EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

If Collins is as influential or popular as he seems to be then I'm not sure if he'd go.

I guess he could change with Kirkwood gone but after seeing those Eastenders specials where he was so giddy over awful characters like Roxy and Sean Slater, I don't know if he will be able to change.

I guess it depends on whether Kirkwood will be allowed to make any changes in the way the show tells stories, or if he is going to be allowed to make any changes to the way that some families, like the Mitchells, have had too much dominance when I'm not sure they are interesting enough at this point to justify all the favoritism. It's gotten to the point where the only story ideas they have for them involve one long lost relative or another.

The show has struggled to fill the gaps in between the stunt stories for a long time now but I guess this time is more blatant because the casting has become so terrible for such key roles, laughably bad.

I don't know if you watch Shameless, but they do a very good job of casting a lot of the roles Eastenders has failed at in the past few years -- young, good looking men. They also know how to act. A lot of the young men EE casts can't act and also don't look that great. The only one I've changed my mind about recently is Ryan.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I should add, right now, it feels like the show is comprised of 95% mini-storylines that have no long-term ramifications whatsoever. There's nothing that seems long-term or planned fully. The show, overall, feels half-baked.

Hopefully, the story development changes once Kirkwood fully immerses himself with this show.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

This kind of reminds me in some ways of some of the Hollyoaks stories after Hannah's eating disorder/McDean/Clare's exit. There were some big moments but often a lot of filler and mini-stories in between. But those stories, the ones in late 2007, were actually pretty decent (Summer/OB, the lifeguard and how accusations of abuse ruined his life, etc.). I know once the Niall stuff ended in late 2008 that was when the long period of filler stuff started. Perhaps that's part of why they wanted Kirkwood, if they think he's adept at this type of format.

I think it would help if there had been stronger character development over the past few years but have any characters been developed? They're either about the same, or have been damaged by bad stories. Some, like Tanya, who were once such popular characters, were just ruined and continue to linger on like a bad smell. Others, like Jack, had been around for over two years before they had any personality at all. The show sometimes does propping to try to hide this but it can only go so far. Like Adam. They obviously use Adam to make Darren more popular, as they seem to love Darren and I don't think they had any idea of how repulsed fans would be about a story where a mentally ill, middle-aged woman had sex with an 18 year old who looks a few years younger than 18. So now we get, Darren is so funny, Adam is awful, etc. But that still doesn't give Darren any more value as a character.

I guess that's one thing Kirkwood usually did well at Hollyoaks -- the character development was usually pretty good and he had strong characters. He created a lot of strong characters. I cannot think of any Santer created. The closest would be Ronnie.

I'd still like to know what the point was of getting rid of Honey and keeping Billy, since Billy has had little to do since then. I wasn't even a fan of hers or anything but it's odd. I wonder if Kirkwood just disliked the actress.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think Lucy Allan was tampering with a lot of Kirkwood's material at Hollyoaks during the last year of his material airing. I think he admitted it in an interview. Let me find the quote.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/a137978/bryan-kirkwood-producer-hollyoaks.html

It makes sense, because I don't think that final year at Hollyoaks really gelled with the rest of his stable tenure there. But there was a lot of actors leaving by that time as well...

I think if they worked hard to find a place for most of these characters, they can be saved. I think the potential is there, but they have to try.

I think Stacey will remain over-exposed with Kirkwood there. She seems like the type of character he'll love. I can also see why he's bringing Kat back, and why he cast Zoe Lucker. I think he'll like Janine as well, and that character could use some better development. We'll probably see stronger women on the show with Kirkwood.

The villains will probably be more fun and properly executed, too.

You mean Santer? Didn't he get rid of Honey?

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Walford returns to web with second series of EastEnders: E20

Following on from the huge success of EastEnders: E20 a second series has been commissioned and will be available on the EastEnders website later this year.

The new content will premiere online on the EastEnders website with a run of 10x14 minute episodes and will later be seen in five televised episodes on BBC Three.

Between January 8 2010 and February 18 2010, EastEnders: E20 attracted over three million requests across the EastEnders website and BBC iPlayer plus over half a million viewers on Red Button.

The first series of EastEnders: E20 will also transmit on BBC Three in 3x30 minute television episodes from Friday April 23 at 8.30pm.

As the BBC continues its drive to develop and nurture new talent the second series of EastEnders: E20 will be penned by the same 13 young writers who were responsible for the first series. All the writers are aged between 17 and 22. The second series will focus on four new young characters who live in a flat above Roxy's beauty salon.

Simon Nelson, Controller of Portfolio & Multiplatform, BBC Vision, said: "E20 was one of the most ambitious and successful multiplatform projects we've commissioned. It was brilliantly realised by the EastEnders team, introduced new writing and acting talent and threaded audiences and plotlines between the main and spin-off shows.

"We had no hesitation in commissioning another series, something which will delight the 17,000 fans who've been calling for more episodes on the E20 Facebook page."

EastEnders Executive Producer, Bryan Kirkwood, commented: "I am so pleased that we are announcing a second series of EastEnders: E20. Not only have viewing figures been fantastic but - and most importantly - we've had such positive feedback from the viewers.

"It'll be very exciting to see where our brilliant young writers will take the next series and the evolution of a whole new set of characters. The cast have been a noisy burst of fun in EastEnders and provided the show with new faces that audiences have really engaged with."

