Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Because there was some discussion about Cynthia Nixon's run for governor of NY, I thought this might be of interest. 

Also, this sort of ties into that mention that I made about reading news from publications other than the same ones that get posted from all the time-- Nixon did her first interview since declaring her candidacy with the Amsterdam News.

(*warning-- there's an annoying embedded video newsfeed that runs to the right of the article.  Just click pause or mute, if you want to silence it*).

Candidate and the city: Cynthia Nixon speaks one-on-one with the AmNews

To those who may not know, the Amsterdam News (formerly The New York Amsterdam News), is the oldest active Black newspaper in the United States.  When I lived in NYC, I often used to read it and I have a particular fondness for the Amsterdam News since reading it helped me find my first apartment.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I've read the theory that all this chaos is good for Dems because it demoralizes the people who voted for Trump just because they wanted to give him a chance to "shake things up" finally get to see what that instability is like in real life. It may not make them vote Democrat but it might make them sit home.

• Members

He is a horror show and the damage he's done to Wisconsin is likely going to be felt for a long time. 

A man who looks so much like a well-lit version of the monster from the Goonies being so hyped as a Presidential candidate for years tells you a lot about the low standards for the GOP.

• Members

Just after the Trump administration undoubtedly pissed off Xi Jinping and China with saber rattling over tariffs, Kim Jong-un makes his first trip to another country as North Korean leader-- and where does he land?  Why China, of course!

You think they're discussing a certain possible summit with a certain dotard politician from the U.S.?

• Members

I know there were claims of a distance growing between China and NK over the last few years, and China not having the say they once had. I wonder if this will help thaw that or if it's lip service.

If NK does get closer to South Korea that would probably benefit China and bring SK closer to China, so I guess that's an issue as well.

I keep waiting for Trump or Bolton to say something stupid and dangerous again about North Korea. The Stormy saga has just been a distraction from the norm. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I've never believed there was any discernible distance between the two countries. Certainly, North Korea aggravates China at times but North Korea has natural resources that China values and trade between the two countries has only increased over the past year. 

At times, China views North Korea as a wayward cousin that needs guidance and an occasional lecture yet when Chinese citizens were posting derisive comments about Kim Jong-un on Weibo, China's microblogging platform, referring to Kim as "Fatty Kim", the Chinese government clamped down and began to censor any reference to "Fatty Kim", scrubbing the site completely of any sign of the nickname.

I have friends who are originally from South Korea and culturally, many South Koreans are culturally quite close  to China.  They grew up watching TV shows, including cartoons from China in the 1980s.  Now, it's the reverse with many Chinese watching and dancing to K-Pop as well as following beauty/aesthetic trends coming out of South Korea but 30 years ago, when many of my friends were children, it was the exact opposite.

South Korea and China are not in lockstep with everything, especially since politically, S. Korea is a democracy but the two countries certainly have less tensions than say... South Korea and Japan has, due to Japan's onetime occupation of South Korea and the Japanese military once making sex slaves of South Korean women (once known as "Comfort Women").

Stormy or no Stormy, many people have been and remain dubious that there will actually be a summit taking place between the Trump administration and the North Koreans.

I guess we'll see but one thing remains consistent and that is the relationship between China and North Korea, which was never in doubt.

Edited by DramatistDreamer