Unpopular Opinions

• Members
Alot of people bitched about her and Megan McTavish's GH, but at least I can credit them with not making every single thing revolve around the mob.

JFP is a great technical producer who needs to be on a show where her story approval and iron fist can be greatly utilized and appreciated. Chris Engen would have been scared sh!tless to ask out of his contract under JFP.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JFP is usually only as strong as the person who is writing with her. The OLTL years were a primary example.

So far Y&R seems to have inherited Rauch's lesser qualities and few of his strengths. I wouldn't be that bothered if JFP replaced him.

• Members

Unpopular opinion by threads on the board - can all shows either have weekly or monthly threads? It gets messy then some shows like AMC had a daily thread with like 10 posts in it when it could be a weekly thread.

• Members

Looking back, GL was just as smoothly produced as Y&R is today. The music cues were precise, (although the scores themselves were blah)the sets were huge and showed depth to them, and the direction pretty flawless. I'm trying to figure out why I hated his tenure today so much production wise, and it's probably due to the fact that it was later in his tenure, around 2001 and 2002 that the lighting really sucked for the show. 1997-2000 the lighting and the production quality seems flawless.

• Members

Rauch's lighting is just shitastic, and thankfully, he didn't bring that with him to Y&R. He lights his shows as if they take place on the Sun. It's totally not flattering on the actors, especially those who are older and weight more.

I thought GL was must better produced in terms of its aesthetics during the JFP years. JFP's good attributes seem to be overshadowed by her controversial nature. She's a gifted technical producer, and the directing, sets, music, and overall look of her shows tend to improve dramatically when she joins. Especially the directing, Jill has a MFA in directing from Carnegie Mellon, and you definitely see improvement in the directing of her soaps when she joins them. Nancy Curlee said Jill was one of the most talented technical directors she's ever worked with.

• Members

I seem to remember everything on GL at this time being VERY BRIGHT and everything being VERY BIG, as if the cast was shrinking in height. Big courtroom set, big updated version of the diner (which was burnt down within a few years anyway) I also remember very overwrought attempts at clothing like Beth, in her days as a spoiler for Phillip/Harley, dressing like she was going to have tea with the Queen, and sequences where Dinah, Beth, and Annie would all dress in tight black outfits to remind us of how wicked they were. I think they didn't have the budget for the opulence Rauch would have preferred.

I'm not good at picking out good production values but Rauch's Y&R hasn't made me take notice. The only time I notice them is when I wonder why someone who is so obsessed with blondes has done nothing to make Sharon and Amber look less horrible.

• Members

Was it Rauch or Conboy who had Patricia Field design costumes? I still have this awful memory of that Lizzie who bellowed at people all the time (I think she was Julia Barr's daughter) wearing some very garish tartan skirt.

I also remember during Reva's trial for killing Annie's fetus, poor Liz Keifer had to wear this poofy white flared (?) jumpsuit with, I think, black accents. She looked like a middle-aged country singer. Haven Hamilton's long lost daughter.

• Members

I think that's it, the lighting at times could be horrible, but the sets they at times made you take a second look because they were big and some of them were updated from before.

One example would the firehouse:

I will say that even though I despised the storyline, Rauch and the directors really did a good job with the San Cristibel location shots.

IA about your comments about Sharon and Amber on Y&R.

Archived