EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Such a dark, creepy death for Roxy and Ronnie. Props to Eastenders in that it was an original way to kill Ronnie off - there's something poetic about her wedding dress weighing her down to her death. 

The Mitchell sisters did bring one great element to the show - their mother, Glenda Mitchell, played by the fabulous Glynis Barber. I was glad to see her in the episode, but then I do so enjoy a character like Glenda...I recall a scene from a year or so ago when she took a little bit of money out of Ronnie's purse...so awful and naughty and bitchy. Glynis plays it so perfectly. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Perry Fenwick is one of the show's finest actors. There's a reason why so many producers have been reluctant about letting him go. 

As for Jack, there are some rumors he will be gone within a few months. 

I haven't watched the episode yet, but this was leaked months ago (not the show's fault), so it blunted some of the impact. Lately I've found the show very overproduced (which seems to be a continual problem with Eastenders in recent years) - repetition to no end, using music when it isn't needed, pointless narration, etc. I hope that won't happen in this episode too. 

• Members

Honestly, out of the 2 sister, Roxy needed to meet her demise the most. I would've been fine with Ronnie surviving and going into a coma or some sh-t, but Roxy had to go. Roxy has literally had the same 2-3 stories since 2007. She's either sleeping with someone corrupt, or high off something. It was getting old for me. Her living over Ronnie would've pissed me off if there had to be a choice. I do agree that Ben & Jay need to drive story of the Mitchell clan now. Louise, on the other hand, I'd prefer to see the backside of her. 

When it comes to Jack, I don't care for him either. I've always expressed my disdain for him. However, I think he has been spared b/c SOC might take him in another direction, which is fine with me. As long as Jack is doing something other than breeding, being hypocritical, and scolding women (or Max), I'll be fine with it. It might be a great change to see him play a widower. With Billy, I don't mind him. He plays a great role as a supporting character to larger characters, and he doesn't suck up airtime. Plus, I love his relationship with Jay. Jay is his saving grace (with me that is). 

I agree that EE is ahead of Corrie at the moment as TPTB are taking risks and cleaning house. Corrie is in desperate need of getting rid of most of their cast. Kate Oates (or whomever) needs to get on it b/c Corrie is straight lagging in everything. 

• Members

I finally watched earlier - the Ronnie and Roxy material was the strongest it's been in a long time. Rita Symons was superb at showing all of Roxy's self-hatred and how broken she is. Sam Womack finally woke up and acted again. Rita and Sam are very close and you could see it in this episode. The fragile reconciliation with Glenda ( @DaytimeFan I too will miss her a great deal - Glynis has always shone in a role that sometimes didn't warrant the effort...still odd to think she mostly got it because poor Jill Gascoyne had dementia, as she is a perfect fit for Glenda) and the fun party scenes all led up to the last. Ronnie's death was traumatizing beyond belief - more than almost anything I've seen on a soap in ages. Probably Sarah on Hollyoaks. Maybe Gennie on Emmerdale. 

The Lee and Mick scenes were poor, frankly not that well-acted, and felt out of place. 

Anyway, some very brief upcoming scenes, including the arrival of a certain Mrs. Fox.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/eastenders/news/a818035/eastenders-5-new-spoilers-after-ronnie-roxy-mitchell-deaths/

• Members

I was shocked beyond belief. It was obvious something would happen as soon as the party scenes started but BOTH? Never would have expected that. It was definitely the most shocking moment EE has done in ages, actually I think it was almost in the same league as some GOT moments, and I wish shows like Hollyoaks would do better with their monthly deaths, although I guess Joe's was a bit out of the blue. One thing though is honestly I am not looking forward to weeks of mourning on the show.

• Members

Honey is his saving grace for me. I still think he should go though, the character adds nothing for me. Michelle showed a lot more spark today. I have a feeling she might turn out alright after all. Difficult to tell with re-casts in the first 6 months or so. Her stories are what I'm most looking forward to at the moment. Interesting interview with SOC on DS.

• Members

I clearly don't keep up like I should with HO at the moment but they finally offed Joe? Thank god because that go around with him and Mercedes and throwing Joanne in there was tired as hell. I liked him though but he would go months without anything.

• Members

Remind me where you can watch these in full or circumvent the iPlayer? I'm curious to see more of FakeMichelle and the aftermath of the drowning. I never stick with EE these days as they've killed or tormented too many people I care about and it's so grindingly numbing (why are all Ian and Phil's sons insane, criminals or never accepted? Did the last gay crazy son leave yet? Stephen?) but I do love when they do well, and the new producer does seem committed to, well, something.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Here's tonight's episode, @Vee. Just subscribe to this YT channel as they usually post the episodes the day of.

I really love how Max stepped up for Max tonight. 

My primary gripe tonight is that we didn't see the news be directly delivered to anyone or their reactions. I would've preferred to see some people's reactions. 

I didn't understand Max taking the cocaine from Roxy's purse as Roxy was a damn coke whore. She consumed some the night of the hen party. Some substance was gonna be in her system regardless as it takes 30+ days for that mess to come out your system. I guess he was protecting her image and memory, but whatever...

Lee and Mick are stupid. I'm over Mick blaming his kids for his shortcomings. I'll be glad when Lee leaves and hopefully Johnny exits soon after. And can someone plz get Mick's ass from out of the Queen Vic?! That family fu-king sucks as occupants of the Queen Vic. 

• Members

It is deeply surreal seeing Kathy Beale back behind the counter. To say nothing of NuMichelle and NuMartin. I'm not complaining as I love those characters, but it's definitely strange. Isn't James Alexandrou actually having a pretty busy career?

Also, why do I feel like they brought back Michelle to kill her off? I did find it weird seeing her forcing a domestic scene, but granted I haven't watched a lot of the old Michelle stuff in many years.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think he is. If I am not mistaken, he is doing a lot of theatre and independent films. 

James Bye has actually won me over as Martin even though Martin annoys the hell out of me as of late. I think nuMichelle is OK thus far. I just wish she didn't have to return home with some secret. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I have no problem with NuMartin, actually. I've seen him before but this sold him instantly. NuMichelle seems a bit too old and placid to me, and again I suspect she is doomed. But I'll give her a chance.

Is Ben out once and for all yet or is he still rehashing the same storyline he's had with his father for years?