Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

It was forgotten about - literally dropped from the writer's minds. I think the last we saw of Abi, was when Nathan threatened her with his assumption that she was shagging Ryan. After that, she was never seen again. And Ryan forgot she existed.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No big surprise there, then. This means that everyone associated with the Wyldes will now be gone... except for Declan.

Even though day-to-day episodes are OK, there really isn't much going on, with a lot of stories that don't seem to have much impact, while several characters are pointless, or are not doing much of anything. The Henshall thing is seriously clichéd; the Alicia/Justin custody battle has gone nowhere; the Barton drug story petered out on a whimper; Lisa's rape started off well, but has developed into nothing; this Cain/Charity/Jai story has been dragged out with little movement, fizzing-out along the way - I can't believe this is the story they wanted to tell a year ago, but shelved due to Charlie Webb's maternity leave; why was Debbie needed so badly that they couldn't use any of her initial scenes off screen? She's not done anything! And that fire was the worst blaze out of all the soaps I watch - even Neighbours did a better job!

I don't no if all this mediocrity is down to GB's death, but something needs changing fast.

• Members

This was predicted for a while, and the show has never really used Sutton. I think that Blyth was happy to have him because he was a Hollyoaks name - and I do think this probably did help bring new and younger viewers to Emmerdale - but that he had no idea what to do with Ryan. All logical stories for Ryan ended when they killed Mark off. I don't believe that it is down to wooden acting, that's not exactly tough to find in starring roles on any soap. I think they just lost all momentum for this story a long time ago.

I wonder how much longer Declan will be around. They rewrote his personality to bring in his family, a forgettable daughter and a horrible wife and father. None of them serve any purpose other than to point out that Home Farm has become a dinosaur.

I struggled to emotionally connect with Emmerdale during Blyth's time as producer and I think that now the bottom has fallen out because the stories he produced - which generally had good moments in the short term but no real long-term planning - have faded, with nothing to replace them. I really would love to know the idea behind the Katie and the evil cop storyline. Everything about it has baffled me. Giving such a story to mediocre actors, making it so obvious, killing off core characters and then shrugging at their deaths, and finishing with what will probably be a whimper. How many times has Katie had this story and I still don't buy it.

• Members

I also have to say how entertaining some of the "please he can't go back to Hollyoaks that would ruin JP/Craig forever" stuff is. I have loved some soap couples, although it seems like a long time ago now, so I guess I can understand that, but to me that dud reunion and the way Craig behaved during the affair were more damaging than any offscreen breakup could be. I don't know if James Sutton would even go back to Hollyoaks if asked, although I doubt they will ask him. I wouldn't mind seeing the old, fun JP again, with the twinkle in his eye, especially if he replaces Bart, the world's oldest teenager who has ZERO connection with the McQueens, but considering Mandy's disastrous and Lee's forgettable return, it might not be for the best. I do hope he goes on something which involves nudity...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know why but I really enjoyed today's episode.

Poor Nikhil. :( He and Gennie, I hope they go there. I think today was a chem test, LoL

This amnesia story is actually pretty interesting too.

And the Rhona triad didn't annoy me today, but that's probably only because Paddy and Marlon barely had any lines.

• Members

I haven't watched much of Let's Dance for Comic Relief this year (the first week was so flat) but apparently Emmerdale daddy James Thornton was a viewer favorite with his tap dance routine with friend Charlie Baker. They and the judges usually only support comedians who try to be daring by dressing in drag (which was daring...fifty years ago) and has-beens/zelebrities, so for the viewers to vote for this shows how much appeal he has. Too bad Emmerdale would rather waste him as they waste anyone with talent or charisma.