Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Men like this tend to see black or Hispanic women as a fetish.

Regarding how this clip seems like bad acting - there is a fine line between performance art and fascism with these types of men. Some on leftist Twitter that I don't care for but sometimes make valid points have been documenting the failed comedians who moved into podcasting and then melded fully into extremist, white supremacist behavior. Joe Rogan is the most obvious example, but there are many others further down the list who platformed the Proud Boys and other hate groups.

There is also a push to deify these men as "real" men, even though they are greasy and grimy and toxic beyond belief. It's the most toxic version possible of the old cartoons about the scrawny guy kicking sand in the face of the bully. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The fool on the WH really had these folks believing that they could act with as much impunity as he has with zero consequences.

Look at all these corporate vultures beating a hasty retreat after all the years of boot licking and bloodsucking! What a feeling it must be to come to the realization that one is on the wrong side of history.

As for Sábato Jr., I wish we wouldn't devote any more space in this thread to his venomous brain farts, it's literally a waste of space. He is a failed politician and his demon candidate lost and will be turned out of office in ten days. Maybe posts about Antonio can go back in the "Where Are They Now?" thread where they can load more quickly and therefore be skipped over more easily?

• Members

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/10/manchin-prefers-targeted-stimulus-checks-457065

(not even getting into his other comments, like praising the treasonous senators who changed their mind at the last minute)

I know there's more important stuff going on right now, I am not trying to derail, but this just really upsets me because yes, I could use the money, but beyond that, I feel like there are so many conversations not being had in this country about the working poor. This idea that still dominates our decisionmaking that paints a picture of people who have jobs being automatically able to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" is extremely punishing, extremely out of touch, dangerously so. Considering he raised a daughter whose company jacked up the price of epi pens by an obscene amount, apparently he has little interest in suffering people, but these views go far beyond him, and I don't feel like they are ever going to go away. 

I've seen comments about how he also does not want to give stimulus checks to people on Social Security. There's no way in hell the Democrats would go for that, but if true that also stupefies me, considering how many of these people are living below the poverty line. 

Agreed.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I agree that Sábato Jr. has no relevance now.
I posted only in reply to others who had asked about his account.

The only thing newsworthy is regarding his father Sábato Sr. who was an actor in his own right and died of COVID.  Which I guess I should have posted on the COVID thread or the "in memoriam" thread.
Edit -- and I see that was posted on those threads earlier today.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

No harm, no foul. It wasn't meant as any type of reprimand or anything, I just thought I'd introduce the idea to see if maybe there was concensus and I am relieved that we (the collective) agree, so far

Please register in order to view this content

Funny thing about that Arnold Schwarzenegger post...it has a very Hollywood quality about it. I can't help but think that Trump must be seething, as Arnold is the action adventure star that Trump has often wished he could be.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Capitol Police Officer Howard Liebengood's father was
the late Howard S. Liebengood - who was the Senate's Sergeant of Arms in the early 1980s.

The elder Leibengood worked at times as an aide to Republican leadership at times, and a powerful lobbyist.
Obit of the elder Liebengood who passed away in 2005:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-01-17-0501170007-story.html

The current Sergeant of Arms (Stenger) was forced to resign a few days ago
Officer Liebengood's boss (Capitol Police chief Sund) was forced to resign a few days ago.

All the reports I read don't seem to know whether Officer Liebengood was working at Capitol on January 6th, or if he had the day off.

Regardless, I cannot imagine what Officer Liebengood must have been feeling.

• Members

Remember when the Republicans railed for years, it seems about Benghazi? Well now, there has been a loss of life in this insurrection that has exceeded that of the attack on the diplomatic compound in Libya and all of a sudden, Republicans are eager to heal and turn the page.

• Members

"a bunch of redneck hillbilly white trash."

That's what they looked like, how they dressed. I think they did that as a ruse.

They actually had money and expensive equipment, and flew in from all over the US, and stayed at fancy hotels in Washington DC.

They tried to give off an atmosphere of being poor hillbillies. They seemed to act like frat boys partying and doing pranks, that you would just wink at.  But that's not who they were.

It was highly organized and meticulously plotted.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I get your concerns but I think people are giving Manchin too much influence here.  The GOP lost the senate some are assuming because of the lack of action on the $2000 check. I am not going to fret over this. I think Biden is going to get what he wants whatever that happens to be. I actually read over some of his initial economic plan and I am actually pretty pleased. And those concerns Manchin claims to have can shake out if everyone gets a payment and it's reconciled at tax time, because lots of people never got any help because it was based on 2019 income. And yeah excluding people on SS is a no go.

I am more concerned about his comments on the filibuster which is a relic and should go. And I think Biden has mixed feelings on it.

• Members

Agreed. I'm also not going to waste my agita on Manchin right now. He is hedging because he is not saying no and/or he knows Biden has the votes, and that is all that matters to me. And he is also not saying no on DC/PR statehood.