2008 Summer Olympic Games

Toups

• Members

Phelps set to become the greatest Olympian in history.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/beijing_o...5014104,00.html

Michael Phelps could become the greatest Olympian today

MICHAEL Phelps is one gold medal away from becoming the greatest Olympic competitor the world has seen.

His amazing world record-breaking victory in the 200m freestyle yesterday brought his career gold medal tally to nine, six in Athens four years ago and three so far in Beijing.

He has now joined the exalted ranks of fellow swimmer Mark Spitz, American sprinter Carl Lewis, Finnish distance great Paavo Nurmi and Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina, who all won nine gold medals, but with five medal events left to swim this week, Phelps seems certain to eclipse them all.

"To be tied for the most Olympic gold with those names, it's a pretty amazing accomplishment," Phelps said.

"I didn't even know it was possible until earlier this year when Bob (Bowman, his coach) told me. Right after the 200m freestyle he goes, "Well, you are tied' and I thought "Oh, that's pretty cool'."

With every race, Phelps eliminates all doubt that he can also reach Spitz's single Games tally of seven gold medals, and this Games will not be the end. He still plans on contesting a fourth Olympics in London in 2012.

Today, he will complete his signature event, the 200m butterfly, in which he has stood undefeated since he took the world record as a 15-year-old in 2001, before combining with his teammates in the 4x200m freestyle relay, for which they are the overwhelming favourites.

Phelps has the air of a man who can do at least five miraculous things before lunchtime without blinking, but his performance yesterday was jaw-dropping even by his standards.

Having broken Ian Thorpe's world record in Melbourne last year, he tore the event apart yesterday, stopping the clock in a phenomenal 1:42.96, taking almost a second from his previous best time of 1:43.86.

Thorpe, whose best was 1:44.06, got out at the right time. Phelps' extraordinary underwater kicking off the walls has given him a weapon against which his competitors appear defenceless.

The Olympic 400m freestyle gold medallist Park Tae-Hwan of South Korea shaped as his nearest challenger yesterday but was blown away in the first 100m. He is the third fastest swimmer in history (1:44.85) after Phelps and Thorpe and yet is not in the race.

But Thorpe does deserve some credit for helping make Phelps into the swimmer he is. The 23-year-old American acknowledged after the race, that being beaten by the Australian in Athens four years ago has driven him.

"Four years ago, I just wanted to race those guys, but I hate to lose and getting third in the 200m freestyle four years ago ... when I lose in circumstances like that it motivates me more to try to swim faster," he said.

"Over the last four years that has made me a better swimmer.

"I think the biggest thing I have been able to improve on has been my underwaters."

Phelps described his underwater streamlining and kicking as "perfect".

"After my first three medal races, I have done everything I wanted to do," he said.

At this stage, Phelps has contested three events for three gold medals and three world records. Arguably the biggest test, beating the French in the 4x100m freestyle relay, is over, although Phelps takes nothing for granted.

"I am not even halfway done yet and I think the most important ones are what's coming up," he said. "I am lucky enough to have a recovery session tonight to catch up. I'll get as much sleep as I can."

He is shovelling in pasta by the bucketload to keep his energy levels up and having daily massages and ice baths to sooth his muscles.

Despite the ecstasy of the improbable American triumph in the 4x100m freestyle relay, Phelps said he had moved on.

"It wasn't easy putting it behind me, with all the emotion that went into that relay, but I had to force myself to put it out of my head," Phelps said. "I have so many races, so much to do in every race, I have to keep 100 per cent focused."

Fellow Olympic gold medallist Aaron Peirsol said it was Phelps' mental strength that separated him from the rest.

"At this level I do believe it is more a mental game than it is anything and it takes a certain amount of guts to do what Michael is doing," Peirsol said.

"He has just pushed us and we have all pushed each other, what Michael is doing is elevating everybody else's performance."

Phelps is taking forward just one lesson from that relay race.

"Jason (Lezak) just proved that anything is possible," Phelps said. "He was a body-length behind the world record-holder with one lap to go in a 100m freestyle race, and he came back and got his hand on the wall first."

