AMC: Derek Frye

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is a shame Tonya Pinkins isn't on more as Livia. I can't really think of a legit reason why. She's been with AMC for years. She is a powerhouse who needs to be showcased. I'd love to see her and Morgan representing as nominees at the Emmys.

• Members

I call this the Either/Or Plantation.

Conversations usually end up here when people are discussing which minority character to bring back or get rid of. "Bring back Dani. No Reggie!" "Get rid of Frankie! Where's Jamal?" It comes from the unfortunate assumption that there's only room for one.

• Members

Amen!

Now, I'm not saying I want Jamal back (though Marcus Patrick absolutely gives me the vapors), but I definitely see a place for at LEAST Jesse, Angie, Frankie, Cassandra, Livia, Danielle, and Reggie. I think it's a fair representation with plenty of options to pursue. Biggest mistake they made, I thought was letting Reggie slip away.

And I wouldn't MIND Jamal back, I just don't see as much a need on the canvas for him. And Terrence Frye too! He was supposed to become a doctor too, I think!

But Samuel and Dre Woods can take a long walk off a short Pine Valley beach.

• Members

THey actually did say he had left the job ot MOVE to Hawaii, not just visit Dannii there, but yeah I agree with the main stuff said. Still after they recast Derek and had that mess of a reappearance of Mimi it seemed over for the Fryes--in a weird way it's soap poetic justice that The Hubbard's ahve replaced them in a sense, since the Fryes first came in partly to fill the diversity hole left when second Angie wasn't working out on AMC anyway...

I agree that the biggest loss is Livia (is she technically still on the show as recurring?) Her and Tom would be a GREAT tentpole family to build on IMHO--toobad bringing Jamal back was such a wasted opportunity as well. I don't think Tonya P is some amazing actress that Debbi and Darnell aren't--but she IS potentially one of the best actresses on daytime (anyone who's seen her in Broadway shows like Wild Party and especially Caroline, or Change knows that) who is just simply wasted.

Archived