EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

DTC nearly did but felt she shouldn't be recast. I tend to agree with that, but Sue Tully obviously is never returning, and while I have my issues with the show of late, I do think they are in a better place for a character like Michelle than DTC's run, which likely would have said Gavin was her pimp. I guess we'll see. 

I agree about Denise's mother, although I don't like that they renamed her Emerald. It sounds like a Prince backup artist. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They renamed Denise's mother? Why? So stupid. I've been at arms length with EE as of late. I'll probably slide back into watching it some time this week. I do wanna see Roxy and Ronnie's asses depart on New Years. 

Now that you've pointed it out, now would be the proper time to recast Michelle as DTC would've had Michelle doing stupid sh-t. I still get pissed how they told that abysmal story and reveal of Mark Jr. that went nowhere. I hate how they stripped him of any history and made him some English chap when it was always stated that Mark was raised stateside. Just so many flubs in that stupid ass story.

• Members

It's so early - she doesn't look or sound much like Sue Tully, which is going to take time to get used to, but I'll give her a chance, as I think Michelle could add a lot to the show if written properly. 

I already ranted about the Phil stuff in this episode at Walford Web so I'll spare you reading it, but I just hate this story for Denise. And it's so damn boring too.

• Members

At least they recast her with a critically acclaimed actress with a strong theatre background. O'Connor actually tried and I give him props for that.

Could you imagine DTC trying to recast Michelle? 

Please register in order to view this content

He'd cast a weak actress who would've disappointed. 

I'd be interested to see what you felt about Phil, but I am over Denise's baby story too. I feel like no regime even tries with her when she has all the story in the world via Libby, Chelsea, and Jordan. Bring her damn kids back full-time! Everyone else's brats are back on the Square but hers. It's annoying.

• Members

I'll just repost what I wrote there:

Finally managed to watch the whole episode. The writing seemed to go through the sentimental checklist, to varying degrees of success. As soon as I saw the black cat wandering through scenes just to remind viewers Something Is Coming, I wasn't sure how much to expect. 

The emotions of Dot's last day were marred a little for me by having absolutely no one make an appearance at her party, in spite of the markets likely having plenty of people who would at least want a sandwich and various residents who had no reason to not pop in for even a second unless they're just completely callous. Thankfully June Brown's performance and the wonderful scene where she found the mixtape, plus her final walk out of the launderette, overshadowed the cliches. 

Not so fortunate were the scenes with Phil, which jarred right from the start with Shirley telling Phil the man she'd loved was strong (the man she loved was broken, and she wanted it that way, which is why she encouraged him to drink, so he'd be in the gutters with her). Of course she isn't going to tell Phil what a loser he was, she wants to encourage him, but none of that sounded like her. This segued to the really terrible shoutfests in the cafe with Sharon and Kathy and Sharon and Louise. What "15-year old" girl would scream that her stepmother was a "selfish little cow"? Did someone get the dialogue mixed up? I see that Louise has also managed to get over her supposed grief over Phil to have more giggling with Bex over the great new life she's going to have without Shakil. There are two versions of this character, neither all that believable. 

More bad dialogue was on the way with Denise and Phil, as they went through the motions of his shaming her for being pregnant (oh the irony - it's his child) to her shaming him over his kids being beyond all hope (oh the irony - she's carrying his child). I remember during the terrible drinking-and-rutting scenes that started this story, people kept talking about the incredible chemistry between Steve and Diane. I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now. It's a shame, because another Christmas, when Ben gave her evidence of Phil's role in Kevin's death, I did see a good rapport between the actors. Maybe because that was natural, based on a tragedy Denise has never fully put behind her. This baby story is just generic soap melodrama, and the acting can't save it. Everything about Phil wandering off to be alone just so he can be reminded to come back is generic melodrama - there's no real reason to be sad because we knew it wouldn't last. There was no real reason to feel Sharon's anger, because we knew it wouldn't last, and we've seen her have this reaction 500 times before over everything from Phil helping to murder Dennis Sr. to Phil causing her to get beaten up to Phil hiring a con artist to play her father. She's not a wife, she's a mug. 

Lee desperately trying to hide from the man he stole from - more silliness in what used to be a good storyline. I just want this to be over. The scene where he met Michelle was supposed to be passing the torch, in a sense - the old is new, and the new will soon be old - but all I could think was I hope they give her better writing than they gave poor Lee. 

Other than being confused as to why Mick was happily singing and dancing right after comforting his devastated wife over her mother's stroke, the panto scenes were a nice enough diversion, with entertainingly bad performances and holiday warmth. 

The family scenes with the Fowlers were what I enjoyed most in the episode, from Martin and Stacey grossing everyone out with knowledge of their sex life to the quiet scenes with Jane and Ian and Martin and Stacey, to her hilarious freakout over the cat. To use another cliche, they're the future of the show, and I'm glad SOC knows this.

Sharon's moving reaction when she saw Michelle at the end is what I want to see most for her, and felt so much more like her than the hoary old camp on display with her earlier in the episode. May that die with 2016 and may Michelle's return be the harbinger for better and better things for Sharon Watts. 

• Members

I didn't know about the broken embargo. Then again, I still haven't rekindled my love affair with Eastenders so these things are passing me by.

In fact, I only see bits and pieces of each British soap and only fully watch Y&R and Home and Away consistently as well as focusing on my own writing. 

I'm hearing of improvements to Coronation Street and I'm still adjusting to McLeod's tinkered version of Emmerdale, but is Eastenders (in general) worth getting back into? 

• Members

I'm not currently watching but just watched the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day episodes. I can't stand that Denise is pregnant by Phil. I mean, WTF? That man doesn't need anymore kids to verbally abuse. And that's all they can write for Denise? Please.

I love that they brought Michelle back and it's nice to see Sharon with a friend. The new actress does look a bit similar and since I'm not attached to the old one I liked her a lot.

It was hard to really enjoy the holiday cheer because these people are so ugly towards each other most of the time. And they seem to get off on Dot being all alone. I don't. I was glad they all came together at the pub and gave her a washing machine. I haven't followed much but she's losing her eyesight?

And Max? EW. I've never got his appeal at all. I did watch a clip of Tanya slapping Stacey over I guess Stacey and Max had an affair back around 2007? I wanted to know why she was all happy to see him so I went searching. I wanted to slap Stacey as she comes off so nasty half the time. Is that supposed to be appealing? LOL. Sometimes this show and their harsh characters and tone kind of depresses me but I may try to watch again.

Edited by KMan101