So why should winning eight gold medals at one Olympic Games be any less possible?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Swimming results so far.

Women's 200 metre freestyle.

1. Pellegrini (ITL) - New world record

2. Isakovic (SLO)

3. Pang (CHN)

Men's 200 metre butterfly

1. Phelps (USA) - New world record

2. Cseh (HUN)

3. Matsuda ((JPN)

Women's 200 metre individual medley

1. Rice (AUST) - New world record

2. Coventry (ZIM)

3. Coughlin (USA)

Men's 4 x 200 freestyle

1. USA. - New world record

2. Russian Fed

3. Australia.

• Members

Swimming finals for today.

Men's 200 metre breaststroke

Women's 200 metre butterfly

Men's 100 metre freestyle - can they go under 47 seconds. (Me I would be lucky if I have gone 10 metre in that time)

Women's 4 x 200 metre freestyle

No Michael Phleps today.

Other Medal Events.

Canoe/Kayak

Slalom

Men's C2

Women's K1

Archery

Women's individual

Fencing

Women's team sabre

Artistic Gymnastics

Men's individual all round

Judo

Women's 78kg

Men's 100kg

Shooting

Women's 50 metre rifle 3 positions

Women's skeet

• Members

Andrea Joyce is a real piece of work.

She really got silly with that gymnast who fell off the balance beam.

"Excuse me.......how bad do you feel finding out how bad you suck on the world stage?"

I'm just paraphrasing, but, damn.........

• Members

Today's Swimming final's

Women's 200 metre breastroke

Men's 200 metre backstroke

Men's 200 metre individual medley - can Phelps make it 6 from 6 or will Lochte upset the apple cart.

Women's 100 metre freestyle - can Trickett win it from lane 8 like Perkin's did in Atlanta after just scrapping into the 1500 metre final.

Other Medal event's for today.

Athletic's

Men's shot put.

Women's 10,000 metre final

Judo

Men's 100+kg

Women's 78+kg

Shooting

Men's 50 metre rifle prone

Track Cycling

Men's team sprint

Artistic Gymnastics

Women's all-round

Weightlifting

Women's 75kg

• Members

The diet of a champion.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,...5006922,00.html

Swim star Michael Phelps fuelled by 12,000 calorie a day diet

A BREAKFAST of champions is more than just a bowl of Weet-Bix for US swimming superstar Michael Phelps.

The 23-year-old is swimming his way into the record books fuelled by 12,000 calories a day.

That's six times the average calorie intake for a 23-year-old man.

NBC America revealed Phelps starts the day at 5am with three fried egg sandwiches topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayonnaise.

That's followed by a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits (porridge), three slices of French toast with powdered sugar, and three chocolate-chip pancakes, all washed down with two cups of coffee.

By lunchtime though Phelps, who is contesting eight events in Beijing, needs refuelling.

That comes in the form of half a kilo of enriched pasta, two large ham and cheese sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise, and nearly 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Phelps told NBC his competition regime was all about getting "some calories into my system and try to recover the best I can".

After a hard day's slog at the pool Phelps ends his day with another round calorie and carbohydrate loading.

Dinner consists of another half a kilo of pasta followed by an entire pizza and another 1,000 calories of energy drinks.

The massive menu is needed every day to fuel Phelps' five-hour long pool sessions six days a week.

"Eat, sleep and swim. That's all I do," Phelps told NBC.

Phelps, who holds the world records in the 200m freestyle, 200m butterfly and the 200m and 400m individual medleys, will go for gold in the 200m individual medley today.

On the Menu

5.00 am

Three fried egg sandwiches topped with cheese, lettuse, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

Mid morning snack

Five-egg omelette, porridge, three slices of French Toast with sugar, three chocolate ship pancakes and two cups of coffee.

Lunch

Half a kilo of enriched pasta, two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise and almost 4200 kilojoules worth of energy drinks.

Dinner

Another half a kilo of pasta, a whole pizza and another 4200 kilojoules of energy drinks.

Half a kilo = 1.102 pounds.

Archived