The Politics Thread

• Members

The reason for that is the media sees this voter as the "real" voter (as Palin used to say, in another form, when she wasn't trapped on her Facebook page). They have for decades, with all the cute nicknames they could come up with ("soccer moms" "NASCAR dads" "Walmart moms"). If we're still around in 2020 we'll hear another nickname for them and a reminder that they rule and we are meaningless.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have a friend in North Carolina who is working a minimum wage job. Every time one of those puff pieces comes out she tweets the publication to say that she's there if they ever want to talk to a member of the working class in a red state that voted for Hillary Clinton.

• Members

Absolutely. 

You're probably right that he will want to brutalize anyone who opposes him, but the response to his tweet banning trans people from the military gives me hope that people will stand with marginalized groups. The proof is in the pudding and I feel like many of us have not truly been tested.  Not the way average people in Germany were tested in the 30's and 40's I mean.  I'm hoping we won't be, but every day 45 is testing for weakness and seeing how far he can push into being an authoritarian leader. Today's speech proved that.

• Members

I'm reading White Working Class by Joan Williams at the recommendation of someone on Facebook.  I know some people are well over this group, but I am learning some interesting things.  For example few people making under $30,000 voted for Trump. The average income of his voters is $72, 000 (I did know that). 

It's a short and interesting read because it tells me some things I've been wondering about how the WWC is different from the working class as a whole. One thing she said is that black people look at people in poverty and think "There but for the grace of God go I".  White people tend to think that it's their family values and adhesiveness to social norms that keep them from slipping into poverty. The implication she seems to be making is that both ideas are right. One divorce, once slip into addiction and people on the edge slip into poverty. It's just that the WWC way of thinking leads to resentment of people that do slip and need public assistance.

Oh girl. Of course, black people will be good allies. I mean will white people find their souls and courage and do the same for you if it comes to that.

• Members

@Vee, you are dropping bombs in these tweets tonight. Oh I cannot wait for Trump to turn his fangs on the GOP. That's what they deserve to selling their soul out to the Devil. 

Please register in order to view this content

at Mooch's wife filing for divorce b/c of his love for Trump. This administration is a mess.

• Members

This administration is not good for much but they are solid where absurdity and soap opera-like hi-jinks are concerned. The Young and the Restless may likely be jealous.

Here's a factoid for the obtuse folks in the back who want to go on and on about Obama every time we talk about Trump being terrible at governing.

• Members

Oh, that Trump.  If he isn't breaking up HIS home, he's breaking up someone else's.

Khan (to Trump): "You're going after who?  To do what?  Oh, your goose is as good as cooked!".

(Srsly, if that fool believes he could wage war against the GOP in Congress like that and win, then he's gonna need all the luck (and hopefully, medication) he can get.)

To the surprise and sympathy of no one.

(Sorry, Reince.  You lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.)

• Members

The funny thing is Fran Drescher broke up with the guy who wants to run against Elizabeth Warren (I think his line is "it takes an Indian to beat an Indian) after seeming very happy with him until a few years ago, when he likely became a Trump leg-humper.

For all the talk of how political differences aren't worth losing relationships, that just isn't true in many cases, and Trump has made that very clear in a way even W didn't. 

In another example of the Beltway's navel-gazing, Politico decided to take time for a lengthy article reminding us that McConnell is extremely intelligent and super smart and don't you forget it. It ends up reading more like PR than much else.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/28/mcconnells-strange-achievement-215436?lo=ap_c1

• Members

I have a feeling that might be the case here.  Quiet as it's kept, but I think the military and intelligence communities decided some time ago they needed to act independently of Trump on these matters.  If and when we ARE attacked by North Korea or other nemesis, I doubt the Pentagon would want to be caught unaware or unprepared to retaliate (even if they have to do so covertly and without Trump's say-so).

• Members

The problem is that once we go down that road it is a very, very slippery slope for the Republic and for separation of powers vs. a military coup.

It's all The Apprentice to him:

Edited by Vee