GL: March Discussion

Guest dc cubs

I really liked the Phillip and Reva scenes today. Reva was all nice and chummy with Phillip until he asked about Sarah. Then Reva lost it and started yelling at him about the Hatfields and the McCoys. I think she did realize that Phillip is not going to look for Sarah and he just wanted some info about her. Nice job by both GA and KZ in those scenes.

I'm pretty sure Otalia is the endgame because how uncomfortable does Nat look with Frank right now. This does not look like a woman who wants to marry Frank. I feel bad for Frank because he comes off looking like a clueless idiot. I do realize that Nat is leading him on and that isn't right either. If she doesn't love Frank she should not marry him.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe how little we've seen Edmund and Olivia interact. The little drunken party thing was cute but I really wanted to see scenes with some meat to them. Like connecting over the fact that Edmund discovered he had an adult child he never knew about and that Olivia now has a relationship with the girl she gave up for adoption as a teenager and is now an adult. Edmund & Olivia's relationship isn't simple, they neither hate nor like each other but they do understand each other in a way no one else does and they have no problem teaming up for a common purpose. I would've preferred seeing them interact over the "I must protect Shayne from you, BigBadEdmund" scenes he was stuck in with Dinah. I love Dinah but her relationship with Edmund ended on such a bitter note that they really couldn't have the kind of revealing interactions with him that Olivia could.

Definitely. The attempt by the writers to make us believe that the Coopers are the bestest thing since soft-serve is not ironic or an inside joke or anything like that. It is played straight and literally by everyone involved and that's what kills it. If there was a sense of irony or social satire to it, I could buy it, but there isn't.

She was actually boning her niece's fiance just weeks before their wedding was supposed to take place but yeah, we were supposed to see her as the victim of the BigBadMeanieSpauldings, as always, and thus had no control over her abhorent behavior.

I hope that the attitude Marina had with Phillip is gonna stick. The rest of the family was hostile, judgmental, and refused to even consider taking Company back from him. Harley even felt the need to perjure herself by whining to the judge in a letter that she won't return to Springfield because she's afraid of EvilPhillip when the truth is that she decided to never come home several months ago, long before Phillip returned, when she found herself a new guy to screw in Greece. It had nothing to do with Phillip. Marina decided to make some good of the situation rather than stew in anger. I hope that continues.

Between the writing and Bogue's wooden, static delivery Mallet is just pointless. He worked okay as a straight man to Dinah's nuttiness but otherwise, he's almost unbearable.

Precisely. M&M could've worked as an exploration of them pursuing this relationship in order for Mallet to redeem or forget his history and past life and Marina to feel safe in a picture-perfect marriage with the closest thing to her daddy she could possibly find. Portraying them as cutsie-cute newlyweds, with zero subtext, satire, or psychological drama, it's a disaster.

You'd think that Dicopulous would at least remember playing those scenes way back when and say "Hey guys, The Coopers weren't all that great back then. They were a freaking mess forever."

Lizzie leaning on Alan I almost understand. She feels he's the only man in the world she can count on to protect, even though he's insane, evil, and goes too far, he's there for her when the worst happens. She doesn't trust anyone else, not even her mother. Alex's devotion to Alan makes less sense. She, presumably, knows what everyone else knows about what's been going on. The Alex I remember would never sit around and allow Alan to send Phillip to prison. NEVER.

Agreed. It's improved but it still has a lot more to work on. I hope it gets the chance.

• Members

I was thinking this very thing today watching the show. MB and RB in particular (as you pointed out) are the biggest violators in this regard. Mallet would be much more compelling if the writers and RB would give him a little more angst or regret for his past. This should be his throughline, but unfortunately, most of the characters throughlines on this show are either undefined or ignored.

However, (everyone sit down)....I liked the show today! Branson is a find as Shayne. He's perfectly cast and I would argue the best older Shayne out of the actors that have had this role since the character was a teen. And he has chemistry with GT and I find myself liking them together. But like others have mentioned - I have to suspend disbelief a little as the characters SHOULD be farther apart in age. Their scenes today - besides that fucked up music - were really good. And it was good to see that the writers thought of explaining how Josh and Shayne just "happened upon" them at the gazebo. That's a definite improvement over past random run-ins in the middle of nowhere where no explanation was given!

