B&B: Suggestions For Reviving The Ratings

• Members

1. Put Susan Flannery back in a major SL

2. Reduce the focus on Katie and Donna, indeed a lot less of the Logans in general, with the exception of Brooke

3. Brooke/Ridge remarry and they start up their own company or take over Forrester

4. Give Felicia, Thorne, Clarke, Jackie and Pam much more airtime

5. Bring back Deacon, either rehire Sean Kanan or recast the character

6. Hang on to Brandon Beemer, Owen has a lot of potential to be a bad boy, maybe pair him with Felicia instead of Donna?

7. Return the focus to the fashion business, fashion houses going to war with each other etc.

8. Enough with the depressing deaths and medical stuff, more fun romance, sex and scandal is required!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree. The actress wants to retire. The other day she was visibly limping. She needs to go. One reason B&B is in deep doo doo right now is because they over-relied on her, and they don't have a viable "second string". Your solution is a short term fix for an actress who is halfway out the door. I say "take the hit", and rebuild.

Brooks is played, Evan. Tired. Not much left. This show needs a viable younger generation more than anything, and Brooke SHOULD be the new Stephanie. Except--and I LOVE her--KKL doesn't have it in her to be the evil, bitter, dried out matriarch. So, I don't actually see what her future focus is. I really think she's done.

They did this before. It didn't work. Ridge is one of the most universally reviled characters on daytime. I don't think he has a single supporter. Does he? Ridge needs to leave with Stephanie. OR...Moss _does_ play nasty well. Remarkably well. I think HE could be the next Stephanie, quite frankly. (Not quite as nuanced, but he can be evil). In that scenario, Brooke becomes the next Eric. I can live with that...we see her one day a week, hopefully in a bathing suit.

Maybe later, she becomes Mrs. Robinson, lusting after some young dude. But I don't see much of a future for my once beloved Brooke.

Leslie Kay is even more viable as next-Stephanie, but she doesn't have a big enough family or history. Maybe if she marries a man with five kids...SERIOUSLY. That could rebuild the show...and I'd buy that.

But your list is all "old people". I'm old too...but your list reaches into a faded past, and it doesn't build a future. And B&B, more than any other show on daytime, needs a viable next generation. They have failed for 15 years to build a viable next generation, and sent away or lost the only viable younger performers they ever had (Kanan, Frantz, and Finnegan).

Yes!!!!!!!

I love Beemer. He should have been Thomas because HE IS the next Ridge. I don't expect a lot of acting out of him, but as the wooden adonis around whom all the women flock and for whom all the women ruin their lives...classic B&B formula...that could have worked. Why oh why is he not Thomas????

Total agreement on these last two. To do this right, I think we need to rebuild the house of Spectra. All the pieces are in place for that (Jackie, Clarke). I don't know why Brad isn't using this.

• Members

They need to do more Fashion stuff. Stop showing Katie everyday. Not only stop showing her everyday but also stop making a whole eppy about her. Twoshows was just about her. It was sooooo boring. I like Marcus but I don't want to see him everyday

• Members

Why B&B has steered so far away from the fashion stuff in favor of the kind of sleaze that was prominent on a show like Melrose Place I'll never know. All of the glamour, along with the scheming and warring of the fashion business definitely needs to be front and center again. Jackie really should be written as the Alexis Colby of the show (she already has that Alexis accent) building Spectra Fashions and scheming to bring down Forrester Creations.

• Members

I think the only suggestion I have is for Bradley Bell to relinquish the HW'ing responsibilities to someone (Patrick Mulcahey?) who might know how to tell a long-term story, and then concentrate on EP'ing the show (and maybe Y&R, too).

• Members

I think refocusing the show on FASHION is the biggest key to ratings success. Lesley Anne Down and Dan McVicar are being totally wasted when they should be front burner in a fashion rivalry storyline. It's just ridiculous that Spectra hasn't been revisited since Stephanie's shooting.

Additionally, it seems that it is time for Stephanie to pass the torch to Brooke when it comes to being the matriarch. I think that Katherine Kelly Lang CAN be the new Stephanie, if written for properly she's a terrific actress.

• Members

I think you've got to dial back on the Logan drama. I understand a new generation has to take up the story, and creating a Felicia/Donna rivalry isn't a bad idea. The problem is, it's coming out of nowhere. If Stephanie's not around, then rev up the Brooke/Taylor rivalry and don't make it over Ridge/Nick. The show seems completely rudderless without either historic rivalry of Brooke's being played.

• Members

:P That is precisely the problem: they couldn't handle the camp. It would all be very, very silly. With Anne Down you have a constant feeling she is lost in a scene, as if she's telling you "what am I doing here?" Then add that terrrrible, awful, bad, squeaky British accent and you get one terribly disappointing performance. I like the woman, I really do, but... The character is being drowned in her acting.

And the stories she got over the years made her a pathetic woman, who always let the "higher power" decide her fate.

• Members

Well, thought I don't think she (or a Spectra story) have been given a fair shake, I would not miss her.

I've gone on record as saying my secret fantasy is that Judith Chapman comes to this show as Gloria and takes over a downtrodden Spectra. THAT would be a return to classic storytelling. Judith FITS on this canvas.

Archived