AMC: Derek Frye

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He never got an exit. Just before Jesse was offered his current position, it was mentioned that Derek went to Hawaii to visit Danielle. Thats it and Jesse took his place at the PCPD. HATED it bc we just got back Derek #2, whom I loved and was ready to see more of him.

• Members

Ah, so there's room for only one older black male in Pine Valley, especially if he's a cop as well. Derek and Livia got the [!@#$%^&*] end of the stick when Jesse and Angie returned, no doubt. They were treated badly as it is, but with Angie and Jesse back, I guess that fills the black people quota.

My mouth waters at the thought of Danielle and Frankie tearing it up together! Talk about some gorgeous chirn those two would have!

• Members

yeah I kind of felt that and couldnt see why they couldnt keep both of the Fryes around. I liked Derek and Jesse's interactions and it would have been great seeing them work together at the PCPD. As for Livia, she wasnt on much anyways, but I think she and Angie would have made great friends. Two strong professional older black women. Thats something you dont see on daytime and you still wont on AMC. But with that said, AMC has improved. We see 7 black characters on a regular basis now and thats quite the change from how white washed its been in recent years

• Members

Also, frankly, Tonya Pinkins could act circles around Darnell Williams and Debbi Morgan. Ironic how Tonya actually auditioned for the role of Angie against Morgan. Imagine how different things would be if casting went a different direction.

• Members

I wouldn't say Pinkins is BETTER than Williams and Morgan, but I'd at least say she's on the same level, as they are all extremely talented performers.

I would have loved to see a Frye/Hubbard quadrangle. Livia really needed to shed the Tom Cudahy weight.

Jesse could have been appointed Police Commissioner (allowing Derek to remain as Chief of Police, working directly under him). Derek could have some resentment toward Jesse for randomly coming back from the dead and landing a position over Derek, who has devoted solid decades to the PVPD. As Livia and Jesse work closely, Livia's marriage to Tom crumbles (I thought a breast cancer storyline would be a dynamic way to erode the Tom/Livia marriage and free Livia up for romance in Pine Valley again), and Livia confides in Jesse, forming a tight friendship. Livia and Angie become friends as well (maybe Angie consults with the oncologist on Livia's breast cancer?), and the Hubbards become a strong support system as Livia decides to finally call it quits with Tom.

While Livia and Jesse's working relationship continues, Livia's feelings start to grow, but she's conflicted and doesn't want to betray Angie or threaten Jesse's marriage. Perhaps conflicts with Angie allow Jesse to confide in Livia as well. Though friendly, Jesse and Livia are shocked by the feelings they both feel for each other, while Angie is usually opposed to Jesse's police work, and resents Livia's support of it.

Perhaps Cassandra spies an unexpected kiss between Jesse and Livia, and having no loyalty to Jesse, lets word slip to Frankie about his father's betrayal of his vows to Angie. Cassandra and Frankie don't want to hurt Angie with the news, but Frankie confronts Jesse, who is committed to his marriage and felt the kiss was a mistake. But Angie sees how Livia talks about Jesse and starts to wonder if the recently single Livia has ideas about Jesse.

This could be a great long term story.

First three month arc: Livia's breast cancer, Angie consults on Livia's case, Angie/Livia friendship starts, Livia/Tom's marriage dissolves, maybe Tom falls off the wagon... drunk driving accident which brings up Laura Cudahy history (brings Brooke back to the show?!), and means Jesse has to arrest Tom and it sends Tom off the canvas. Livia/Jesse's friendship deepens as she goes into remission and accepts a job in the DA's office where she'll work closely with the PVPD.

Second three month arc: Livia/Jesse work together, Livia becomes close friend of the Hubbards, Jesse's shot in the line of duty, Jesse/Angie have conflicts over Jesse's job when he won't quit, Jesse comes to rely on his friendship with Livia, a case they crack together brings Jesse/Livia even closer together. Angie hates that Jesse's work is taking more time away from their marriage and he's spending it with Livia, who Angie thought was her friend. Angie/Livia conflict. Jesse/Livia share a confused kiss.

Third three month arc: Cassandra spied the Jesse/Livia kiss, doesn't want to tell Angie, but tells Frankie, who's conflicted. Frankie confronts Jesse, Jesse wants to stay committed to his marriage, and tells Angie about the kiss. Angie flips and confronts Livia. Angie/Livia transition into enemies/rivals. Angie asks her ex and old friend Derek to keep an eye on his sister at the PVPD precinct to make sure Livia isn't actively pursuing Jesse. Jesse/Livia have tension after the kiss. Perhaps Danielle returns and Cassandra hates her defense of Dani's aunt Livia, so Cassandra and Danielle are positioned as rivals as well. Danielle sets her sights on Frankie Hubbard, which Cassandra and Angie don't like AT ALL.

Who knows where it could go from there. But it's sad that TPTB didn't see room for the Hubbards AND the Fryes in Pine Valley, especially since they are both families the audience has had time to invest in over the years.

• Members

The chick playing Randi is better then Darnell lol, but I think Debbie Morgan and Tonya have different acting styles. Tonya is more subtle, but can't knock any script out of the park IMO. Debbie can, but she tends to go way too over the top at times(see her run on Charmed) and that takes away from her performances.

• Members

Darnell Williams and Debbi Morgan are two of the best African-American actors ever on soaps, and for that matter actors period. Tonya Pinkins is a good actress yes, but she's no better than Williams & Morgan. Morgan should win next year's Best Lead Actress Emmy.

BTW, When the job for Police Chief came up it was mentioned that Derek Frye took a position in Los Angeles, not Hawaii. Derek #2 Charles Parnell was horribly mis-cast. The fill-in, Jerome Preston Bates was a much better Derek.

Archived