Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Members

Yeah, Mark was her dad (Paula's estranged husband) who was involved with Clarissa for much of the show's run. He got pushed out when Baxter came back from the dead. Then of course they made him this spy/double agent commie trader or whatever and he got killed in a shootout I believe at the Lincoln Memorial. BTW, in the above SOW interview of Conboy, he means to say Jefferson Memorial, not Lincoln, where Sloane and Trey were married.

Sloane was never pure evil, just a vixen I guess you could say, but not far in you could see that Julie was a bit of a drip (recasting with CH helped) and I at least sensed that Sloane was taking on the heroine role that for all intents and purposes belonged to Julie as originally intended. I have a clipping somewhere of a fan writing in and criticizing the show for softening ALL of its heavies, save for Myrna and or Paula, and even they weren't as conniving as they'd been. But what could have been a really fun, delicious pair of schemers (think AMC's David and Liza), Trey and Sloane became sort of your typical sappy romantic pair but infused with all of that '80s pretentious idea of romance (champagne, caviar).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

LOL, this was my re-intro to the show, the very first clip on the very first CAPITOL tape I acquired. Yes indeed, right up Marj's alley! It would be cool if they could somehow reunite her with Jess on Y&R. I've never felt that Y&R was Marj's kind of show, but I don't exactly feel that way any longer.

• Members

Marla Adam is on Y&R occasionally too.

They could bring bring her in as Gloria's older sister. If the show hadn't killed off the Carltons I would have had her as Brad's mother, fussing and plotting against the various ladies in his life and manipulating granddaughter Colleen.

Here's another promo, at the start of this ATWT episode from October 86. It's tough to see. It's very early in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el0P4KXtMI&feature=related

Another from sometime in 86. It sounds like they're saying, "in heat."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KVQOJnIOE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Glad I stumbled upon this at work...just gave me an opportunity to read a few things and comment:

That's because I think alot of those B&B sets are indeed reworkings of sets from Capitol. Yes, Sy Thomasoff and co. matched the doors of the exteriors to their real life counterparts(i.e. Bell Mansion/Forrester LR), but if you look carefully at #3 in the picture, that looks ALOT like the Forrester mansion. Only difference is that the staircase is alot lower(and the foyer leading to the main door isn't elevated), the fireplace is a different color, and the glass window and wall are there instead of the open glass doors. But even the tile on the floor in picture three is the same as the tile in the Forrester mansion.

Another thing to note is that I swear the tile/floor pattern and the basic structure of Ridge's Bel-Air home looks eerily similar to a set that I saw when viewing Capitol clips on WoST or YouTube a few years back. Even the entrance to the home is the same.

And I had to laugh at that George Beckett quote. I love his work, but he's always worked on soaps that were or that were seen by critics as being style over substance. Capitol was no exception.

• Members

I think you're right - that set does remind me of the Forrester living room. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

Do you watch Capitol very often? I have to admit I haven't as much as I want...I'm still trying to get through 3-4 other soaps on Youtube.

• Members
I didn't really notice it until I saw that picture. Strange indeed. And Capitol retained alot of the same production staff when B&B occupied their studio and timeslot. People in hair/makeup, set design(Thomasoff was Capitol's Art Director before moving to B&B ), and even Bill Glenn and Michael Stich(who were both Capitol directors).

I mean, the changes were extensive, but you can clearly see that alot of the makeup of that LR is in B&B's Forrester Mansion. I wish I knew what that other set was...I honestly think it was the Glegg Mansion because Marj Dusay was doing her usual ham dance.

Capitol clips, I have to admit, bore me to tears. It amazes me that John Conboy and CBS spent a crapload of money on a show that basically went absolutely nowhere, IMO. Edited by bellcurve

• Members

I'm trying to figure out which set bellcurve's being reminded of. The Clegg mansion was an extraordinary set, I can't think of many sets that had such height. The Alden mansion was tall and Erica's mid-'90s purple Linden House had a tall straight staircase too, but it was against a wall, not free standing, and didn't look quite as grand as the Cleggs'. The Cleggs also had a den to the left of the staircase that doubled as Sam's office. It was quite a contrast to the postmodern black and white living room, it was dark green and leather and wood. I could see that one being easily recycled. I read once that they were already building B&B sets around them as they were still taping Capitol. I bet at least one Capitol employee left a good luck booger or two. :P

I agree, Capitol could be kind of boring. At least it always looked great. I am definitely more drawn to the concept being from the area, plus the cast and the production values more than any particular storyline. It's one thing if they were taping in NY, but the way they'd fly from California to do on location stuff that could have easily been worked around or green screened was impressive. And even when they DID green screen, that was still impressive, particularly when it was clear that the footage was original (i.e., they sent someone out to film a drive from Arlington to the Capitol, they just didn't send the actors out and had them do it in front of the screen).

Did you all catch the pilot movie when it was on WoST? I had a soapgasm the day I saw that was uploaded.

• Members

I think bellcurve means the Clegg mansion. Photo #3, it just pops out at you when you don't necessarily think, "This is only from Capitol." It reminds me of some photos of the Forrester living room I remember from an interview with Thomashoff about designing for B&B.

I like some of what I've seen of Capitol - there's a certain dullness to it, although I do like the concept and a lot of the cast. I think they just needed a stronger producer and stronger focus. It sounds like Conboy loved the show, but I have to wonder if he loved his own idea a little too much, instead of thinking of what was best.