OLTL: Andrea Evans OFFICIALLY OUT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although I have pointed out that Andrea Evans never evolved and that her era has passed her by...I do agree that some actors just have 'IT' which makes up for their lack of skill. Andrea Evans absolutely has 'IT'

She's an icon, of that there is no argument in my view. She MADE the character of Tina just as so many other actors and actresses have taken the words off a page and MADE their character with their facial expressions, tone and movement. Andrea Evans did that.

What failed her is Carlivati's writing. I am not an OLTL fan, I know Strasser and Slezak of course and Hickland and Evans but that's as far as I go...but even I watched the show and thought "Um...what is this crap?" AMC is much better at the moment...so what's happened to Andrea is a botched writing job. She needed a writer and producer who remembers the 80s and what being TINA LORD is all about.

Not once did I see a scene that was in any way reminiscent of "I Tina, take thee Cord..."

Y&R should only consider taking on Ms Evans if they are willing to bump Judith Chapman to recurring and fire Greg Rikaart...that show can't handle more OTT divas than that. That said, she should go to B&B, that show is in DESPERATE need of an OTT red headed diva (Rest In Peace Darlene and Sally), she'd be wonderful on B&B as a scheming fashion designer. They can just forget Tawny...bring on someone with claws!

• Members

By most accounts, OLTL intended to keep AE as long as possible, so I don't think their writing for her was a matter of "we don't give a [!@#$%^&*]." Clearly they did; I think that for all the flaws in her return, the love for her character and specifically, her portrayal therein, shone through in the scripts. Those scenes at the motel with Cain, the dog and the bizarre jeweler were hilarious if you took them out of their storyline context. Unfortunately, in context that funny stuff was happening while Tina was dragging her heels on Jared and Natalie. It was just good comedy mismanaged.

I enjoyed some of Mendorra, probably more than I should, and despite my preference for down-to-earth, reality-based soap, I understand the impulse and interest in doing a classic '80s adventure SL with a similarly iconic '80s character. I think there can be a good balance between light adventure/comedy and serious soap, and in the past everyone from Carlivati, to Malone, to Claire Labine has struck it well, on various shows. (Claire did BJ's heart, but she also had Lucy Coe, Sigmund the duck, Sonny and Brenda fighting crime, etc.) I don't think comedy, or even camp is a dirty word unless the show, and then the viewer, allows it to become one. OLTL was doing well with these elements up to a point this year, but the rot quickly set in on the Mendorra SL and then it went south. The fact is, it was constructed properly but did not utilize all the characters we love to see Tina interact with - Viki, Cord, Bo, Tina, etc - soon enough or often enough. I've just started getting used to Tina in Llanview again, enjoying her with Bo and Viki, loving her scenes with Roxy. It's a shame that has to end, especially since a story which would allow AE to stretch and show a dramatic range which I was shocked to discover she has - in which she reconnects with her cast-off children and reconciles herself to what she did to drive them away - has yet to play out.

I loved Karen Witter in the role, but I wouldn't want anyone but AE back at this point. And I think she will be back. I think arbitrarily deciding to cut Tina, Cord or their kids out of the canvas is a thoughtless, unintelligent choice when people suggest it. They can offer so much if they are written properly.

Archived