Unpopular Opinions

• Members

Ronn Moss is horrible, worse than Drake Hogestyn. Don Diamont was great as sleazy Brad and sleazy Bill. I couldn't stand him as a nice boy in his early Y&R years. I think I hated Brad more than Jack did.

Jess Walton is not Jill to me. I know this sounds crazy and I know she is a great actress and an asset for Y&R, but I have never managed to see her as Jill.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really. The point is both are very limited actors and have been on their shows for decades.

Kin Shriner is AWFUL. He sucked on Y&R (the writing was bad though), but then he was even worse on ATWT. Rick Hearst is definitely one of the top actors working today. Before Hearst/Leblanc used to be my favourites, now it's just Hearst.

• Members

Acting I think is skill like many others, you either use it or lose it. Kristina Wagner was never the world's greatest actress but she was always perfectly acceptable as Felicia and then her last visit was just off. Jackie Zeman used to handle the most dramatic material possible, and now all she seems capable of is reciting dialogue in a childlike voice.

• Members

I liked Kin Shriner when he was on PC, and his earlier work on GH. I think he just stopped caring after the return to GH and his character was butchered.

In the past I did think a number of GH vets were highly overrated, especially Tony Geary and Genie Francis. Looking back, Genie had some powerful moments, but I've never cared about Geary.

I also thought Jonathan Jackson was overrated. And Tyler Christopher. The best thing he had going for him was that body, which he has now covered in ugly tats.

• Members

I think there's a difference between actors who simply choose not to really show up for their material just because they want something different, and those who have become so ground down by years of stale writing that they no longer muster the enthusiasm to transcend said writing. Ric Hearst is a very capable performer. He's proven it time and again. But I have some sympathy for those performers I know are capable of delivering solid material when it seems they finally reach a point where they feel like it just doesn't matter anymore. No matter how many times they spin ish into gold, they just continue to get more ish shoveled at them. That would be very demoralizing.

• Members

I thought Jonathan Jackson was good but he definitely tried to ape his idol Christian Slater, especially vocally, that higher octave Jack Nicholson-type voice. He and the redhead who used to play Michael would do this "I'm trying to sound natural and talk like a real person with odd inflections and drawn out words and pauses" thing which had the opposite affect on me.

• Members

I know exactly what you're saying. I detest actors who employ artificial naturalism into their line readings -- because it's clearly not organic. It's forced and it makes it look like they don't know their damn lines -- not as if they're just soooooo in tune with the material that it's real to them and their portrayal of their character.

Archived