget to stay on the air. So what makes anyone think they will tune in when it happens again? And its not a 50/50 chance, its more like a 99.9/.1 chance.

Things they report as NEWS are usually correct.

Things they claim as gossip & rumors? almost never happen.

Archived