EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Apparently, Steve McFadden will be on a "special leave" towards the end of the year.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a212545/mcfadden-given-special-leave-from-enders.html

McFadden 'given special leave' from 'Enders

Monday, April 5 2010, 7:05am EDT

By Paul Millar,

McFadden 'given special leave' from 'Enders

Steve McFadden has been given special leave from EastEnders, reports claim.

According to The Sun, the actor - who plays Phil Mitchell in the soap - has agreed to appear in a pantomime over the Christmas period.

The 51-year-old will reportedly take a six-week break for his forthcoming appearance as Captain Hook, for which he will earn £160,000.

"The festive season is a massive time for soaps - and the Christmas Day and New Year's Day episodes are the biggest event of the soap year," an insider told The Sun.

"But bosses are desperate to keep Steve on side as he will be the last senior Mitchell left, with Peggy doing a disappearing act."

McFadden considered quitting the show earlier this year after on-screen mother Barbara Windsor announced her departure.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Monday's episode:

LOL! at Ben microwaving Danny's little kiss-ass gift to Louise on her homecoming. I felt sorry for him after the cake fiasco though. I know many are annoyed by Ben, but I love his obviously flaming tendencies.

Stacey just needs to tell Ryan he's the father of her child already. I don't know how much longer they'll drag this out.

I know Stacey is supposed to look a bit horrible and depressed, but I think this show is over-working Lacey Turner a bit too much. Look at the bags under her eyes, that's not a makeup job, it looks like Lacey is stressed and needs a vacation! Lacey is a brilliant actress, and I can't fault them for wanting to utilize that, but the girl needs time to re-juice!

I think Janine smells what a rat Danny is. I hope she's somehow apart of it when he's exposed.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Max and Bianca being hostile and fed up with Billie at the hospital. Also, who cares that he wants to enlist in the army? Can he be drafted and die in war, please? :lol:

• Members

Does it bother you that no one actually cares about what is best for Louise? Shirley and Ben were all, "We have to do this for Phil." Why? Why does a hopeless failure of a man, a pathetic boozer, need to be coddled with one child after another he can't raise? Shirley is so weak, she will do anything for Phil. I cringe at her these days. And I think the idea of Louise being a little diva would be fun, but why is she so well-adjusted if her mother is mentally ill and if she was wandering the streets and in care before Ronnie found her? I also sort of cringed at her bad line delivery to Ben. She sounded like Danny, although at least she's still a child, that actor is grown yet he constantly looks confused and talks like he has had bad dental surgery.

I thought Ben's anger towards Louise was amusing. I don't really blame him for being upset. I kept wondering why putting that foil in the microwave didn't cause a fire or a power outage.

Billie is another pathetic loser. He has that pout on his face all the time, like he's trying to try but can't. You can always see Devon Anderson acting. And Whitney does NOTHING but chase after him. Nothing else in the world matters to her now. The bit about joining the army was out of nowhere and ludicrous. He's well on his way to weighing as much as Heather, they wouldn't let him in.

Speaking of Heather, why does she have to make those weird faces in every scene, like a rabbit stealing food.

I thought Janine and Ryan were great, I especially loved when he dragged her back to bed and then when he seemed to be trying to make her feel bad for wanting to con her way into working at R&R, then he said, "I'd wondered what happened to the Janine I knew." or something like that. I don't understand why Stacey wrote the note in the first place, or why Ryan doesn't realize he could be the baby's father. I also wish they wouldn't keep putting Ryan in those jeans that show that he doesn't have an ass.

• Members

I think Shirley feels guilty over abandoning her own children, hence why she's taking caring of Zsa Zsa and wants Phil to be with Louise so badly. She's said as much to Ben during one of her conversations with Ben last last week. I don't know why she's laying it on this thick though.

They have to explain the Lisa issue of this story better. No way in hell do I believe she would abandon her child like that. It doesn't add up. Unless Lisa's dead and someone filled lies about her to Louise before dumping her on the streets.

Danny needs to die. He has some serious nerve being so smug to Janine. I love when she retorted about what scheme he's involved with, because she can tell something is up with him. I want Ronnie to kick his ass and tell everyone in the Michell family, "I told ya so!" when the truth comes out.

Was it aluminum foil? I thought it was plastic.

The constant food stuff with Heather and the hitting us over the head with what a fat ass she is, is not amusing. I don't understand why they're doing it.

I quite like Ryan's ass. :lol:

I think Janine might find out Stacey's baby is Ryan's and will probably do something rash, or keep the information from him.

Do you see how exhausted Lacey Turner looks these days? I know Stacey is supposed to look this way, but I think Lacey is over-worked.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

You're right, Lacey looks exhausted.

The way they write for Heather is very cheap and two-faced, because they always want us to feel sorry for her, yet they also want us to laugh at her expense. There's no reason why Heather should even stay around now. The naivete they wrote with her character just became creepy, weird, all the rest, when she bedded an already attached 18 year old, had "special cuddles" with him, and actually expected him to live happily ever after with her. Those faces she kept making when she was talking to Billy got on my last nerve. She's not cute.

I never understand Phil storylines. He destroys everyone around him. He just takes and takes and takes and rarely gives back. He has caused Ben horrible pain, both from Stella and from being more interested in the bottle than in his son's welfare. And now we should be happy he's getting another child, even as he continues to barely tolerate the "family" he does have? The show seems to see him as this great man we're supposed to love the worse he behaves. It's all very Victor Newman.

I guess that's why I can sympathize with Ben.

• Members

Bringing it back to the writer's discussion.

Here's what Kirkwood said in 2007 at Hollyoaks. Though, of course, he probably won't have the leeway at EastEnders that he had there, and EastEnders isn't perceived as a show in trouble creatively or ratings-wise.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/may/21/mondaymediasection4