OLTL:All of this EP talk

• Members

I don't care for him, and I will never forgive him for saying the whole Dorian/Viki/Clint story was 'fun' because it was not fun for me and I hated every single second of it. I used to have a lot of respect for the man but the way he allowed DH to gut the show was deplorable.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, in the past year alone we've had countless quality location shoots, some with very complex special effects, several musical guests and high profile return after high profile return. So I'd say that he's a good EP. What he lacks in creative vision he makes up for in aesthetic.

• Members

IMO, it's the creative vision, and not the aesthetic, that counts. All the location shoots, special effects and high-profile returns in the world don't matter if the EP cannot draw the best performances out of his cast. Time and time again, RC has handed the OLTL cast good, if not great, material, but at no time do I feel as if FV really worked with them to take their performances, and RC's stories, to that next level.

• Members

What does creative vision actually mean? It's not EP's role to direct your actors in every single episode. If they need to be told how to act, then they should consider changing careers.

And P. S. I don't like Frank Valentini.

• Members

Say what you want about Frank, but he's been able to make OLTL pale in comparision compared to what their budget must be like. Sure some of the sets might be unflattering per se, but they're spacious. Sure some of the sets might be unflattering, but when GL was running on a small budget, it showed on screen with small sets and weak production. Some days, OLTL has good production, some days it doesn't.

Still, I agree with those that think that OLTL would be miles better if FV left the position as EP. I do think he's riding the coat tails of RC's success, and it's his choices as a EP that seems to pull down RC's vision. I think with RC as HW, OLTL would flourish with an producer like Ed Scott, Felicia Minei Behr, or even Wendy Riche.

FV isn't a visionary either. His casting choices sometimes are very disappointing, the lighting and much of the new sets created under him (Angel Square Hotel as a whole, Todd's new place) leaves alot to be desired.

• Members

Then you must hate Ed Scott, because this is the most common comment people make about him on both Y&R and DOOL. He watches every scene and gives the actors detailed performance notes. He tells the actors how to act.

• Members

IMO, if you're hired to act, you need to do your job and it's up to the directors to help you, not the EP.

The EP has to oversee the entire production, he/she isn't supposed to be there to hold the actor's hand. I don't think that's what Ed Scott does either. I think he only gives training during important episodes/events.

EP's oversee everything from makeup and hair down to casting. Sure they have associates, but mostly everything has to go through them first.

• Members

Yes Valentini does direct, so I wouldn't have a problem with him giving notes when he is in that chair.

Even though Mikey Jerome won Soap Star which was crazy, I don't fully blame Frank. The judges should have gotten rid of him weeks earlier...and he was down to the choice of Mikey or Kelly (I think that was her name) and if he saw any of the Kelly footage he may have been scared of her. Beth Ann was out, so Frank couldn't choose her to win.

Archived