The Reva/Josh scenes were wonderful. Again, Reva's throughline is that SHE LOVES JOSH. It's been her story for 20+ years and IMO, the show today still proves it. KZ and RN played this perfectly. Although I know this has been/is being discussed in another thread

. And ICAM with KZ in her interview when she talked about this pregnancy story. The writers blew it on this one because it could have been very compelling to see Reva pregnant with Jeffrey's child, all the while yearning to be reunited with Josh. The triangle with Jeffrey/Reva/Josh would have been great to see and with Reva's cancer, made it all the more good soap. Why they would drop this story to the backburner I have no idea.

The only beef I have with Josh/Reva scenes today was (again) the fucked up music. It would have been much more compelling had Reva been sitting on the couch after Josh left with something more traditional.

I think that they should develop Daisy into a teeny redneck like her grandma Reva. Granted, her scenes were few today (thumbs up) but the hung over was pretty funny. She could be a much more interesting character if they had her take on more of the Reva side of her personality and recast.

Last thing I'll say is that even Remy is more watchable that Mallet/Marina/Stolen Baby. Whomever directed the episode today didn't do the camera shots any favors. I'm glad that "shaky cam" seems to be gone, but they need to block out the scenes alot better than they did today - especially in Company.

But hey - it's been awhile since my post had anything good in it about GL. So that's saying something....

• Members

I finally got a chance to watch yesterday's show. The scenes between Phillip and Reva were great. I know they were friends in the 80s, but didn't they drift apart afterwards? Did they interact again in more than a few scenes? I felt like in the past the show didn't bother to have them interact in major story because they were both such big characters.

• Members

They did interact a little when he was married to Harley and she and Cassie were BFF's. Mostly during the Nursery Rhyme Stalker when Holly had Shayne and Lizzie, when Edmund was married to Beth and holding Cassie hostage and Phillip and Reva's boyfriend hired an army to rescue Cassie and his children, and when Richard died and Rick got his heart but none of their interactions were extensive.

Those scenes between them were wonderful. Somebody actually took the time to go find RealReva for her scene with Phillip today! That was nice! I've missed her. The tone was perfect and I loved how long those scenes were, it really let GA and KZ set the pace of the scene as actors. For a while now soap storytelling has suffered from Short-Scene-Syndrome. I guess they think viewers have no attention span but I love longer scenes like this where a really good vibe is developed. I want to see Phillip get Sarah back and bring her home to her mother and away from The Psycho.

• Members

Thanks, RVD.

I don't like Marina, but I like her more bossing Daisy around and running everywhere than as Mallet's wife. Drunk and hung over Daisy is also more entertaining than Grady/Rafe Daisy.

I've enjoyed the past few episodes. Remy and Christina are surprisingly watchable, along with Shayne and Dinah, and the scenes with Reva and Phillip, and Daisy, and Josh have all been excellent.

• Members

I have not been able to watch GL all week and am only now catching up ... Halfway through Monday's episode right now and I'm loving it!

Phillip and Reva, Phillip and Olivia (which also explained how Beth got Emma a car to go to the trial), and Rafe! I had been mising Rafe and I was overjoyed to see EJ Bonilla (who I like a lot, unlike other posters) still in the role instead of the rumored recast. I loved the joke about how he is a convicted felon so Frank better take care of his mom or he will hunt Frank down, hahaha. It is also good to see that Rafe is doing well and could be released soon.

I strongly disagree with the posters who think the show is saying Coopers = good, Spauldings = evil. Lillian has broken up with Buzz because he pushed her. Phillip was shown doing the right thing returning Company. The main youth couple of the show is Bill/Lizzie, and Lizzie is the youth heroine of the show. Daisy's Spaulding hatred is because of her own insecurity right now about having hooked up with slimeball Grady -- and is likely to change soon.

GL writes three-dimenisonal characters -- neither all-good nor all-bad.

Archived