Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just going over past clips of Emmerdale and one was all about villians.

Emmerdale have had their great share of Vixens on the show

Kim Tate

Sadie King

Sally Spoode

Steph Turner (unsure on second name)

as well as good villians

Matthew King

Shane Doyle (Man i wish he was on longer)

For me Kim Tate is the best villian ever in Emmerdale.

• Members

If you're counting Andy and Daz, then there are one or two other Sugdens by adoption or semi-adoption. Sandie Merrick, half-sister to Jack's son Jackie and to Robert, is still alive, she left town in 1988 when the show started dumping longtime characters to bring in the Tates. Eric Pollard's first stories were about clashing with her.

Matt Skilbeck, a Sugden by marriage, is still alive, and he has a son, Sam, by his second wife Dolly who is still alive.

They made a big mistake killing off so many Sugdens.

If it were me I would reveal that Matt and Peggy's twins weren't actually killed (their deaths weren't shown oncamera, it was all in some other town), and just say that Matt's relatives hid them or something. Have them return to stake a claim on the farm, what they see as theirs.

• Members

Has any other main family like the Sugden's been so nonchalantly decimated in soaps before? Maybe the Matthews from AW?

I'd probably end up bringing all those people you mentioned back. Maybe Sandie has a kid or two. Though for ethnic purposes I'd make them black or Asian.

I love the twin idea as well.

To make room get rid of all the old people dead weight they never use (sorry, I'm heartless).

Edna's death could be the thing that turns Eve into an unapologetic bitch on wheels. Then, her and Nathan might make a nasty/hot/fun pair.

Edited by Amello

• Members

The only other one that comes close is the Barlows on Coronation Street.

In the long run it was just very poor writing over a process of many years. They killed off one Sugden after another (Peggy, her kids), then they stopped for about 15 years, started again (with Jack's son Jackie), stopped again briefly, started up again (Joe's stepson, Joe, Joe's stepdaughter). They basically let the entire family rest on Jack's shoulders, not ever realizing that Jack might not be around forever.

They could still bring in some new Sugdens, I think it would be worth it, but I guess they decided to just usher in a new family instead. I can't blame them.

• Members

I think Edna is a good character, I'd rather she stay around. Most of the older characters on the show at the moment seem stalled for storylines but they have some value. I think if I were going to write out any older characters for story potential it would be Sandy.

• Members

The same reason Corrie and Eastenders had poor ratings (those ratings were actually closer than EE and Emmerdale usually are). There were less people watching TV. The share for Emmerdale was about the same as it usually is, or slightly better.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Emmerdale logged its lowest ratings of the year last Friday too (before this Friday's ratings), do people avoid this show on Friday's? Corrie and EastEnders were down, but not by much than they were typically, and the EastEnder's repeat on BBC3 got massive ratings compared to the Emmerdale repeat on ITV2.

That 7.30pm ratings figures for Corrie was horrific too, but the 8.30 showing had a solid figure.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner