The Suds Report: January 2, 2009

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just for the record, the Asa issue went above Ron Carlivati. During the last months of Dena Higley, Phil Carey walked from OLTL earlier in the year after ABC tried to lowball him again and he refused. RC, the incoming HW several months later, was left holding the bag. I don't blame him for feeling the only reason Asa would really leave his family was death. And I think they got a great story out of it.

• Members

Right, and it wasnt Dena Higley who wasn't willing to pay up, it was Valentini and Frons. Valentini, the EP, not Valentini the only in name guy who sits behind a desk twirling a pencil. He makes decisions in his field. Casting. You proved my point. Frank then gave Ron the ok to kill Asa. There are jobs an EP does and jobs a writer does. Just because an EP has no say in writing and story, doesnt mean they are in name only, its rightfully so. They are EP's not Executive Writers. ;)

• Members

Ari and Kyle got back together?

Vanessa and Bob Guza needs to decide what they're doing once and for all. Either bring her back longterm or leave her in Europe. These little returns, throws everyone's life in drama and then departs stunts is old. If Bob knows she's coming back soon it makes the removal of Liz and Jake from Jason's life make more sense. Brenda, Jason and Spinelli living in the PH here we come!

• Members

Totally agree. Also, a New York-based soap actress has to know that there's a fair chance that an actor playing her on-screen boyfriend could be gay, not to mention the fact that there are probably a lot of gay people working behind the scenes of these shows. No one is that naive. The BI is just tough to believe.

• Members

I swear to god Susan Lucci has had no choice but to have so much cosmetic surgery due to AMC's fug ass lighting.

BRIGHTER! WHITER BRIGHTER! WHITER!!

Sadly, this Lisa Hesser (I am SICK of her long last name- maybe I'll call her LiZotte) is from cheap ass sitcom looking Passions and Paul Rauch's uber bright OLTL.

So the show will still look like a high school play.

I am sorry, you probably can tell from my posts that I am sick to death of ABC's cheap looks and bargain basement production values.

Go to Youtube, you have shows from the early 80's like Capitol and Texas which looked more expensive than AMC and GH these days.

Wasn't Night Shift excellent because of a talented writer and a talented bunch of EXPERIENCED and BELOVED actors? LisZotte just got lucky.

What do you think this Lisa chick will do? She will probably handle the money side of things and hopefully help AMC make more money. Those "this close to cancelled" rumors are pretty damn scary.

• Members

But Marceline, why would any producer put out an ugly product? Its inexcusable!

I watch those commercials for GL and I want to CRY!

People say, "I watch for the stories, not for the sets."

And I say: "I don't. This is fantasy. I require pretty."

I need to go into production design or something.

• Members

Directing and editing are also big things for me, outside of decent production values. I think the camera work and editing on AMC are a mess. OLTL isn't that good in regards to that either.

I will give GH credit, the directing, editing, and overall camera work on that show is better than the other ABC soaps by far.

• Members

Well I found OLTL's episode on Friday very, very, very clumsy. I thought the whole show seemed off productionwise. Scriptwise and Camera wise- check out the Blair/John scenes. Maybe the Cameraman was drinking.

I know these shows produce a show a day, sometimes two.

But Y&R is the gold standard regarding how a soap should look. Linda Gottlieb understood this. John Conboy understands this. JFP used to understand this. And every show should have its own visual "look"- every show should not look the same. Shaky cameras and tackiness is bull. I know the economy is a mess but these shows still bring in tons of money and viewers deserve a quality product.

Way off topic, but back to Lizotte- AMC is going to swim or sink based on the writing and the stories. Same for GH and OLTL.

I honestly feel that viewers of AMC will not see anything change with this producer. Its Pratt's and Fron's show.

Archived