Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Exactly. That's how I seen things tonight. HRC did enough to ensure him to think he has a chance when he really doesn't. Come time for debate #3 and voting, she needs to knock is ass out officially with some salacious dirt, which I know she possesses. We don't need him dropping out. Drag his ass to the finish line and finish him off.  

• Members

I went to Chris Cilizza's review and he spun what I imagine is going elsewhere too - that Trump did so much better (he seemed enthralled with the "late great Lincoln" line) and Hillary struggled, but it didn't matter because Trump ruined it with his ugly little show with Juanita and friends. If that is a spin elsewhere it probably does help even them out somewhat (although I think that will happen regardless of spin - this is a very polarized country). He also put up a tweet of that Bill and Chelsea photo with "Slick Willie" underneath, which...tells you again how he feels about the Clintons. 

My favorite part was that he was upset that they didn't shake hands during the debate, because decorum is still important, even in a race like this. If that doesn't tell you how out of touch the Beltway is, nothing will.

• Members

I think many pundits were ready to call this for Trump until the numbers came in showing Clinton with a decisive in some cases or smaller margin of victory.

Most are talking about his "I will appoint a prosecutor and jail you" comment and shocked by it.

The CNN focus group was interesting. Majority don't believe him. And the answer to the tape question by he and Hillary - his panned hers accepted.

He stopped the bleeding from his base but won no new voters

Chris Matthews actually finally said very nice things about Clinton looking calm and presidential.

And this

"Trump ended first debate by questioning Clinton's stamina; he ends second debate by praising her tenacity and drive"

He called her a fighter and never quitting.

You'd be wrong about the Cilizza stuff. It has not resonated anywhere. Most indicate he performed better but he still didn't win. That's it.

The stuff that stuck out is he didn't answer the tape question, he also threatened to jail Clinton.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Uhm we are not talking about his base who eats up everything he says. We are talking about level headed voters. The only thing positive that Trump was acknowledged to have done is rile up his base which already support him. Nothing he did gained him undecided voters or gained him any ground with women. No one accepted the answer on the tapes he gave.

The other aspect that was not liked was his posturing. People did not like the idea he seemed to stalk Clinton all over the stage, hovering behind her when she talked. The visual from that is a killer.

Chris Matthews said this debate was no game changer and the big story hasn't changed. It's still about the tape. He did nothing to alleviate that and that's still the item that most people are thinking of and will continue to talk about.

The best anyone could say is that he seemed more composed than the last debate.

LA Times is saying Clinton won

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-second-presidential-debate-scorecard/

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Unless you've been following the election from the primaries you wouldn't know. It's not like the conventions had 150 million viewers. And most people honestly don't pay attention to what the pundits say or spend their time watching endless CNN etc news coverage 7 days a week. So you pay attention to key events that happen after Labor Day. I don't see why it's surprising people would not have heard this.

• Members

The real problem for the GOP, as many commentators are saying: She won the debate and he lost and turned off everyone but his base, but she didn't end him, probably because she didn't want to. So unless Pence drops out as is increasingly rumored, they're stuck with him all month, and she's got plenty more where the !@#$%^&*] tape came from.

• Members

More of the "stopped the bleeding, relief, he beat her in the debate, although he would still lose the election right now," narrative. I imagine how much the media would be pushing a huge win if not for the tape. I still kind of wish she wouldn't bother with the last debate. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/2016-presidential-debate-gop-reaction-229520

This happened after the primaries though, for a week (even longer if you count rallies), a high-profile week, in an election that more have paid attention to than many recent elections. But we'll agree to disagree. 

Edited by DRW50