Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@DRW50 

Have you seen these interviews? Kelly Condron who played Zara Morgan from 2000-2005 has been interviewing past and present cast members of Hollyoaks. She is also asking viewers to comment in the comment section of who you would like to see as future guests as well. 

The Dog in the Pond - Ep 1 Hollyoaks gossip and behind the scenes with - Lee Otway & Helen Noble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vVTnMU7mVo

Edited by Forever8

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Same here. Hollyoaks has its flaws, but Kirkwood has more pros than cons for me. And the last time he left, the show took a sharp decline down the drain. Though, Emma Smithwick's time on the show is underrated. Either way, the Metro article said his episodes are airing until June, so it'll be ages yet.

• Members

You know what, I had a feeling within my bones that he was going to leave. Don’t ask me why, I just had a feeling.

Whoever replaces him is going to be massively important. Because whatever people think of him now, he has a place in Hollyoaks (and British soap) history. 
In terms of making the show award-worthy and increasing its coverage in the media. Previously, actors would have to go to another show to enhance their profile. 

I’ve been watching the show on-and-off since it began in 1995, and his arrival the first time in 2006 was the start of something different. 

He clearly has a very firm grip on all aspects of the show and it is a ‘bigger’ programme than it was before. 

That’s not to comment on the quality of the storylines, acting, etc. I mean, my viewing is ‘on-and-off’ for a reason

Please register in order to view this content

Do we reckon someone will be promoted from within or will they hire someone with experience to manage the show given the scale of the show?

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

I have watched sporadically for three years, it is my favorite current soap available that I have checked out and I actually watched all the US ones less upon discovering it. Only reason I watch sporadically is a mixture of work keeping me too busy for tv and the extremely large cast and cycling of stories. Most of the cast and stories are amazing to me but it is easy to get lost when someone mehh takes the lead for a few weeks. I hope his replacement is someone from within and that they keep the diversity of the show. 

I would love to see him at GH in a world without Sonny and Sam (I can deal with Jason and Carly). DAYS doesnt have the budget and the Bell soaps will never take any long term chances against the bible belt. But I really don't see anyone taking on the US Soaps at this point. They deserve to be cancelled. 

• Members

I'd say General Hospital.

The show had quite a lot of it's guts ripped out during the Guza years and is currently in a bit of a rut, which would theoretically make it ripe for a Kirkwood style revamp. It's also had some very successful transformations in the past. The cast is large and there is a precedent at GH for having both OTT stories and family/social drama.

I agree and I also think that Kirkwood would probably struggle with the veteran supercouples at DAYS.

I think you are right again.

In addition, I would also say that ideally Y&R should go to an updated version of the Classic Bell style which might not suit Kirkwood, while I think the smaller cast and scope of B&B would be too limiting.

I think the last person from outside who tried was Mal Young at Y&R and that wasn't too successful. That said, I think if he'd gone to GH he would have had more luck.

• Members

I actually really am wondering what he would do with GH-the Quartermaines, Liz and the teen scene especially. I think Joss and Cam could shine with more fast paced character driven drama versus the constant spinning in circles the show does now. 

It would take Kirkwood years of disasters and serial killer stories to reset the show as there are too many pointless, aimless characters. 

I think Mal could have done much better at GH, not familiar with him outside of Y&R but he did do great at setting up the next generation which they actually squandered IMO after years of struggling-Lola and Kyle are meh and Ana and Fin gone. 

Agreed about Y&R-if they became a modern day film noir with psychological angst I would be glued again. 

• Members

I just got caught up through June. 

Is Misbah gone permanently or just temporarily out? 

I was never really into Nancy and Kyle but wow his death hit me. Very well done. 

I loathe this entire Jordan character and the drug operation and he is absolutely heartless. I know they always have at least 2-3 of these characters going around at a time but between him hitting up Leela and Peri and the drug operation it's blah. 

Can't wait for the Toby/Celeste/Mitchell plot to pick back up.