EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

They kept it from her as the relationship ended with the pregnancy reveal. I hope Denise tells her - Denise would do that and I want to see her smirk fall. I love Bonnie Langford but I just can't stand anything about Carmel. Kush was better as a solo character. 

I'm so disappointed with how they've handled the Lee story and so much with the Carters as of late. And Whitney looks just awful in this story as she has done everything but mount Mick while he's sleeping. 

I was actually happy about yesterday's episode because I genuinely thought that the baby was going to be adopted, but apparently some soap person is saying no, it won't happen. Of course we need to make sure child abuser Phil gets one more kid to damage.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ugh! No! Why must the writers reward Phil and expose another poor child to him?! I feel like it would've been so much more powerful had Phil just did the adult thing for once. If they wanna prolong this story and still have Phil come to the conclusion that he isn't suitable, fine. However, giving Phil a child to raise is ludicrous. Plus, what court would reward Phil custody given his long ass history along with him housing a bunch of people sketchy pasts too? 

I just wish they'd send Lee off already. They aren't even trying with him. As I've said before, the story is more about Mick moping about the absence of Linda instead of Lee's depression. This story has been piss poor when it could've been so much more. DannyBoy Hatchard deserved so much better. I agree that they are writing Whitney like she's about to mount Mick at any second. I doubt it'll happen as Danny Dyer said to the press a long time ago that he supposedly told TPTB that he doesn't want Mick to cheat as that isn't in his character. 

Please register in order to view this content

I hate when actors dictate story. I hope O'Connor makes him bed Whitney just b/c he said that mess. 

I hope Denise grins in Carmel's face too when it comes out. Carmel is just trash. That whole family can pack up and go at this point. Kush should've remained a solo character like you said. Expanding his family has hurt him.

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised by last night's episode as we got multiple scenes showing her talking about why she put the baby up for adoption and characters actually listened to her, for the most part. I was annoyed by Carmel making it all about herself (as usual) and by Shirley's pathetic line that this was so hard for Phil, he wouldn't do this (obviously setup for his upcoming child stealing...), but the rest was OK. Her scenes with Libby were some of the best she's had in a long time, and easily Libby's best as a character.

Please register in order to view this content

She's only been on a few times but Denise's mother doesn't do much for me. She seems oddly low-energy and detached from everything. No wonder she never showed up. 

• Members

Ugh! No! We already have enough doom & gloom already. Does everyone have to leave this show in a body bag? I'm getting to the point where maybe EE needs another regime change b/c this sh-t is getting out of hand. 

Denise's mother is OK, but I don't think she was needed for this story. She's been absent all this time, why now must she come and insert herself in something this major? Yeah, they should've left her gone. 

• Members

Wouldn't they have set up some of those potential casualties a bit more? They've barely been seen of late.

And yeah, while on the one hand it's a good idea for a stunt, the thing is what I said a few weeks back - even when it is often very well-acted, produced and often written (IMO) the show gets so grindingly dark or cynical about hope and things become monotonous. The Mitchell sisters die a horrible, immediately legendary death; Danny Dyer calls his deeply depressed son a failure while raising a banner for East End masculinity; Michelle is outed as Mary Kay LeTourneau; a horrible auto accident mows down a ton of people. This is all in the last month or less. Does it really need to be that dark? Even Guza's GH would be like 'whoa, pull back.'

Edited by Vee

• Members

I guess Sean O'Connor doesn't care. I wanted him to get rid of characters, but he is getting rid of the wrong ones. I was with him in sacking Ronnie and Roxy. But possibly Jay and Libby? Why? Libby isn't even full-term. She's freaking recurring. 

I just find the characters that this tragedy might occur to is a poor choice of people to select. Poor Lee is already depressed. Why kill him? It'd be more poignant for him to just leave and go seek help elsewhere to better himself. Poor Jay (if true) is never thrown a bone. Last year, he hardly had any story and the one major story he had, he was pegged as a child molester. Libby had an abortion last year (much to the chagrin of Denise), and she IS the one character that has left the Square to attain a higher education. Why possibly kill her?

Again, Babe can die. That character never interested me. 

There is no light moments on the canvas at the moment and this potential tragedy will make it worse. Plus, I don't see how any of these deaths will affect the canvas long-term. 

• Members

If it's Libby it will likely be for Denise to keep the baby. If it's Jay, the same reason for Phil (some say it would be angst for Ben but he and Jay barely speak now). I've also heard spec it might be Sylvie, as she is barely a character and her story seems over. 

The show mostly just slogs along these days until these "moments." The Lee one is the one that really disappoints me because it tells viewers if they are suicidal, their family will shame them and they can't get any help. The worst part of all the depressing material is the show doesn't have the weight to make it work. There's no grit or heart. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Again, the way they've handled Lee's story has been piss poor. It's been more about Mick than it has been about Lee. As someone who has dealt with depression, the show's message is a mess. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big backlash. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Lee is killed there will be. 

I think had DTC stayed as EP, he would've killed or written off Jay. It was obvious under his reign that he had no interest in Jay at all.