The Suds Report: January 2, 2009

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In practically every interview she did regarding Passions Lisa de Cazotte reiterated that it was not her job to question her headwriter's stories, and that she would never say "no" to James E. Reilly. Does that sound like someone who would keep Pratt in check?

I'm not that surprised about Ambyr Childers. It just goes to show though that sometimes there are legitimate reasons for an unpopular firing that we are just not aware of because TPTB cannot come out and say it. Surely they could have found someone better than Brianne though.

• Members

So how does that make them visionary? The HW comes and says I want to write this story and they rubber stamp it or not. Conversely, Frons mandates this character be front and center or that pairing and then they filter it down to the HW and make sure it happens. How is that visionary?

• Members

I've only been reading this guy's Suds Reports for a few weeks, but I already hate them. His intervews are usually (but not always) less aggravating.

He admits this week he isn't even watching GL. So how is he qualified to criticize/bash it? How could he have missed Bill and Lizzie's love story the past few weeks -- they have obviously been together? No matter how bad a show gets (and GL isn't bad), you can't be writing about all the soaps as a professional critic when you don't watch them all.

• Members

What I am saying is that the EP's on the ABC soaps do have the power that everyone says they do not have. The Ep's are making decisions, like the Head Writers, and yes Frons pokes his head in and intercedes every now and then when he thinks a certain character could produce. He's not at the offices every day, or calling every day demanding this or that be written. It doesnt work like that. Anyone who thinks that doesnt understand the business. EP's technically should be handling casting, contracts and budgets and such, and writers determine story. I dont recall saying they are visionary, but if I did, my bad. There is really no room for an Executive Producer to be visionary. That is up to the writing team.

• Members

Well at Passions it was more JER because it was "his" show. JHC sucks. She let some of our favorites go (Cady McClain, Juilia Barr, ect...). When JHC and B&E were there together at AMC.....IT WAS HORRIBLE. Annie/Aidan/Greenlee/Ryan/Kendall/Zach were on every freakin minute! :angry: She has no backbone and seriuosly no vision.

Many people say the EP does not have alot of power but they handle the budget, production type, and keep the show it check. The Production is HORRIBLE, she cannot handle the budget, and AMC under her as EP is not the same. Even JDB was much better then JHC.

• Members

Regarding the EP, it really makes no difference who it is. It's just a title and the person probably have very little say-so storywise, especially now that Pratt has a producing credit. Frons and Pratt are clearly steering the ship in terms of story. It'll still be Zack, Kendall, Ryan, Annie, Aiden front and center blah blah blah. Burke could still be EP, and there would probably be little noticeable difference in what we're seeing played out on screen. Gone are the days when strong EPs like Behr actually had some influence.

About the BI that might be Childers, the inference is that she quit because she didn't want to work with her black and/or gay co-stars. Being a newbie, can she simply just quit? Doesn't ABC lock their young up-anc-coming stars into iron-clad 4-year contracts that only the network can break? Can a budding actress just up and leave because she doesn't like her storyline? That all sounds kind of fishy.

• Members

Since when should an EP have any say in story anyway? Nothing about "Executive Producer" screams anything about having any say in story. They never have and never will. If an EP of old was strong, it is because production was great, and the cast was cool and happy, not because said EP was such a visionary and had great input in story.

• Members

they can ask to be let out of the contract. and if there was an issue where she did want to work with her black and gay co-stars and there was tension on the set because of it its a very real possibility the network would ok it.

and it wasnt like she was some hit with the audiance. most ppl online didnt even like her til something worse came along.

Archived