OLTL: Marty/Todd Promo Spoiler

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, so I watched the youtube links that Canadian TVGuide provided today on the original gang rape and trial. I had seen part of this in real time...but it was a reminder of how gruesome and traumatic it was.

Even with that FRESH in my mind, I am not having the problem with this that some of you are, for several reasons.

A. Psychologically, it is a fascinating question of how those two could get from where they were back then to now. (Of course, the answer is that she had to get amnesia). But, putting that aside, the issue is whether with a "clean slate" (at least on her side) these two have a connection. Said differently: If the rape had never happened, could there have been a different kind of connection. To some extent, this story answers that.

B. THERE IS NO DOUBT in my mind that there will be consequences and a payoff. OBVIOUSLY Todd is not going to get away with this. OBVIOUSLY, even if they marry, the marriage will not be consummated.

So, in that sense, this is clearly going to be a classic morality tale. I have every faith in ABC and RC that this will be in the case.

But, until then, it is one of the most fascinatingly complex "what ifs" I can recall in recent memory. I am not as disgusted as others because I truly believe there will be significant consequences.

• Members

At this point the only payoff for me would be for Todd to die. He has pissed off too many people. Kidnapping and violating Marty again, plotting to steal his teenage daughter's baby and telling her it is dead is just too much. Its a shame bc he is a legacy character with so many ties to the show and has deep history but he's beyond ruined. The only succesful thing that Ron C has done with this story is plant the seeds for an amazing murder mystery and I dont think that was his intention here

shoot I never even thought it would get as far as it has already. The fact that they have even kissed and fallen in love is disgusting enough. I never imagined that this was where the story was heading when we first learned that Marty would be back

• Members

Why and how is this obvious? I have seen people say that OBVIOUSLY the show wouldn't go so far as to have Todd and Marty kiss. And OBVIOUSLY Ron wouldn't have Marty develop romantic feelings for Todd. And OBVIOUSLY this wouldn't be a romantic story ("Dance with me Todd Manning") but a psychological one. As a matter of fact, all of the things that various people on various boards have said would OBVIOUSLY never happen, have happened.

You seem to be counting on good taste, decency and limits. OBVIOUSLY those things are gone.

• Members

Ditto.

I'm not as confident as you about the outcome, MarkH, but I do find this all a fascinating "what if" and I'm willing to trust that this storyline will conclude with Marty getting her memory back and Todd being punished--severely. If I thought Todd were going to get away with this, I don't think I'd be able to watch these scenes at all.

Between kidnapping Marty and planning to kidnap Starr's baby, I can't help but wonder if they're setting up Todd to be killed off; it seems like an awful lot of people in Llanview will have motive.

• Members

Even just attempted murder ("Who shot JR?") could be highly effective.

If they go that route, the only story that makes sense is for it to be Starr. She would get away with it (if she "blacked out").

If she shoots him in the head (too GH! I can't believe I typed that!) it could pave the way for a personality or character transplant.

Archived