OLTL: Discussion for the Week of September 29th, 2008

• Members

Well I might get some flack from this but what the hell...

...what an awesome well rounded epsiode! it was the best episode since OLTL had suffered one of those usual summer slumps this year.

I went into this whole dream sequence/game show idea with low expectations. However somehow Ron Carlivati, Elizabeth Page, and Carolyn Culliton all had me in shock when the episode ended.

This episode is the definition of a emotional rollercoaster. It flowed wonderfully, from the camp of Rex's dream to the emotional human drama of the people who rallied outside of the operating room at the hospital. The drama wasn't only at the hospital, but it also was in the scenes between Natalie and Tess in the secret room. I can even say that I honestly believe FF tried her damnest to, and the first in a long time, to act the part she playing.

Not only was the episode a nice mix of drama and camp, btu it served as a nice history lesson for those not familair with Rex's character. It also served as a nice study of the character of Rex Balsom. I can see after this Rex will be loaded with guilt and regret about not being there for Shane and feeling as if he's not up for the job.

Another thing I have to point out is that, this whole game sequence was a nice twist to the same old, recycled, tired plot point of having a main character go to heaven, look back on their life, and come out of this having some sort of epiphany(Viki, Tad AMC). I'm not saying that all characters have an out of body experience, but it was nice and quite original plot point to use.

Great to the cast and crew of OLTL, it was truly wodnerful episode to watch. Larry Carpenter especially did a great job too.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really, really enjoyed today's episode. It was very Rex centric but I love Rex so I didn't mind. The way that everyone gathered together at the hospital to hear news is very life like. Layla trying to get in touch with Adrianna, Jared trying to get Natalie, Bo exerting his authority to find out any news. I loved Bo today. Him talking with Roxy practically broke my heart. Bo has lost two children and Rex is like a surrogate son to him. If he were to lose Rex I think it could kill him.

I loved the game show. Loved seeing Ty Treadway again. I really don't think that man ages. I really liked that they showed this side of Rex. He wants to be a good Dad but his past choices make him believe that Brody would be a better father. Shane is acting exactly how you would expect and Gigi better have money specifically set aside for therapy.

The last two days have been humanizing to Tess. We have seen her with Bree and Natalie made her cry. She got through to her on some level. Maybe we will see the old Tess.

• Members

For all the sturm and drang about OH NOES FANTASY EPISODE this was easily the best fantasy episode this regime has done, and probably one of the very best episodes since Nash's death. Excellent work which addressed so many fan issues with Rex's character.

• Members

This is my official vote for the Jen Rappaport needs to be alive storyline. I miss Jen so very, very much. So good seeing her.

I didn't mind the campy game show aspect at all. It's not my thing but it got the point across. I'm glad we were given a list of possible fathers for Rex. I think Mitch is too obvious a candidate but perhaps the story/surprise isn't his father, but how/why?

• Members

Another good eppy with many characters getting called on some of their sh!t.

Rex was called on his womanizing, Todd/Tommy situation, love for Gigi, and his selfishness during the game show. I thought it was funny the audience was chanting "Brody, Brody, Brody" because it is what some of the viewers are currently doing with this s/l. I have always thought RC was intentionally writing Brody to be more sympathetic than Rex/Gigi and this whole game show proved it for me....this is such an awesome s/l!!

Gigi got called on her sh!t today by her own son and it was heartbreaking. FF did a good job portraying her realization that she is being selfish. I am glad Gigi told Shane it will be a big mistake if she did not see Rex because he would never forgive himself.

Layla could not get a hold of Adriana because Adriana is already on a flight there!!lol Remember Addie was supposed to contact her.

Jess/Tess also got called on her sh!t, I am happy Natalie finally got a chance to tell her like it is. When BW pounded on the window it gave me chills.

• Members

Wow, so naturally Shane's asthma acts up when lyingbitchGigi starts to spill the beans.

How lovely it would have been if Shane had called Gigi out on the "no cell phones or emails back then" line she pulled. The kid's young, but he ought to know some things...he should have called her on that! And wow, Farah, this kid is acting circles around you. Go 'head, Austin!

• Members

None of my friends had cell phones ten years ago and very few of us had computers as they were really expensive then. I had to go to the computer lab at my college if I wanted to check email. Plus, there weren't any search engines then like there are today. So I buy what she was saying

• Members

"We didnt have cellphones and email back then"

LMAO....Did anyone else roll their eyes or laugh when Gigi said this? Is she still stuck in 1968? I know they SORASed Rex but Im still thinking of him when he came to town 6 years ago and those 2 things were around. Heck, they've been around for more than 10 years. Gigi isnt that old. Thats a line someone like Dorian or Tina could get away with saying

• Members

I'll be honest. I was dreading the "Who wants to be Shane Morasco's father?" scenes. Sunset Beach did something similar and it was hilarious. But OLTL isn't SuBe. Thankfully, the entire episode was a pleasure to watch. Ty would make a GREAT gameshow host, by the way. And I loved the way it dovetailed into Who is Rex's father? I'm hoping the answer is a certain character played by a Mr. R. Born!

The whole episode was excellent. I *hated* Farah Fath on Days but she really convinced me she was a mom yesterday -- albeit a somewhat selfish one. I really felt for Shane when he pleaded with her that Brody was really messed-up right now and alone in a cell. Loved seeing Roxy, too.

The Nat/Tess scenes felt like they had some momentum to them. Natalie getting under Tess's skin via Bree was amazing ("When this whole thing is over? It will be OVER" -- Natalie indicating that Tess will either be in St Anne's or banished to some dark corner of Jessica's psyche).

I know it's unfashionable to be liking Carlivati right now but I am into OLTL this week. And considering this was only a Wednesday epiosde -- not bad.

Archived