A&E Intervention Woman--old AMC and Doctors actress?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her name, at least as an actress, is Carla Dragoni...look her up on IMDB, she perfectly fits Sylvia's career description. As well, I totally remember Sylvia playing a character called Betsy who got left at the alter on AMC which, not so surprisingly, Ms Carla Dragoni played!

The Sylvia episode is my FAVORITE episode of Intervention, that woman really lived life like a soap opera. As well, she's recovered really beautifully. She was on an Intervention reunion hosted by Christopher Lawford and was so healthy.

• Members

Betsy Kinnecott. When I started watching AMC years ago people used to tell me about how awful the Kinnecott family was and they were the worst family in the history of the show (I guess they won't say that now :lol: ) There was the nurse Jeff Martin married, who was killed in a burglary, I think. Then there was a male Kinnecot, wasn't there?

• Members

Yeah, Betsy was Mary Kennicott's (played most famously by Susan Blanchard-Frank) wayward sister. She was friends with the late nurse Sybil Thorne, and had an affair with a very unhappily married Wally McFadden (Pat Skelton at the time, I think). That being said, I think Betsy takes the fall for ruining the Kennicott family. Man was she a boring character, but she sure got her air time.

Dan Kennicott was super cool, loved him with Brooke. Very easy on the eyes too. A stupid write off. Greta Lind as Katie Kennicott had potential. It just wasn't ever really explored. I liked her relationship with Ruth. I know Mary Fickett was already working a lot less by this time at her own request, so maybe that could have hindered where she could have gone storyline wise. She, Charlie (Van Eman) Joey and Emily Anne were all causalities in one foul swoop.

• Members

I knew I recognized the face but I didn't place her as being Carla Dragoni.

I hated Dragoni as MJ. She was totally miscast, but I loved her as Betsy. I loved the Kennicott family except for Katie - never got to know her well enough. What Betsy suffered from most was that she was written to be too much like Mary. They were almost the same character. Mary got her happy ending where Betsy didn't. They both fell for men that were tied to other women on the show. Jeff to Erica at the time and Wally to Devon. In the end Mary got Jeff but Wally went back to Devon.

Dan was the most interesting of the Kennicotts. He was very good with Brooke. I always hoped they would bring him back some day.

• Members

Thank you for the names. I think I was basing my opinion of Dan on most of them on what I'd heard, since I've never seen any of those episodes. There was also an anecdote from Julia Barr in the AMC 25th anniversary book where the actor who played Dan put on puppet makeup backstage because he hated his character and hated playing him, and she was very annoyed by his display. That was either him or Wally.

• Members

Eric, on your recommendation I was watching the clip of "Sylvia" between my classes today and I couldn't place her face from soaps. I am usually FANTASTIC on recognizing soap faces decades later.

But when I read here it was Carla Dragoni I was really shocked. I remember her MJ from the Doctors and her role on AMC. She always played a good, down to earth girl. Someone you can relate to, not like all the perfect-featured actresses on today's soaps. Someone with good sense.

So here's my question: why would anyone want to go on a show like Intervention? To be pictured falling all over one's self, dead drunk? It seems pitiful and exhibitionistic at the same time to want to "star" in an episode of a show like this. My questions are not only why would someone do this, but would a actress who had some kind of sick need for the spotlight again really stoop to this? Even if she needed rehabilitation, it's so.....desperate and embarassing!

I interviewed Christopher Lawford when he was on AMC. He wouldn't answer questions about his days as a heroin addict. And here he is appearing on a show like "Intervention" Ssshhh!

Connie P. a.k.a. Marlena De Lacroix

• Members

I'm not sure if the Intervention is Carla Dragoni.

There is a review of a Penn State University play, A Thousand Clowns, that Carla was in in 1987 with her husband, actor Christopher Loomis. The time line is confusing because the Intervention show said Sylvia had moved to North Carolina when she was 28. Carla would have to have been at least in her early 30's when she did the play.

August 26, 1987

If the link doesn't work, try the Google news search of Carla Dragoni's name and place 1987 as one of the search dates under “other dates” (I put in 1987-1988) .

http://digitalnewspapers.libraries.psu.edu...ntityId=Ar02902

• Members

Wow that link sure casts doubt on what I'd researched...that picture doesn't look like Sylvia *at all*...

The reason that Carla Dragoni seemed like the perfect match is from her IMDB profile...I wonder if perhaps there aren't two actresses with the same stage name?

• Members

When I read this thread this morning, I clicked through Sylvias over at ibdb and only two fit the timeline, then clumsy me x'd my boxes and lost them. But as I clicked I thought how non-showbiz people can be fast and loose with the term "Broadway" when they simply mean NY theatre, which is exactly what people at broadwayworld.com were saying re: Sylvia in an old thread I just found over there. BUT, a guy there also i.d.'d her as Dragoni. Slezak auditioned for Mary K. right?

Sylvia does look very familiar, and I couldn't help but wonder if Chuck Knipp got inspiration for his Betty Butterfield character from ol' Syl. Some of her dramatico moments were very Betty.

Archived