EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tony groomed Whitney from age 12.

I don't think the writers have come from the angle that it happened to her with Den so she's doing it now, I think it's more a case of Michelle goes from one car crash to another. She's never satisfied with what she's got, she always thinks the grass is greener on the other side. From what I know about her it seems in character.

Perhaps I'm looking at it differently as a British person, as the age of consent here is 16, but I think this is a great storyline. I think it was a bit far the comment 'if it was a bloke it would be different', not really it would still be frowned upon.

Michelle is a compelling character at the moment, the actress has done so well, and she's the best thing about the show. They've been so brave doing this. Of course it's a bit wrong that she has been with a 17 year old, but the storyline definitely has mileage. Cue 18 year old American boy turning up in a year looking for Michelle. Or at least I really hope an American (or at least acting American).

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

It's not in character for Michelle. She was a very intelligent, driven person. She wasn't self-destructive or deluded. The main comparison they tried to throw in was her marriage to Lofty, but she only married him because she felt pressure to give her baby a father. She appreciated his kindness to her, but it also stifled her. She never loved him, and she was always reluctant about the idea of starting a family with him. When she got pregnant with his child it was the last thing she ever wanted - a girl of about 18, with two small children, no education, a needy husband by her side for all eternity. She had an abortion as a result. 

That is a world away from Michelle spending a year or more playing games with a 16-year old and planning to run away with him, all because her husband wouldn't have sex with her and she felt old and fat. Her behavior is very dangerous and disgusting, and was basically excused with a naughty wink.

Can you imagine if Martin was upset about Stacey not giving him sex, and seduced Louise, building up a relationship for a year and planning to run away for a year until the Mitchells found out? Then when it's time for aftermath, it's resolved by his telling Michelle he feels fat and lonely, and Michelle gives him a cheeky smile over how dirty he is?

It would never happen. Yet that is what the show has done here. I find it shocking. 

• Members

The difference of course being that Louise is 14. I do think it's shocking, and I think perhaps it would have been better if the writers had made him 17 when Michelle got involved with him, now being 18. I don't think it makes her a pedophile though, but she did the wrong thing, especially as he was her student.

It seems pretty self destructive that she slept with Den when she was ?? 17, or was it written that he forced her?

• Members

Thank you for summing it up perfectly. 

@Edward Skylover, what Tony did with Whitney is no different than what Michelle is doing now. She preyed on a minor. What's worse is that Michelle is a legacy character we have ties too. Tony wasn't. Furthermore, as @DRW50 pointed out, it is out of character for Michelle and it doesn't help that the writers don't seem to make the situation seem serious. They are making light out of the situation and isn't even cute. 

This story is horrid. IMO, Michelle didn't need a secret to return to the Square. She had one on Mark. They should've just had her return to receive grief from the Mitchell family from keeping Mark from them.

He practically seduced/groomed her like any other old chap would with an underaged girl. Michelle was never a self destructive character. Sharon occupied that role. 

• Members

Wasn't she 16? Therefore she wasn't underage here. Not that that makes it ok.

Sharon's response to what Michelle has done is surprising but I don't think the show is making out that it's ok. I have a feeling there will be hell to pay for Michelle over a long story arc. But I don't think what Michelle has done is anything like what Tony did. Tony is a pedophile, Michelle fell for someone who was far too young for her.

I can't pass comment on original Michelle unfortunately as I wasn't born when she was around.

• Members

Louise is 15, underage, just like the young man in Florida. I don't think it makes her that either, but the way she described their relationship over the course of a year suggests he lived mostly for her and became very isolated to the point where he was willing to abandon his whole life and was left "howling" in a parking lot for her to be with him. To do this with someone who is, in Florida, underage, and a student of hers no less, is very dangerous and the way she described what she did and what they went through sounded like the type of language I would expect when people talk about things like grooming. I think whoever wrote that episode may have intended it as romantic. I find that disgusting as well. She took everything from this young man and then ran like hell. 

Michelle was 16 and tipsy or drunk. She had feelings for Den, which she always did. But she learned from her mistakes (most of the time, anyway) and tried to improve her life. She was a very realistic woman. She wouldn't have fallen into bed with an underage student because her husband was ignoring her. The whole thing is some sort of delusional fantasy of a woman's midlife crisis that was grafted onto the character.

I don't mean to make you feel wrong about your opinion - I'm sorry if I do. If you see it differently that's fine.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I don't feel wrong about my opinion. But I respect you and your opinion too, I love watching and discussing the soaps so all's good.

I felt gripped watching the whole thing. I'm not disgusted that she was sleeping with someone so young. I think this kind of story highlights the grey areas in things like age gaps, pedophilia and taking advantage. There is an age of consent for a reason, but laws regarding the age of consent vary all around the world from 12 in some less advanced countries to 14, 16 and 18 (are there any higher than this) and it's all crap. I think 16 is the right age of consent and should be the world over. Someone not being able to consent, then being able to consent 1 second later on their 16th/18th birthday or whatever doesn't leave much leeway for how different people can be at that age. When I was 16 I wasn't mature, of course, but I don't think one can deny that love can form between people of very large age gaps, and it can benefit and destroy either party. I'm not condoning what Michelle has done. The fact he was her student I think is very wrong. I still think it's a bit wrong they've made him to be so young, but I don't think it automatically means she took advantage of him.

Whatever the case, the episode was gripping IMO. The main problem for me is that she doesn't feel much remorse for it. For hurting her husband. For getting involved with a student. But I think the main point was she was trying to explain how she felt.

ETA Usually when people have 'secrets' it's boring. Elly's recent secret in Neighbours was that she tried to run over her ex boyfriend once. Made me nearly fall asleep. At least this story has provoked some discussion.

• Members

God! Sharon is a f-cking embarrassment. I'm so sick of her being Phil's puppet. 

I loved Denise's attempt to reason with Phil. Honestly, neither of them can give this baby a good life. Especially, not Phil. I hope for once that the writers have Phil show some growth and have him make a sacrifice. I'm over Phil taking everything. Allow him to lose at times. I doubt that'll happen. I'm sure he'll stomp his foot and get his way.

• Members

Ugh! Carmel sucks as a friend. Going forward, Denise needs to pay her dust just Carmel did her tonight. 

I was impressed that Shirley was so understanding with Denise. I enjoyed Shirley for once in a long time. 

Can they just write Babe off now? Why prolong it? She just needs to go. It is ridiculous at this point. 

• Members

Oh! She doesn't know that Denise and Kush were screwing? I thought she did. Oh well. Regardless, Carmel can't judge. She's loose too and lies about things as well. She wasn't even on the Square good and she was parting her legs like the Red Sea for Masood while lying about Kush being Arthur's daddy. 

Good! Glad that Babe will be gone soon. I could've sworn the report said she be gone early Jan. Well it is past that time and I need her GONE.