Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Members

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that Leslie was let go and I think her substance abuse problem had something (everything?) to do with it. I think Sampson was let go to make way for Egan, but I also want to say that Sam's role was beefed up with the arrival of Egan. This stuff I'm recalling from old fan forum conversations. My grandmother watched Capitol but I remember very little, I was under my other grandparents' and parents' ABC Daytime wing.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks. As you can see I know almost nothing about the show.

It's too bad they couldn't make it work enough to last, although the ratings still seemed respectable. If they could have hung on to the 90s I think the show might have gained a new following, as the 80s had, aside from Donna Rice/Gary Hart (which was after Capitol was off the air) had kind of dry political scandals, whereas the 90s was sex, sex, sex.

• Members

Oh my God, that was terrible how he turned Mark into a trader/spy and killed him off, definitely one of the greatest and most forgotten examples of character assassination in the history of soaps. He was a spunky good guy, kind of like a cooler Joe Martin/nicer Clint Buchanan. I love when he refers to Myrna as a "champion wirehaired bitch" in the pilot movie. ^_^

• Members

I guess Kelly Preston (going under her maiden name) was on the show at the start but her character was phased out pretty quickly circa 1982.

The character I was always intrigued by was Brenda Clegg... sounds like she was the rebellious, party-girl. How did you get along with her parents and siblings? Was she into politics or the complete opposite of politics?

I agree that it's a shame the show didn't survive into the 90's. We could have seen how the show handled the Gulf-war, sex scandals, etc. A soap like this would be great to have now.

Btw, someone mentioned Catherine Hickland was a better Julie. Did she make Julie less sickly sweet? I can't imagine Catherine Hickland playing a nice character (only old enough to recall her stints on loving and One life to live.. neither of which she played a goody two shoe).

• Members

From what I've seen, KBH seemed pretty whiney and annoying in the role while supposed to be a sympathetic heroine. CH's Julie was more of a likeable down-to-earth everywoman, a young lady with a good head on her shoulders. I think you can chalk that up to two things, yes, your new actress but also the evolution of the story/character. By the time CH started, they were past the introductory Capulet/Montague Clegg/McCandless s/l with Myrna henpecking Julie all the time about Tyler which of course brought out all of Julie's whiney teariness. Of course Myrna had to deal with her other daughter Brenda's on-again-off-again with a McCandless boy too, Brenda and Wally.

Brenda was the black sheep... kinda. As I said in my earlier post, she was just more of the family eff up, getting into trouble, not being the good little deb that Myrna wanted her to be. She had a working class heart. Leslie Graves was an interesting young actress, petite with small dark eyes. Karen Kelly, the final Brenda, is in the majority of eps I have. Her personality was a lot more bubbly and *actory*. By this time, she was torn between this guy named Dylan who was a mechanic who serviced Myrna's cars and Wally who Dylan teasingly referred to as "Waldo The Magnificent". :rolleyes:^_^

• Members

That's quite all right. ^_^

NW as Trey was the male lead of the show. He was very good, not the kind of man who'd be the male lead on a soap these days. Not a slap-you-around testosterone-fueled hunk by any means, he was '80s attractive, rich, powerful, cultured, dare I say effete by today's standards. I don't watch Gossip Girl but I want to say he's more like one of the guys on there, just judging by the way they bitchily preen and scheme in promos. :D But as a viewer wrote in to SOD back in the day, he like all of the "bad" characters, save for Myrna and Paula, got nicened up. They broke him up with Sloane and they were really a perfect match on paper, perhaps too much alike for it to work/remain interesting. He became a good dad to Scotty, a good mate to Kelly. I love the shot of him in the pilot movie where his limo damn near mows down a joggng ('80s!) Clarissa and he just devilishly grins staring straight ahead. I'd like to see more episodes to see if they hinted more in this direction, but if I remade Capitol today, I would definitely play up the flirtation between Trey and Myrna. Myrna was always trying to run his [!@#$%^&*] and get him in the White House, and I don't know if you know that Myrna was actually his stepmom. His bio mom Laureen came in the picture towards the end, she was played by Janis Page. She was going by an assumed name and became Scotty's nanny. I guess no one recognized her.

• Members

I've only seen a scene or two of Teri and Tonja. Tonja's character Lizbeth was involved with Julie's twin, Jordy. Then she got involved with Matt McCandless, the doctor who walked with crutches. I believe she was his date to Sloane and Trey's gorgeous wedding at the Jefferson Memorial.

• Members

BACHELOR

of the

ISSUE

By JODY CHESTER

Very handsome Nicholas Walker has captivated women in his role as Trey Clegg on "Capitol." A senator, Trey is caught within his family's wit, social graces and wealth. Under all this he not only has a drive to succeed, but compassion, love and vulnerability. That vulnerability and human passion is derived from Nicholas Walker.

Six feet tall, 160 lbs., Nicholas is a man of many dimensions. Humanity is very important to him. He is full of physical drive, and aside from acting, seeks a variety of outlets: tennis, soccer, sailing, horseback riding, mountain climbing. Easily bored, Nicholas explains this as his reason for such a wide variety of activities. For a while, Walker studied ballet, which he feels is the "ultimate beauty."

Born in Bogota, Columbia, Nicholas lived in Peru, Florida, and France by the time he was 10. He studied at the Royal Shakespeare Company in London, before returning to New York in 1980. Walker appeared on Broadway in Shaw's "Major Barbara." He was Brad Huntington on "The Doctors," while continuing to perform on off-off Broadway, and having a supporting role in the TV movie "For Ladies Only." Late in 1981, Nicholas was cast in "Capitol."

What Nicholas wants in a mate is not simply defined. "I don't look for a girl, I look for a woman. The difference is a woman knows her femininity, and she isn't afraid of it." Walker is intrigued by a curious person, who is not afraid to wonder and ask why. "Vulnerability is the key strength to a woman, if she knows how to handle it." He is turned off by female playing the role of cute, shy, coy little girls.

Preferring older women because they have more sense of self, and aren't afraid to love and express sensuality, Nicholas thinks he has the formula for the "ultimate woman." He's had the experience of both European and American relationships. "The European woman knows the art in life. She's content with fine music, wine and conversation. The American woman is enthusiastic, spontaneous, and has an athletic approach to love. Both are divine, but put together is perfection!"

Viewing life like mountain climbing, Nicholas is constantly looking for a challenge. "I see that mountain and I want to get on top."

What more can one say about the brown-haired, hazel-eyed male wonder?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Too hilarious. :lol: Both, really. Tonja's sort of feels like an Amy Sedaris monologue.

BTW, these mags were FOREVER making spelling mistakes. It's BACHman, not BOCKman. Myrna, not Myra. Cramer, not Kramer/Krammer. Viki not Vicki/Vicky/Vikki. And EriCa, not EriKa!