Unpopular Opinions

• Members

I absolutely agree that there's a difference between talent and charisma, I say that all the time, but Susan Lucci is a tough one to judge. The fact is, she's never been given the opportunity to play anything but Erica or a variation of the character (there are a couple of minor exceptions). As Erica blew up and Susan's career shot into the stratosphere, I'm sure her time and opportunites to take on an Off-Broadway play for example became limited. Whether it was the networks', her handlers', her Helmut's, or her own decisions, Susan's splashy and lucrative outside projects fed into and fed off of her popularity as Erica. No charming little well-acted plays in the Village that could have possibly won her favorable reviews and added a certain dimension of respect to her acting career. Of course she doesn't need all that, she's rich and famous for what she's famous for, she's good at what she does, but I'm sure it would be nice to have big name directors want you for juicy Sally Field/Sissy Spacek-type roles. Or maybe like Joan Collins she's most happy and comfortable playing that type. At any rate, to me it's more of a "What if?" than a "She was never capable."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So did Don Diamont and Ron Moss but that doesn't make them better actors. Ric Hearst is incredible. The guy has charisma, talent, charm, and sex appeal. Plus, he's such a humble entertainer. Every role he's had received exceptional reviews. The man has you riveted, and whether you like/dislike RH, I don't think you can deny that he has talent.

• Members

I want to agree with that, but I think Lucci, herself, failed to seize the drug addiction storyline if that's the case. That was probably the rawest Erica had ever presently been, and, even though I was only 15/16 years old when that story was played, I still think that she didn't get into it the way another actress might have. I specifically remember when Noah had her in his apartment and she was hallucinating, my mother and I laughing out loud at "I'm slipping! I'm-I'm-I'm slipping!!" I will say that Lucci's portrayal, in my opinion, has become a bit more mellow rather than melodramatic. Yet, I still don't find her to be this strong, dynamic actress. I think her two strengths are playing coy or playing that dry sarcastic wit. Anything else, it's either scenery chewing or unintentional camp. Isn't there some urban legend about the Blue Ribbon panel finding Erica tossing herself on Mona's casket unintentionally funny when Lucci submitted that as part of her reel?

• Members

How many roles has Ric Hearst been fired from?

He was just starting out when he was on DAYS.

He was on GL for 6 years until he chose to leave the show.

His Y&R part was always short-term. If anything they extended his stay when they didn't have to.

B&B never gave him a major role the first time around, and I doubt they will this time around. They spit out talented actors at an alarming rate.

He stayed on GH much longer than most characters in his position would have, because he managed to make viewers sympathize with Ric even as he existed only to act like a sh!theel for 6 years.

• Members

Rick Hearst is what Maurice Benard, Steve Burton and even Tony Geary should be. What is that? It's called a GIFTED ACTOR! He found Ric Lansing within the material he was given. Even when it was the most twisted, WTF kind of material, he found the character he believed Ric was within it and brought THAT out. Seriously. How can you make a character who is about to smother his wife in a hospital bed SYMPATHETIC?! But he did! Rick found the humanity in the character and played that up.

• Members

Is this happening? Are we REALLY debating whether Hogestyn or Hearst are the stronger, more charismatic, more talented actor, and which one can sell a B.S. story more?

Seriously?

It's official. This board has gone to hell.

If I needed a push out, this was definitely it. Wow. Hogestyn v. Hearst.

Just... wow.

• Members

I hardly think my one comment constitutes debating. RH may be a more talented actor, but I think DH has him beat for charisma. This is like when Trekkies will debate who is the better actor, William Shatner or Patrick Stewart. It doesn't matter whether PS is the better actor because WS will outshine him on his worst days without even trying. I personally don't see why RH gets raved about. I have watched him on GH for years and for years I think his scenes have been painfully boring no matter who his co-star was. Conversely, Kin Shriner played a somewhat similar role, but due to a natural comic ability and a little personality to back it up, he makes every scene a winner.

You could take Rick Heart and Sarah Brown and all their combined emmys and you put them in a scene and it's like paint drying. You can take Kin Shriner and Susan Lucci and give them the exact same scene, and you will get all the entertainment any viewer could possibly ask for.

• Members

I absolutely agree as well. Don Diamont may not have been the greatest actor on Earth, but he was perfect for the role of Brad Carlton, being able to pull of sleaze and blind ambition particularly well. And Ross Moss is one of the lowest of the low.

• Members

The problem with RH, and why his roles never last..is because his characters are just unlikeable. The majority of them start out great, but then they become too one note or gimmicky. For example, Whip & Ric, 2 totally different characters but both ended up being a one-trick-pony, Ric became an unlikeable !@#$%^&*], and Whip is a annoying goody-goody.

Its either always nice, or always mean....never a mix of the in between.

• Members

I disagree. Hearst characters ALWAYS work. It's the writers than end up botching them (or not realizing the potential). I love RH because he makes his co-stars step up their game. His scenes with Sabryn Genet were a thing of beauty.

Oh, and I LOVE Billy. He's not ruined at all. IMO Billy and Chloe are the two characters closest to reality. I like that Billy's life is messed up, and their is no clear path for him. That's boring. I also like that he isn't being shoved down our throats anymore.

Archived