OLTL:All of this EP talk

• Members

A good amount of EP's have directing experience, I've noticed. There, Valentini, Chris Goutman, Ellen Wheeler (yuck!), and I know Jill Farren Phelps has an MFA in directing, though she's never directed an episode of a soap. Former Y&R EP, David Shaughnessy, has also directed and directs for B&B.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you have lost me too on this one :lol: :lol: Frank does direct some episodes. He and the cast have talked about it. He certainly is not a full-time director and I do not get the impression that he directs a lot of the time. He, however, does elect to direct some episodes that are of particular interest to him.

I doubt it involves a great deal of time on his part B)

I do not think that is too unusual. It seems other EPs sometime get involved in the writing of a particular episode or story.

This is unrelated to Sylph's post, but Frankie and the casting director were very much involved in the Mikey Jerome selection. Others on the panel commented that they deferred to Frankie and the OLTL person in the end. Both of them thought he was charming. It's another example of why I think Frank is so weak. It is just like he is with his writers. He makes a dud decision then hides from it and never accepts responsibility. He was all about how great Malone was as a writer, and was singing Dena's praises until they bombed. Frankie then is leading the protest parade abut them. Look at actors, he was the guy who played Vincent's biggest cheerleader. He bragged about finding him and taking his time developing him as a character. Vincent bombed as a character and Frankie was off him like an old shirt.

• Members

From my understanding, it's usually the lower-level producers that deal with the actors and helps "coach" them before they tape big scenes.

I recall seeing this structure on GH, in that Positive: A Journey Into AIDS (ABC Afterschool Specials) documentary. Wendy Riche would be the one behind the scenes handling the creative vision of the show and making other decisions, while Francesca James at the time was working with the actors and telling them how they should feel and act in certain scenes, I know Shelly Curtis had the same role on GH in the 90's as well.

Even at Y&R during Ed Scott's time, David Shaughnessy worked a lot with the actors, despite Ed giving "notes."

• Administrator

Yup. :) He is the best technical EP in soaps. The DAYS are liking the input especially after how Stephen Wyman (and I think Tom Langan too) rarely gave any input or help.

re: the DAYS actors.

• Members

I am so embarrassed. I feel really chastised. And confused.

I am guessing you're telling me when he's the EP he's the EP. And when he's directing, he's the director. I find it hard to believe he can traverse between those roles. Just me.

• Members

This is what I tried to say yesterday.

Regardless of who is directing, on both Y&R and Days, Ed Scott actively gets down on the floor and talks through performances with the actors. I've read that at least 10 times in the last decade or more.

And, ON BOTH SHOWS, the actors love it. And, ON BOTH SHOWS, the audience has noted heightened performances when he gets involved.

As others here have mentioned, he ALSO has improved Days technically.

So, Ed is the kind of polymath who keeps his hands on everything, and everything he touches improves.

I don't believe in tight descriptions of roles. If Ed makes the show better, and keeps a solid "throughline" of performance and production style ...to keep consistency across various directors and writers and what have you...how is this a problem?

• Members

I think production styles vary for soap to soap, and it's very different on primetime shows.

Certain EP's like Ed Scott, David Shaughnessy, and Jill Farren Phelps are known for giving direction to their actors. I've heard several actors on Y&R, GH, and DAYS say these people speak to them from the "booth" while a show is being taped.

On other soaps, lower level producers give direction, along with the directors. I mentioned Shelley Curtis and Francesca James at GH in the 90's, and Anthony Morina works with the actors on Y&R at the moment, he gives them direction along with the directors. Kristoff St. John mentioned this in his recent Emmy speech when he talked about Morina in the booth helping him and the rest of the actors.

Archived