EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

The only thing worth watching is Lee's story, and Dot losing her sight. The rest just isn't any good, or it's incredibly bad. Beyond that the only highlight is that he or someone else decided to put a number of male characters in tight trousers, complete with myriad shots of their asses and thighs. 

Oh, and this past Thursday had some good scenes where Ben had to go see a therapist and blew up at him, and realized that he's only doing this transplant because of his severe mental health issues, not because Phil is worth a damn. This led to him breaking down in Jay's arms. 

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sorry but I am over Ben being erratic 24/7. It's old. Can they allow him to be happy and sane for once? I am glad that they are utilizing Jay but I just can't watch. 

Not shocked that they are investing in Lee now when he's about to exit. That's what always happens with this show in recent years. 

• Members

Lee is likely killing himself, sadly. I think the story is believably showing his mental state, even if it's been weakened by becoming about money woes. 

Jay's story has been a repetitive mess but yesterday was much stronger than I expected, especially since it involved that !@#$%^&*] Phil. Probably the best-written Phil has been in some time. 

I think they brought Derek back for this panto plot, and maybe he'll help Martin with his money woes. 

• Members

There was a bit in the writing that felt like they were leaving the door slightly open (he was obviously reluctant to leave Denise behind; he was still torn and slightly afraid in the final shot; he had that tender kiss with Jane that definitively reminded just how undefined their relationship was - and how sad it is that only when Masood was leaving did the show finally get back to writing Jane/Masood the way it was written in it's best years [2009, early 2010]; he nearly kissed Carmel as they wondered what might have been), but Masood's exit also worked well as a final goodbye. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that his car conversation with Denise about "ghosts" that were with him in his now empty house made me cry a little - it reinforces the power of continuing drama and what happens when you use history in the proper way, use it to guide a character, even as they are closing the door behind them. His final scene with Kush at Zaiir's tree and his advising Denise to be brave were also extremely moving scenes. The Julia's Theme was more than appropriate, but the scene itself in the cab was scared, hopeful, wistful - as it should be. The real material was earlier in the episode. 

I should also give some credit to Bonnie Langford for calming the hell down in her performances now that Carmel is, for however long, being written as an adult again. This is closer to who I liked last year. 

Frankly after the shambles of his return, this episode was far far better than it had any rights to be. 

Not everything was good (the Roxy/Jack stuff stunk), but still, I have to give Matt Evans some praise, as these last two episodes generally sewed together material that on its own has had so many problems and issues that have bugged me and seriously dragged the show down for me in the last month or so.

It's hard to believe it was just a year ago that Masood, Shabnam and Tamwar were still around, and with the stories for Shabnam and Tamwar I felt like the family was in its best shape in years. And now they're all gone. I guess it's a reminder of how much things can change on soaps and change so quickly. And of just how much change Eastenders has gone through this year. 

The Masoods really were the main reason I stuck with the show through some lean times, and some of them I appreciated in a way I haven't appreciated most characters in many years. The Masoods always felt so real to me, so human, and in a show that often trucks in stereotypes for characters of color, that's something I don't think they ever got enough credit for. 

• Members

Oh I've hated Jane for years (Laurie Brett is a decent actress though, although she really seemed to be phoning it in until the last few months), I just always liked her relationship with Masood for how they both were tempted and had a strong emotional bond but both were married and wanted to be loyal. I didn't like the story where they almost cheated and almost went off to Florida, and then I went into white hot rage with Jane after the Bobby reveal, but I liked their scenes in these last few weeks.

I hate his relationship with Carmel too of course. 

Yeah the stuff with Denise, once she accepted his decision and it became about her fears of letting go and facing the reality of her pregnancy with the demon seed, was the best, along with his last scene with Kush about Zaiir. 

I wish they could have brought back Shabnam or Tamwar or of course Zainab but oh well. A few weeks ago when the spoilers came out I was afraid Zainab was going to be killed off so I should be grateful for what didn't happen. 

• Members

I can see Danny Boy Hatchard trying his hand at Broadway if he wanted too. That seems to be up his alley anyways, and I think he'd flourish at it. 

Danny Boy, Richard, Shaheen, Bonnie, and Shona shined the most. 

James looked uncoordinated and disinterested. 

Please register in order to view this content

That intro with Danny Dyer...

• Members

He's also a singer - he really could do anything. It makes no sense to me the show got rid of him. 

James Bye? 

Yeah, a lot of people seemed to just be wandering the stage. They said they had almost no rehearsal time. 

Tilly Keeper's "sexy moves" just sort of show again how miscast she was. 

A few BTS bits are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLFLSEGiY8