Daytime Emmy Ratings

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I thought for sure it would have been because of the ABC shut out. I know a lot of people who didn't watch because of the CBS domination in nominations.

Why are they always on Friday anyway? Seems like Sunday would be a better day.

• Members

That is such horsesh*t and you know it, people did not tune out because of CBS dominations in nominations. It was the most illogical statement I've read all weekend.

Here is why Daytime Emmys was higher last year which aired on CBS: the telecast began airing at 9pm not 8pm unlike ABC. CBS aired a primetime special of "The Price Is Right" at 8pm to lead into the Emmy telecast which is a brillant scheduling move unlike ABC which had nothing except for some Canadian reject soap about hockey players & bimbos airing after the Emmys. If Daytime Emmys were to be aired during the summer, you always air it later in the evening not at 8pm because people are outside enjoying the weather and it's still light out.

I remember in the early 90s when NBC aired the Daytime Emmys, they aired one of their soaps in a primetime edition of "Days of Our Lives" or "Another World" right before the Emmy telecast which was ultra-cool. So what did ABC network had to offer????? Nothing, and I mean NOTHING except for a premium digital cable channel called SoapNet which only less than 2.0 million household are subscribed in the entire country. SoapNet aired their "red-carpet" event for 2 hours before the Daytime Emmy telecast which does NOTHING for the ratings. I thought last year's red carpet host Chandra Wilson from Grey's Anatomy did wonders because she was a fan except we got RPG and RB from AMC who seemed amateurish to be hosting (no personal attack to RPG/RB intended). If I was Brian Frons to get someone to do red-carpet for daytime, I would get a well-known primetime star who loves soaps or a well-known comedian Drew Carey or Kathy Griffin.

The whole ABC Emmy telecast missed out on lack of Memoriam, too much of Cameron Mathison, bad set up in tables which is not working (trying to be like Golden Globes), lack of showing actors/actresses' nominated scenes, lack of premiere musician who could headline the Emmys, focusing on this "passing-around-the-digital-camera" was a bit cheesey, no Game Show or host categories, the fans were way in the back during the this year's event whereas last year they were in the front, and lack of soaps' nominated scenes.

Bottom line is, the Daytime Emmys telecast was used for three things only (Brian Frons knows this!): 1) promo for SoapNet cable channel; 2) promo for MVP, and 3) promo for GH: Night Shift 2; which you couldn't avoid during the entire 2-hour event. No wonder MVP stunk in the ratings because NOT EVERYONE WANTS SOAPNET OR CAN SUBSCRIBE, so if you ram SoapNet promo in people's throat they will utlimately tune out not because of CBS dominations in nominations. Duh!

• Members

I highly doubt the ABC shut-out had anything to with it. The average person tuning into the daytime emmys doesn't even know who is nominated ahead of time like we do. They also probably don't even know what's a CBS show versus an ABC show.

My guess is that the daytime emmys got such bad ratings because they are the daytime emmys.

• Members

I agree, and Friday has never been a strong day for ABC PERIOD. The last time ABC hosted, the show hit another all time low.

Daytime Emmy ratings have been lower and lower each year for a deacade now, last year's CBS broadcast was different though and was actually up from the previous year.

• Members

I partly think that many soap fans who would normally tune in said forget it because of how horrible the nominations were. Soap ratings are down and if they watched the terrible broadcast CBS put all last year they probably didn't want to sit through that again.

• Members

>>That is such horsesh*t and you know it, people did not tune out because of CBS dominations in nominations. It was the most illogical statement I've read all weekend. <<

You want to see illogical statements about the Emmys? Go to the Van Hansis board. I can't post there because I say the truth, but a buddy has been sending me their postings. They claim that Van didn't win because of homophobia!! WTF??? THAT is illogical.

• Members

I totally agree, let's face it Van Hansis is a good actor and mighty cute I might add, but he made a mistake in his selection of the Emmy reel (Van Hansis KNOWS HE MADE A MISTAKE). GL's Tom Pelphrey is good and by far probably the best actor to hit daytime in over a decade which many says he's the next Tony Geary for the generation. This was definetly Tom's year to win.

• Members

the emmys were horrid. it was such a piss poor manages production. everyhting from the red carpet to the show itself.

abc sucks at doing this.

cbs should just host it everyyear. they also are much smarter about the sch. using TPIR as a lead in for example.

but honestly - what was there to tune in for on the emmys?

Archived