The Politics Thread

• Members

This problem has existed for years, but I posted his Op-ed because unlike many other articles that point out the issue, at least his discusses some solutions. And it needs to be stated often that the Democratic party gives loads of attention and resources to courting the white working class, while practically ignoring the fact that other ethnicities exist as part of the American working class. Stacey Abrams and LaToya Brown have organizations that fill in many of these gaps, but they are outliers and they are directed specifically to the state of Georgia (not that this can't be scaled up).

The Democrats really need to get to work implementing strategies, as the gaps are widening, seemingly with each election.

EDT: When I say "scaled up", I also mean tailored specifically for each state's demographics and issues.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm just going to be honest about this, a lot of the problem is misogyny. The more Democrats elevate Black and brown women the more certain men will feel threatened. 

This goes back to something I keep saying: the Democrats are a coalition. Appealing to one part of that coalition often risks alienating another part. This something continually ignored when people complain about Democratic "messaging." Blow mentions that lots of Black and Brown men oppose abortion. What "message" does he think Dems can offer someone like that? 

I don't trust anyone on the left who complains about the two-party system. This is it. There isn't ever going to be a viable third party so deal with reality.

Edited by marceline

• Members

I'm reminded of the months after the 2004 election where there was a great deal of hype, and gushing media praise, over W and Karl Rove winning over black and Hispanic voters through social conservatism. I still remember going to some of the 'progressive' blog sites and seeing diary entries along the lines of, "Time to throw gays under the bus?" Sometimes I still wonder what might have happened if the GOP had not massively screwed up in  2005 in ways even the press couldn't cover. 

One of the strengths the GOP has is that it exists only to cut taxes for the rich, appoint judges, and block anything Democrats  want to do. This is still seen as perfectly fine, as the ideal, by  many voters,  the press, and many in the Democratic Party. That is why you have even the simplest policies which could win over voters and help people, like more flexible drug pricing, has been shut down by the "reasonable" and "bipartisan" Democrats in Congress who profit from  nothing ever getting done.

• Members

The truth is that the only way this country survives is by the rest of us marching in lockstep for the next few years.

Black, brown, white, queer, men, women, Jewish, Muslim, etc... we've got to stand up for each other even if it means short term hits. The scary thing is that a lot of people on the left crave authoritarianism.

The most important thing is to remove Republicans from government on every level.

• Members

On Sunday, it's election day in Germany – who will succeed Angela Merkel as the country's new chancellor (and the most powerful person in the European Union)?
The three main candidates are Olaf Scholz (Social Democrats), who is currently leading the polls, Annalena Baerbock (The Greens), and Armin Laschet (Christian Democrats, Merkel's party).
The Left, FDP (Free Democrats) and right-wing AfD (Alternative for Germany) also hope to gain as many seats as possible. AfD is still very popular in the East 

Please register in order to view this content

There are also 41 other small parties you can give your to, among them the Animal Protection Party, the Free Voters, the Pirate Party, Volt Germany, or the Grey Party.

One thing is for sure: None of these candidates will have the same impact as Merkel had.

• Members

@HuntressEarlier this week, I read a newspaper article about how many Syrian refugees have name their children Angela, Angie or Merkel (boys). They credit her for saving their lives. It's really endearing. She took a lot of searing criticism but this is part of her legacy as well, and one that, in time, I believe will look kindly on her tenure as Chancellor.