GL: July discussion

• Members

Yeah ... no kidding. DetroitPiston ... we NEED your help! :lol: The opening sequence does not work at all. I just don't get this "Love Can Save The World!" theme. Imagine how embarrassed I was when Tom Pelphrey and Gina Tognoni went up to accept their Emmys when they played it. It's just stupid!

But it does look better. Kind of weird how Cassie's white painted farm turned into a brick house.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The opening completely sucks. I love the "GUIDINGLIGHT" logo, but the rest of it needs scrapped. ASAP.

Noel - isn't that interesting how they went from a worn out white house that desperately needed a paint job to this brick house? And what about Cross Creek - wasn't it some red barn looking thing and now it looks completely different.

I haven't had a chance to watch Monday or Tuesday, but my sis said it was OK so I'll probably catch up later on today after Y&R. That's my #1 soap to watch now. Sorry, GL.

• Members

^^ Just caught yesterday's episode. Pretty good. I loved the beginning and end, especially with the flashbacks to the real wedding. That was great.

However, did we HAVE TO HEAR Cassie moaning and bitching throughout the entire show? That bitch just gets on my nerves and for me, it ruined everything. "Reva got you, she got Josh and she had Josh's children" WAAA [!@#$%^&*] WAA Cassie. If you don't like it, go back to pole dancing, you tramp.

Anyway, it looks like Josh is finally coming to his senses and is fixin to dump her.

• Members

I am almost wondering if we're starting to see Bloom's tinkering (telling EW to focus on production, installing writing teams, etc.) in the scripts. The show has gotten better in the last several episodes and it seems like now we know who to root for in terms for couples and such.

• Members

^^ Perhaps, sungrey. But I don't think the HW Quad has started yet. The credits are still showing DK with DS co-hw. Does anyone know when these "headwriting teams" are going to start airing? I don't remember seeing anything in the original announcement when their stuff would air.

And IA, it seems that couples (well, some of them anyway) are being written more clearly with rooting value (Bill/Lizzie, Reva/Josh) but there are some (Mallet/Dinah) that are still stuck in the same ol, same ol.

• Members

The show certainly looks a lot better now...they're clearly working out the kinks in this new production model because the episode surrounding the movie/shooting the wedding looked very well made, there was one little editing flaw that I noticed but apart from that, it was really good. Maybe because the whole thing was shot outside so we didnt get any of the shoebox sets/lighting troubles, but it looked good and, more importantly, the writing was good.

The only thing I dont get is why there is like one story per day, like Josh/Reva/Cassie one day, Lizzie/Bill/Ava/Remy one day, Rafe/Daisy/Grady/Ashlee one day...instead of allowing there to be balance within each episode.

Does anyone know how this 'two teams of HW' is going to work? Like will one team take one group of characters and one team take another? Because if so, I dont see how that will work, as the great thing about soaps is how one storyline affects another and if the characters were all to become segregated into their own storylines then not only would it mean the show was, in effect, two halves, but also it would probably create a pacing nightmare.

However, if it were that one HW team was in charge for a month, and then the other HW team took charge for the month after, and rotated, then it could be good at keeping it fresh if they followed each others outlines but put their own spin on things.

• Members

^^ IA, UKBoi. The show is looking better visually and the audio isn't as bad as it once was. There was an episode last week, however, that had Bill and Dinah in the Spaulding study. Dinah was in the background approaching Bill and her audio - until she got closer to Bill - was horrible. It's obvious that they have been tinkering with it, though.

Regarding the writing, I haven't heard anything about how these "teams" are going to be setup. I was wondering if it would be setup like the 90s team of Curlee. If they are going to split SLs for the characters, then that is a horrible idea. I don't even like the thought of one team writing for a month and the next for the following month. I have no confidence in their being able to have any consistency with SLs or character motivation/behavior if that were to happen. Not that that's happening now.

The pacing on this show has been non-existent for over a year now. I don't expect that to change with the HW changes, unless EW suddenly becomes a much more competent EP. Isn't it her job to control how the stories play out on-screen and the pacing of them? She really has to work on that issue, which in my mind, is one of the MAJOR problems with this show. Reportedly, she wants GL to be like "The Hills" when in reality, this is a soap opera and needs to get back to telling narrative, compelling stories that the fans want to see.

• Members

So, Ava's had her baby. <YAWN> Who didn't see this one coming?

Really though, this should have been a Friday episode. It should have ended when Remy went into the nursery to see Ava's baby, the camera should have panned up to his face and the screen go dark. Why they have these "major events" (I say it like that because on any other soap this would be a major revelation) happen on off days like Thursday is just stupid, IMO.

• Members

Seriously, Alan the Psychic with Groupies story as got to just go away.

And all the brouhaha over the "meeting" at the cabin? If the "bloggers" know so much, why don't they know they never went inside?

• Members

Alan use to have psychic talks with Phillip. Now we have him being contacted by Gus. I wonder if he told Alan he is on ALL MY Children now? :lol: These psychic talks is lazy writing by Krietzman. Cant he come up with something better?? Krietzman is a big hack!!

• Members

Leave it to soaps, and Wheeler to copy a fad once it has already started to fade. The ratings for the Hills have been sinking for some time, so Wheelie has the bright idea to copy it? How about blazing a trail where other's follow instead of copying some dumbass reality show?

I dont mind big reveals happening on off days. That just means we are never sure when a reveal is going to happen so we need to keep tuning in.

I thought the location shots for the Jeva movie were superb. I just dont get what is going to happen if it rains? Those scenes depended on the sun being out and shining. I am fascinated by the production process, not the storylines.

Please, please get rid of Harley's white trash home. It was not funny or cute or endearing that Harley couldn't get the walls up in her own home and its even less with the Spauldings there. Throw some walls up and say that Blake bought it from Harley. Can they actually film inside real homes? Cant they use a suite at some great hotel downtown and use that as the Spauldings roost? They could even promote the hotel at the end of the show (you know, like they use to do...fashions provided by Lilly Rubin Salon South/Southwest and....Barney's.)

• Members

Gotta agree on this one, not sure where they're trying to go with this one, unless its a ruse Alan will use to get out of a murder wrap, then I'll at least be okay with it, but they need to bring these "I see dead people" visions of Alan's to a point, and fast :lol:

They're doing so much better with the other s/l's but this one is a thorn in my side right now.

• Members

Today's show wasn't half bad. My main complaint with it is that incessant pop-rock-alternative music that plays in the background. For me, it completely sucks the dramatic effect out of the scenes. I wonder, wouldn't it cost more for the license to play someone else's music than to just use some old music from the past? Seems to me that is a cost that could be cut and no one would mind.

True to form, Cassie is blaming Reva for her failed marriage. Makes sense. Spread your legs for some Aussie jewel thief, but the real culprit is "Reva's movie". Why doesn't Reva just slap the [!@#$%^&*] outta her? Why does she take whatever trash comes spewing outta Cassie's mouth? The real Reva would have more spunk that this one.

I like the Bill/Ava/Remy/Lizzie SL. Sure the paternity was no shocker, but the aftermath is playing out very well. I think EW/DK is going to use Option #2 in their arsenal when someone leaves the show - make them crazy. Ava is headed in that direction, IMO.

Josh to Reva : "With us it's 'Always'"

Reva to Josh : "No, with us 'Always' is 'Sometimes'" :P

It's nice they remembered that Marah and Jeffrey used to do the nasty. I thought they had forgotten about that until today.

Archived