Behind the scenes packages documenting each stage of the EastEnders: E20 production process will be uploaded daily prior to episodes going live.

EastEnders: E20 was commissioned by BBC Multiplatform commissioning Executive Sarah Clay from BBC Drama Production.

The series is a product of EastEnders and the BBC new talent initiative, both overseen by John Yorke, Controller BBC Drama Production & New Talent. John Yorke is the Executive Producer along with Bryan Kirkwood, EastEnders Executive Producer. The series will again be produced by Deborah Sathe.

EastEnders: E20 series 2 will be available at bbc.co.uk/eastenders with repeats on BBC Three in September 2010.

• Members

The first E20 started off decently but then whimpered out, probably when they had Leon and Zsa Zsa have sex in front of her father's grave. The writing for Leon and Fatboy was better on there, although even on E20 Leon seemed pointless. Their introductions to Eastenders have been terrible, and don't fill me with a lot of hope for the second group. I'm still amazed that they cast these actors who look 30 to play teenagers.

I'd love to see that. THe women he wrote for on Hollyoaks did generally seem strong, with a few exceptions. People say that Eastenders has strong women but I don't think that's true anymore, unless you count yelling.

• Members

Figures the board was out yesterday -- you probably loved those scenes with Ryan and Janine, didn't you? I thought they were a lot of fun, especially the "reference," and Janine saying Ryan was a closet case. Neil and Charlie work splendidly together. I'm not sure what happened to Pat owning the bookies. Then again I'm still not sure why they gave Pat a massive heart attack only to quickly revert to everyone treating her like a pack mule.

I'm so damn sick of Billie having the same scenes again and again and again and Devon Anderson ALWAYS having that confused, boo hoo look on his face. Carol can do so much better than shouting at him in every episode. And him already punking out of the service shows what a pathetic character he is and makes a joke out of the whole debate over the military. Why not have him join up for a while, and return for visits? Then he could get out after that if he wanted to, and his character might go through some changes. As it is now he is just a worthless piece of garbage who ruins everyone around him.

I can no longer understand 90% of what Danny says. Are his lips going to cover his entire face soon?

I love Zainab and I'm glad to see Shirley away from annoying Phil and Zsa Zsa and Louise (the best line was when she heard about the "Emergency Book Club meeting" -- "Is the library on fire?"). Otherwise it was the same old Christian/Syed stuff, endless pouting and quivering chin from the wet blanket Syed and more whispery overdramatics from Christian. Christian was better as Jane's brother and Lucy's uncle.

• Members

Actually, doesn't Sharon still own The Bookies, but Pat just takes care of certain matters?

The references were hilarious, these two are so fun together. But it looks like Ryan is trying to reform, but Janine just can't shake her destructive ways. I can already see some cracks there, especially when they're both working at The Bookies, and Janine is encouraging him to do something mischievous, but he relents.

I loved how Janine teased Ryan all day about that damn tie. :lol:

Yeah, the Billie/Carol stuff is getting old, so obvious they don't know what to do with these characters right now.

He can't even do an evil grin properly. I hope Ronnie kills him when it all comes out.

Zainab was hilarious yesterday - "IT'S LIKE MY NIGHTMARE IS HAVING A NIGHTMARE!"

I wish Christian/Syed/Amira would just be written off already. Such a botched story and there's just no chemistry there between Syed and Christian.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I'm not sure if they're having it where Janine tries to tempt Ryan into badness, I thought that was just a joke. You're probably right though. Actually I wondered after today's show if Danny was going to steal money from Roxy's safe and make it look like Janine did.

What really annoys me is that Glenda was such an interesting character when she visited soon after Archie's death. She had a lot of layers. Just bringing her in for a few scenes with this fishface "son" of hers is a huge waste of time and talent.

I have no idea why they brought Billie back. I'd like to know the thought process here. They trashed Whitney's character for him and have since just put in these stupid "youth" stories that no one cares about. They could have given Carol stories beyond this if they were going to bring her back. If I didn't know better I'd almost think someone hired him just as a warning to Kirkwood that he isn't entirely in charge, or something, since Kirkwood fired him from Hollyoaks.

• Members

Isn't Devon the original child Billie though? I guess they figured they would go with the original actor in the role.

Maybe Kirkwood will fire him a second time. :lol:

I guess they had nothing planned for Carol outside of Billie and didn't think they could bring her back without him.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I hated what Santer and Collins did with Clare, Gemma Bissix was totally wasted and ended up leaving on her own. I don't know where the room can be made for her on the show right now though. But if anyone would bring Gemma back to EastEnders, it would be Kirkwood, given their history and friendship at Hollyoaks. Then again, Kirkwood may not want to bring her back at the risk of begin accused of giving preferential treatment to his favourites at the expense of other characters/actors.

• Members

If Kirkwood does want to bring back some characters,i agree that he should bring back Claire to make the character different. I thought her 08 stint was just a blonde Janine and the story was utter pointless.

I would also like to see Penny Branning back. The actress is on a kids tv show and she is really good. Penny is Jack`s handicapped daughter if anyone is wondering.

Dan Sullivan should also be back (Carol`s ex flame and Bianca`s ex flame - Phil`s mortal enemy)

i`ll post others when i can remember.

Also i want to know what were the highs and lows of Santer`s reign.He has done it for 3 years and i was just wondering what you all thought were his highs and lows of the show were

Storylines

Characters

Certain Scenes

Others