EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I actually think Harry Reid is decent but I just don't know what Ben's point is. There's nowhere to take him.

So, 5 years of Fatboy, long the ire of the DS purity brigades compared to the iconic Zsa Zsa "is she trying to talk? Please make her stop." Carter. What are your favorite Fatboy moments and stories? (or least favorite) Pairings? What would you do with the character?

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As for Gillian, I can't see it happening, as EE isn't that type of show. I guess she could play Kathy's long-lost cousin or something, but I feel like it's too little too late. I always thought they could have done a story where she was in hiding for her own protection, but the Beales, Ben and Phil are too far gone for that now.

• Members

I'm afraid if they do that it will just end with Phil and Kathy sleeping together and having another baby.

I just wish they could do something with Ben. It's pathetic to think they brought him back for what likely would have been a knockoff Christian/Syed with Johnny. The character is just one rehash after another, of his own stories and the stories of other characters. Stories that weren't that good to begin with.

• Members

Don't think Fatboy has done much of anything. His story was with his alcoholic father did nothing to make me care about him (Fatboy). The only pairing I really liked him with was Mercy (and this is probably my fave Fatboy story). I did like his thing with Denise, but that was more about Denise's character than Fatboy's.

His friendship with Dot is the best thing about the character, and I really want him to have a proper home, not keep moving around like a random stray. I think they could have done more with him in the Nick/Charlie story. He also needs a decent love interest, someone he has chemistry with and isn't one of his friends. They could introduce his mother (I forget if she's supposed to be alive or dead), but then all of this would mean introducing new characters just to keep him relevant.

I'm just glad they abandoned whatever plans they had of a Fatboy/Shabnam romance. No chemistry at all.

• Members

I give a lot of credit to Harry Reid and Jamie Borstwick for making that Ben/Jay scene work as well as it did (which wasn't saying much). The whole thing was so forced and while I can believe that Ben would be blinded by a need for comfort and by his suppressed desires, the story essentially is now saying Ben just needs any man, even one he grew up with and has never had any interest in. And that he was going to try to rape Abi if Jay hadn't come in makes it even worse.

Obviously they aren't going to be paired (although they'd probably have more chemistry than Ben and Johnny did...) so either the story will be quickly dropped, or Ben will go out of his way to ruin Jay's life and we'll hear idiots say it's a new, hip, sexier Phil and Grant.

• Members

It would definitely have to be a character she was passionate about, I assume. Out of the characters on the show now, she wrote a lot for Stacey (she practically was the one responsible for making the character successful after a rocky start), Sharon, and Kat & Alfie during her original stint. None of these characters seem important to the show anymore though.

But a Dot centered story is a safe bet, as she seems to be the character writers return for (well, Tony Jordan at least).

• Members

Some think it will involve Jim Branning's death. Others are hoping for Chrissy but I doubt that.

I must say Harry Reid has made me care a lot more about Ben than I probably ever have. If not for the Abi story, the general dead spot that is Phil, and my having no trust in DTC, I'd almost be invested in Ben. I think he has especially good rapport with Jamie Borthwick (Jay).

I read that Sonia hooked up with Fat Boy (I guess to prove she's straight, which is a thing in Walford now I guess)? Geez. Well, I guess I'll have to look for Carol's reaction at least.

• Members

I think that Jim Branning's death might have to wait after the Dot/Nick story. I'm thinking that will happen in the summer. It looks like Stan will die around Easter and I think the show probably wouldn't want the two storylines to run concurrently.

Carl, I agree with you about Harry Reid and Jamie Borthwick but I still think Ben has a limited shelf life in Walford.

Edited by TimWil