The Politics Thread

• Members

Although I agree with a number of your assessments, I don't know, I think it's too early to be so dispirited while there are too many people on stage. 

I have this thing against early pronouncements based on very early debates.  One of Obama's earliest debate performances had people pronouncing him basically out of the race and none of the major network debate moderators took Trump seriously as a candidate and therefore, very few asked him any seriously probing questions.

Elizabeth Warren has given the most consistently strongest debate performances overall so far, but again, while there are a dozens of other candidates, many candidates are not even being asked probing questions about their background and history.  Although I suspect no one really takes Williamson seriously (at least, I hope not since her ideas on vaccinations and HIV are downright dangerous), Gabbard has the potential to be another Jill Stein, and her second debate on the stage, they keep asking her the same questions, no different from her first time on the debate stage. While Gabbard is up there, why not ask her some serious questions about her record, her known associations and statements that she has made. 

Until the herd is thinned, I can't truly gain much insight from these debates, other than that Warren has a "plan for that".

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The debates are not worth watching at this point. They're just romper room at this size. And no, I don't think we're screwed at all. I'm just screening out a lot of the noise.

As for Gabbard, she is part of a Russian op. They astroturfed a Harris hashtag overnight. Now she's getting roasted for this. Gabbard will never work the way they want - her rep is much deeper and more virulent and well-known than Stein's.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I expected them to keep up this reunification initiative after Trump singled the four out, and it's smart for each side of the inter-party divide. Ultimately we need each other (and Omar needs Pelosi more than vice versa).

• Members

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/455702-michael-moore-urges-michelle-obama-to-run-against-trump

I've never liked or trusted Michael Moore to do anything beyond get his name in the press. I hope that nonsense like the above can help everyone finally stop seeing him as having any valid opinion.

Yet we will still hear all about how diverse the GOP is and how Democrats are the ones shutting people out. 

• Members

In the last two sets of debates, I was so appalled with the way CNN produced and moderated the debates that I'm giving all the frontrunners a pass. It was so hard for me to navigate watching it, that it's a miracle they survived participating in it. I side eyed Chuck Todd when NBC did the debates, but overall I thought their format and choice of anchors was balanced. There was a very short 15-30 second intro, setting of the rules and then the debate started. Questions flowed and while they did interrupt for time, I felt it flowed much better. CNN by contrast had the ultra long fight night intros and it was 10-15 minutes until the first question was asked both nights. Then instead of picking topics and delving into them, everything was basically "This person said this about you, please attack them so we can get a good soundbyte." All three moderators should be ashamed of themselves and so should the network. This debate was a complete waste of time.

With that said, I do think Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker did the best of staying on message both nights. Bernie I feel felt more energized and did well despite me not liking him. Joe Biden continues to disappoint me. When he isn't stuttering and stumbling he just doesn't articulate what HE wants to do. By now he should know he'll be taken to task as frontrunner and he isn't prepared for those attacks or to explain his policies. Kamala Harris I felt did good against a large amount of expected attacks. I think her major stumble wasn't addressing the specific points Tulsi raised. All have been debunked, but she was at a disadvantage because it was too much to explain in the amount of time she had. She needs to expand on those things in interviews to clarify as she has in the past.

Also, the biggest takeaway from this debate was what a problem Tulsi is going to be. I see her doing a third party run to screw things up. Her support from russia is so strong and it was out in full force last night on Twitter. She's ranking so low in the polls, yet is getting so much press. She'll never be the nominee, but it's scary to think of her running third party and screwing things up.

• Members

The other thing I'll say about Kamala Harris is the attacks about Willie Brown are coming, and coming soon. I hope her team has a surefire way of dealing with them. 

I do wonder how many Republicans are secretly relieved to have Hurd go. It's just one seat, and most of the people in big roles in the party don't care about "diversity" or "the way of the future" or other jargon. They are happy to lock down the white vote and white male voices - and they have been very successful in maintaining power that way. More successful than they were when they pretended to care about diversity.