2008 Summer Olympic Games

Toups

• Administrator

The Olympic games are back!

Live results will be discussed in this thread, so for those who will watch the taped events on NBC Primetime, my advice would be to maybe watch the events before coming in here.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sure!

So what events do you guys always look foward to watching? I always try to watch the swimming events, the running events (except the marathons), indoor vollyball (sometimes beach VB though I'm not a big fan of beach VB), basketball, and any event Canada in the finals (yes, even gymnastics! haha).

• Members

I'm pretty much a fan of what you're a fan of Toups (my strange yet obsessive love for everything Candian...except Bryan Adams). I love the gymnastics competitions. When I was younger I tried to imitate what I saw on TV.

I also love the gymnastic dancing they do. That's a fave or mine.

• Members

This is ridiculous....<_<

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/b...i?urn=oly,98718

China revokes visa of gold medalist, Darfur activist Cheek

By Chris Chase

Olympic gold medalist and outspoken Darfur activist Joey Cheek has had his visa revoked by the Chinese embassy, hours before the speedskating champion was set to fly to China. And he wasn't even planning on wearing a mask when he got there.

Chinese officials don't need a reason to revoke anyone's visa but, in their eyes, they had plenty of reasons to snatch Cheek's. He is the founder of Team Darfur, a group of 70 athletes whose goal it is to raise global awareness of the human-rights violations taking part in the Darfur region of Sudan. China's military, economic and diplomatic ties to Sudan have been well-publicized in the lead-up to the Games.

Said Cheek of his ban in a prepared statement:

"I am saddened not to be able to attend the Games. The Olympic Games represent something powerful: that people can come together from around the world and do things that no one thought were possible. However, the denial of my visa is a part of a systemic effort by the Chinese government to coerce and threaten athletes who are speaking out on behalf of the innocent people of Darfur.

Cheek was going to China to support the athletes on Team Darfur -- including soccer player Abby Wambach -- and to promote the cause, one that he has championed for years. After winning gold in the Torino Games, Cheek announced he was donating his $25,000 USOC bonus to Darfur and implored his sponsors to do the same. It seems that Joey Cheek is truly one of the good guys.

And now he's out of China before he even got there. With the Games getting closer (just two days away now), the world seemed ready to forget about all the Chinese issues in order to focus on the Games themselves. Unfortunately, China's actions make that impossible. In a time when we should be wondering who will light the Olympic cauldron, whether Michael Phelps can break an all-time record and how Liu Xiang will react to the pressure of 1.3 billion of his countrymen hanging on his every step, we're instead left to discuss the Chinese government's reluctance to allow any dissension in their country, despite repeated promises that they'd clean up their act when the Olympics came to town.

• Members

Like - I can't stand the Olympics talk any more! The media have been telling the same story about the Games and China for a year and more and I just cannot wait for it all to end!

It's just boring as hell. And annoying. And everywhere. :D

• Members

I love the swimming and I can't wait to see Michael Phelps, Grant Hackett (he is going for 3 1500 gold in a row) and the Aussie girls in action.

I got to see Michael Phelps swim last year at the world championships and he was awesome then.

The part of the opening ceremony that was shown by Koren TV looked awesome. (still have the link if I am allowed to post.)

Here is a link to some photo's that have been taken in the last couple of days to only several hours ago.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/beijing_o...5017127,00.html

• Administrator

Yeah me too, but what can you do. I guess try to avoid the news as much as possible for events you really want to watch.

Just saw the presentation with the "blocks creating symbols" and the sychonizatation and strength of the performers was amazing!

• Members

We get a lot of the stuff live here in Australia.

I stayed up till nearly 2.30 watching the opening ceremony and it was great.

You are right those blocks were great and imagine my shock when I saw that there were people inside of them.

and OMG the way the flame was lit I would have to say it was one of the best ever, but I won't give it away .

I did do some recaps of the opening ceremony here if anyone wants to read http://sonny-and-carly.net/forum/index.php?topic=5634.0 but they really aren't the best.

Archived