Van Hansis acting is so bad!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I don't disagree. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved the idea of Luke Snyder being gay - and those first few anxiety-ridden, tense Kevin/Holden weeks were really, really strong. But it fell apart for me VERY quickly, when Lily (who is involved in HOTEL MANAGEMENT and TELEVISION) got all wigged out, and then there was Damian (Really? Because jetsetting around the Mediterranean, you never crossed paths with any gay guys, Damian?) And honestly, the "straight camp" was so afterschool special-ish. I'd buy it if Damian was ultra-conservative-religious. But he's not. So... no. It didn't work. You can't just shoe-horn Damian Grimaldi into the Midwestern Homophobic Ignorant Father role. It doesn't work.

And then it just got worse and worse. By the time the kissing ban hit, I just hoped they'd write them both off the show altogether. I'd rather not be represented at all, then represented as THAT.

Just my opinion.

• Members

Honestly, I've been thinking that since Day 1. I usually don't subscribe to 'top/bottom' roles with gay relationships (having been in quite a few myself) but the two of them would never be together in real life. Just my opinion :P

GH: Night Shift got it right with cutesy Kyle and manly Eric.

• Members

Yeah, ITA. They never would work in real life and I think that is another problem here.

Like I said above, I kinda compare Luke to Justin from QAF. There are some similarities, but do you think Justin would be with someone like Noah? F'uck NO! Noah is like a Mikey. And what's important to note here is that QAF was very realistic to an extent. They should take a page out of their bible.

• Members

Ah, SON.

Much as I love you...

Look, Luke could be played by CHARITY RAHMER, and I'd still love him and this story. Yes, I'm focusing on what it represents, not on the merits of the story or the acting in its own right.

But now we have Otalia...by all accounts a much better telling of a GLBT story. There has been a kiss. NONE OF THE NONSENSE AND DRECK of what Rev. Wildmon and his crew did to Nuke.

I have to believe, at some level, Bianca-Lena-Maggie-Reese and Nuke got us here.

For that reason, Hansis could emote like Brenda Dickson, and I'd still love him, Luke and ATWT. 'Cause there is a larger purpose.

Moreover, there have been moments of genuine beauty in this story. Not many, but when they happened, they took my breath away.

And finally, before we all castigate Hansis, I wonder how he'd do in this role on a better soap? Even GL? Context matters....

• Members

The thing is, QAF, even WITHOUT the graphic sex, was a story that took place in the 21st century.

The Nuke story, I swear, takes place in 1992.

And yes, I understand I live in a metropolitan city, and there are other parts of the country that think differently. But the difference is only a few years... not SEVENTEEN YEARS. How many times now have Nuke discovered prejudice? Really? Because last time I looked out the Lakeview suite windows, Oakdale reminded me of New York City. And you can't tell me Nuke is getting beaten down by the Evil Straights as often as they are in a city with a skyline like that.

• Members

And the thing is, Mark? You're right. They will go down in the history books. And they probably should. WHatever I (or you or Ruckston or ClassicSoapFan or Sylph or anybody else) thinks of it personally is irrelevant. They moved daytime in the right direction, made it less taboo. And for that alone, we will all remember the name "Nuke" in thirty years.

It just pisses me off to no end that it happened with such piss-poor storytelling and acting.

• Members

But that could shake up some drama, you know? Have Noah get pissed at Luke and go out in Chicago, end up in Lakeview and bang! He's on Halstead!!! Steps into Hydrate, steps into Circuit, boom, he meets some guys who can cause some drama between Luke and Noah's relationship. A gay triangle, or quadrangle. Wouldn't that be a first on a soap or did AMC do that with Bianca?

Archived